Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 16, 2019, 10:31:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New tank  (Read 3287 times)
Digger
« on: May 15, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »

I was thinking about setting up another tank.  I really have been thinking of getting a Cobalt Blue Crawfish. I'm thinking a 10 ga tank would suffice since I hear they don't make good tank mates.  What fish (if any) can co-exist with crawfish that I can use to get the tank cycled before I add him and then leave them in?  Are the crawfish hard to take care of?  Thanks.
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:45:39 PM »

Crayfish (crawfish) are fun and relatively easy. Two things to remember: they will eat any and all fish you put in the tank that they can catch AND they are escape artists.

If you put little zippy fish like danios in the tank, they will last longer than say, platies--but they will eventually be dinner. At least, in my experience that has been the case.

It is essential that you cover any and all holes in the tank lid--if there is a way out, the crayfish will find it.

They really are a lot of fun though, and make fascinating pets. Take a look at my article on crayfish to give you a jumpstart. Wink

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article40.html

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
Digger
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 07:34:29 PM »

I ordered a filter and heater today for one of my old 10 ga tanks I had stored in the garage.  The tank is temporarily filled and still in the garage as I watch for any leaks (It hasn't been used in several years).  Is it true that I can pretty much eliminate the cycling time if I run the AquaClear filter intended for this 10 ga in my existing tank for a couple of weeks?  That would be great since I am leaving for a week or two and the filter can be building bacteria while I'm gone.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 05:47:46 AM »

Run the filter on the mature tank and let the good bacteria colonize in the cartridge. That is an excellent way to instantly cycle your 10 gallon. Just remember that when you switch the filter to the 10 do not clean the filter or change the filter cartridge as that would defeat the purpose. And don't put the filter on the 10 before you add the crayfish.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Digger
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 11:55:59 AM »

And don't put the filter on the 10 before you add the crayfish.

Really?  Add the crayfish first to the uncycled tank?  How long do I put him in before I add the filter? confused

Thanks so much for stating that.  I would have done it the other way and messed things up it seems.
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 01:11:48 PM »

Debra means that once you have run your filter on the established tank, you should add the filter and the crayfish to the new tank at the same time. If you add the filter and wait a couple days before adding the crayfish, the bacterial colonies will die off.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »

Thank you Susan!

Sorry if I confused you Digger. Do it exactly as Susan said, filter on 10 + crayfish at the same time.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Digger
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 03:47:29 PM »

Doesn't take much to confuse this mind!!! happy  Ok, now I understand.  

My plans are when it's time to set up, add a school of Danios or tetras for now.  I wanted to make sure the tank was established good before I get the crayfish anyway and I figured the fish would provide plenty for the bacteria colony.  Fish can always be moved when the time comes.
Digger
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 09:02:51 PM »

Well, my plans have changed again...go figure, but this time it was because of a pleasant and embarrasing discovery.  Went to the lfs to get a light hood for my 10ga and found out that it was instead a 20 ga !  I hate to waste an aquarium that size on 1 inhabitant, even if he is cool lookin'. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation