Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 23, 2019, 05:15:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st planted tank  (Read 4328 times)
dre_day
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »

Hey there. i have a 29g tank that i stocked with some plants. amazon swords, compact hygro, red ludwigia and a small four leaf. everything was fine for the first month. but now i have fine black hair like algae. i have a plec in there but he does not seem to like it. i think something is off but i am not sure what. i am afraid i do not have enough light power on it. i have a 24" t5 with 6700k and a red enhancing bulb(pic to show range)

i also have a hagen power glow 20". together a total of 48w. so its only like 1.6w per g. i was just wondering if this could be the main factor of the algae growth. i will post tank parameters in a bit, have to test today.

also i have 2 bolivian rams, 1 3 spot gourami, 4 corys, 3 koi angles, and 1 alnibo choc plec.

dre
dre_day
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 03:43:32 PM »

test results.

ammo .25
nitrite .25
nitrate 15
ph 7.2

the results are not were they should be. also i do not have a gh/kh test. the only thing i can think of the rise in levels is from debris and dead leaves. there are a few but not many. i forgot also that there is a large clump of riccia floating around. i think it had trapped some debris for a while. i hope that i can get this under control soon before i loose fish or plants.
Erin

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 06:10:12 PM »

I doubt the rise in levels is from decaying plants.  It sounds like the tank is in the process of cycling.  The nitrogen is feeding the algae.  How old is the tank?  What changes have you made aside from planting? 

Dre, I tend to steer clear of stocking issues because you rarely change anyone's mind on this issue but your stocking levels sound high and this could be contributing to your problem. 

PBITAWA
dre_day
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »

the tank was running for 8 months. then i upgraded the fish in the 29g. i had a cycled filter and added plants and new substrate(sand with layerite) then added plants and let run for 2 weeks. then i added fish.

i think the plec maybe the big problem. he is now 7". i have been trying to get some bushy noise from my fish club but they are always albino and i dont like those. i am still trying find some smaller plecs to go in there.

but i dont think the tank is cycling again. i think it had an ammo spike. probably from the trio of koi angles i added last week. that plus the insane poop from the plec must have done it.

byu they way should i stick with plecs of go with some other algae eaters like flag fish or CAE???
Erin

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 07:17:49 PM »

If the tank ran for two weeks without fish then it most likely is cycling again.  Bacteria dies off without a source of nitrogen to sustain it.  Am I understanding the chain of events correctly? 

.25 ammonia
.25 nitrite

= cycling (basically the same thing as an "ammonia spike")

PBITAWA
dre_day
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »

but that was 6 weeks ago. it has been running with fish for a month now. i read an article that said to set up a planted tank this way. also the filter was already seeded. it was running before. it might have had a slight cycle due to different water parameters(from hard to softer) but it should not be cycling again. i think it may be over crowed.

but could that be a cause for the algae growth??

if i removed the large plec what could i replace him with??

thanks for any help guys

dre
Erin

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:13:10 AM »

There's no doubt it is overcrowded.  That is an easy proplem to fix. 

You should not replace the large plec with anything. 

The cause of your algae growth is excess nutrients in the water and possibly lack of co2. 

I'm sure I'm wrong about the cycle but you might want to continue testing just to be certain.  Smiley

PBITAWA
dre_day
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:08:58 AM »

ok. sounds good. i am planing on setting up another tank anyway. so i will move the corys into it since it will be a 10g. not taken out much but its a start.

i am also planing on picking up some flourish excel. from what i read i can use this to add some co2 to my tank correct?? i will look at some co2 injectors but if i do go with one it will probably be DIY with yeast. i dont think i have a lot of plants and i certainly do have low lighting. so correct me if my thinking is wrong but i would only need a little co2 injection. but i will try the excel first.

also i will pick up some flourish. but if you are correct and i do have excess of nutrients then i should not add it, right?? so i am wondering what is the best way to approach using the flourish. should i wait a week or 2 after using the excel, or how long would the nutrients last until they run out.
sry for the questions but i am a bit confused. i thought i read enough about plants to get started but i guess i was wrong. Angry
dre_day
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »

got the flourish excel but did not get the flourish. did a dose today and will keep a close eye on my fish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation