Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

June 20, 2019, 06:50:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stocking a 29 gallon tank.  (Read 3374 times)
4wide
« on: May 16, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »

In the tank I have 3 Albino Corys, 5 White Clouds and 2 Chinese Algae Eaters.  I have done some research on the CAEs and I am taking them back to the pet shop today. What other small algae eater can I get to put into the tank. The temperature of the tank is 81 F, the white clouds are fine as I was told they are not tropical and will not thrive.  I am going to add another white cloud and would like suggestions on more fish I could add.  Thanks!
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:09 AM »

Glad you made it here.  I would skip out on any algae eaters and up the numbers on your cories and your white clouds.  Before you add anything, I'd slowly work the temperature down to 77-78f, 81f is very warm for both cories and clouds.

If you absolutely have to have an algae eater, I would suggest a rubbernose or bulldog pleco.  But just remember, they need food too, they rarely thrive on the green algae that grows in our tanks.  Good on you for taking back the CAE's. Smiley
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:45:27 PM »

As Hoots said, focus on getting the Cloud's and cories numbers up before focusing on getting an algae-eating fish. Besides, getting an fish just to eat your algae, is almost never a good idea, very rare for them to do any damage to the algae growth, and for them to be able to live off of the algae alone. They should be treated like all other fish that we get because we like them, not bcause they have a certain "job" in our aquariums.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »

As said... get at least 3 more corries and 2 or 3 more white clouds.  Both are schooling fish and are more comfortable in a school.  With those you will have room for more fish, some of which would be more appropriate than others.  While you are at the pet store... take a look around and write down the names of a few you have an interest in and come back and ask us.  We can help you to have a wonderfully healthy tank soon.

Why do you keep your water temps so high?  I was just wondering, you are a bit higher than what is considered the normal range for nearly all captive fish.  That is a temperature used for treating some parasites as it speeds up their life cycle and allows us to remove them from the water faster, but it does stress the fish out to be kept in water that warm....I was just wondering if you had a reason.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
sharle66
Stand back there is a fish coming through!life is like a box of chocolates!

Tanks: 8 gal qaurantine, 10 gal Neons, 22 gal schuberti barbs, 30 gal (long) two female pink convicts.

for a complete life, complete fish

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:32:39 AM »

Hello 4 wide!  Smiley
You Must Add More Cories!
They are a schooling fish and their behavior imitates this, you will see how much happier they will be as soon as they have some company!
Hope this helps!
4wide
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:48:04 AM »

Thanks for all the input.  I have slowly dropped the water temperature to 78*F and I have added 2 Cories and 2 White Clouds.  Giving me 5 Corys and 7 Clouds.  All are doing great and I absolutely love the Corys.  I will go to the pet store today and come back with names of fish I like.  I want something that gives me a very pretty tank and colors  mix well with what I got.  This is a great site!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation