Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 06:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping Shrimp  (Read 2713 times)
Cowboy Ram
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:26:56 PM »

In the past I have tied to keep shrimp, but it would not take long for my fish to get them.  What was I doing wrong?
Corwin

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:31:48 PM »

putting them with fish

however coulda been something else, can you give us more details?

(kinds of shrimsp/fish stocking, gallonage/footprint/anything you can think of)

but i am willing to bet it is the first

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Cowboy Ram
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:37:04 PM »

When I was trying to keep shrimp I had the same tank I have now 75gal.  I had mostly tetras, one angel, and some blue rams at the time.  I don't remember what type of shrimp I had; that has been about 3 years ago.  At the time I was still growing out the plants.  Maybe I just did not have enough cover for them to hid in when they were molting.  What type of shrimp should I go with with my current stocking of fish?
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:50:20 PM »

Incompatability, I would guess.  Rams are not likely to coexist with shrimp - shrimp are food.  Angel would feel the same, but with a bit less access.

But the we know nothing of your water chemistry either, which could influence survival, Nor the type of shrimp.

Nothing but guesses without much more specific info.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Cowboy Ram
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:24:53 PM »

That was before I moved to Wyoming; before I started to keep track of water conditions.  At that time I also had a 10 gal tank that I had shrimp in, and I was not able to keep shrimp in that tank eather.  All I had was tetras.  I donated it to my sons preschool when we moved.  At the time I was doing a weekly water change of 25%.  I had some small shrimp, I think they were some sort of common shrimp that I got at my lfs.  I did have one of those Singapore wood shrimp in the 10 gal, it did not last any longer than the other shrimp.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 05:42:36 AM »

10 gal tank with tetras and shirmp. Fish ate them.

I stopped trying to keep shrimp in tanks with fish a long time ago. The shrimp would always survive for several months but eventually the fish would eat them all.

If you want to keep shrimp in your 75gal just provide plenty of hiding places for them and cross your fingers. Fish view small shrimp as nothing more than a source of food.

Buy some cheap shrimp and give it a try. Good water quality, hiding places and make sure they get a chance to eat. Other than that, I really can't think of anything else you could do.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Cowboy Ram
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 09:01:39 AM »

Once I get my plants grown out again I may give them a try.  As of now I don't have that many places for them to hid.  I think that I lost all of my shrimp before when they were in the molting state. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation