Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 03:28:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBA killer!! ramshorns  (Read 4873 times)
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« on: May 12, 2008, 05:36:34 PM »

i took 3 anubias nana petite plants out of my 55 where they were covered in BBA i dropped them in my 10 that has ramshorns in it. 2 days later all the BBA is gone woohoo and i think the ramshorns ate it. how long would it take for BBA to die on its own and not be a trace of it on the plants? does anyone else have any experience with this?

Happy Trails,
Nick
lokii_37

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:39:16 PM »

oops can someone move this to the plant and algae section for me please.

Happy Trails,
Nick
Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »

What kind of ramshorn are these? The tiny little wee ones or the larger sized ones. I would love to be able to get rid of my BBA. The Siamese Algae Eaters have nibbled at it but aren't making a dent at all in reducing it.

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
lokii_37

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »

i think they are the little ones. mine are about the size of a cherry pit. i mean they went to town on the BBA. at one point i saw 3-5 snails piled on the plant.

Happy Trails,
Nick
soulm8salways

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 07:46:11 PM »

Wish that worked on my BBA. I have way too many ramshorns as it turns out my yo yo loaches don't want to work hard enough to eat them. The ramshorns in my tanks have done Nothing to curtail the BBA but they sure do know how to breed. Just thought I'd share in case any of you were thinking of rushing out to get yourselves some ramshorns. Congrats that yours find BBA enjoyable!

"Faith began this journey, Love will sustain" 45 gallon 6 yo yo loaches, albino bristlenose pleco 29 gallon peaceful community tank with 10 neon tetra, 2 gold barbs, 1 male betta, 6 albino cories, bristlenose pleco
lokii_37

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »

See that is what i am wondering. the tank with the BBA is my only tank with no snails and i would like to keep it that way but i am so frusturated with the BBA if i knew the ramshorns would keep it in check i would consider adding them to the 55

Happy Trails,
Nick
soulm8salways

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »

In my personal experience the ramshorns do not touch it in my tanks. In fact the tank that has an abundance of them has so much BBA that I threw out most of my live plants(not worth saving at this point) and added in some fake to compensate. I'm about ready to give up on live plants altogether over the BBA. I prefer the look of the live plants and the fish love them but I can't clean them as easily with the BBA. I've tried using the fertilizers recommended on here to combat it and it's worse than ever. Most of my plants are low light plants that supposedly would do fine without any fertilizers and I have just about 2 wpg of lighting. I'm thinking it has more to do with my tap water's parameters from the get go. So I'd say that unless you really want to have bunches of ramshorns don't add them to your tank assuming they will eat up the BBA.  They really are multiplying in there and I'm a softie if the loaches won't eat them then I'm at a loss as to what I'm going to do with them. I don't know that I can intentionally kill them myself. Now I have them in both tanks since the loaches gave up rather quickly on getting them out of their shells. Now the pond snails the loaches will eat but I didn't notice them eating the BBA either. Good lucK!

"Faith began this journey, Love will sustain" 45 gallon 6 yo yo loaches, albino bristlenose pleco 29 gallon peaceful community tank with 10 neon tetra, 2 gold barbs, 1 male betta, 6 albino cories, bristlenose pleco
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:54:32 AM »

I am a Doubting Thomas myself on the rams and BBA.  I suspect that the death of the BBA was from the move from one tank to another, and the rams ate the weakened or dead BBA. 

soulm8salways:  When I get BBA (rare, thank goodness), I check my phosphate.  I usually have to bring it up a bit and the BBA fades.  But I cannot swear that the same will work in your tank.  Most of my tanks are around 2WPG also, but I have non-trivial differenes tank to tank in whether or not and how much fert/supplement I have to add.  For me that is purely pragmatic.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
soulm8salways

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »

Thanks RTR! I need to get a phosphate, kh and gh test kit. None of my LFS sell them or any real planted tank test kits for that matter. I'll bite the bullet and pay the shipping to order one. I'd been trying to wait until I needed a few items to make paying the shipping worthwhile. I did order a seachem kit that includes Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus, and Flourish Potassium. I already had seachem flourish and seachem excell. I just don't want to add anything without testing first and a huge percentage of the live plants I had in there are pretty much done in by the BBA. The chemistry and math involved is staggering to me ,I don't understand any of it adequately. I'll figure it out eventually but have to say I'm frustrated at the moment. I'd love it if the ramshorns did eat any of it, as they are plentiful and doing well in these tanks  Wink So you are basically saying I probably do not have enough phosphate in my tank? Rather than having too much of it? Thanks again!

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:34:20 PM »

Some water supplies are a dash heavy on phosphate, because some utilities add short-life buffers to protrect the pipes, and those are phosphate-based.  At my last office the tap water had 3+ppm phosphate.  I expected algae city, but it never happened.  Phosphate is not the bugaboo it was thought to be back in the days of PMDD dosing.  that was myth also.  But it is a macronutrient, and in very low concentrations it can be the limiting nutrient, stopping plant growth, but some alga can do with very little (less than vascular plants). 

Start with.the lowest of Seachem's suggested doses.and see how it handles for you.  So long as you do your weekly 50% partials, you cannot exced the dosed amounts by more than 2x in your water.   and believe it or not, 2x over is not generally any issue.  One-half of what you need may be too little.   If you have the NPK within needed ranges, the traces are not a big addition.  Excel overdoses have some downsides - heavy overdoses there can kill some plants and even some fish.  I have to be cautious with that because I use so much Val.

lokii_37

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:10 PM »

RTR
what do you have to say about low CO2 level and BBA? Currently i have no CO2 in my 55 with BBA but next month i will be getting a pressurized system and i have heard that low CO2 will cause BBA. Have you found this to be the case or is it more of a fert issue?

Happy Trails,
Nick
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:49:26 PM »

COI2 always gives the vascular plants an edge.  But for it to do that, the NPK have to be there and at least some traces.  In planted tanks, everything depends on everything.  That has all sorts of fancy titles - like "The law of limiting factors"  or the "Bermuda Triangle" (light, dissolved nutrients, bio-available carbon), or just "balance"  When something is out of balance,there is always one or several algae that can take advantage of it.  What slows down or stops the vascular plants does not necessarily slow down alga.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's