Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 03:05:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snail problem...  (Read 2026 times)
SouthsideChamps
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »

Everynight when my lights go out, dozens of snails pop up everywhere. They are spiral shaped with a long, slender shell. The larger ones are sometimes visible during the day, but usually you can only see a couple at once. They don't appear to be harming my tank, but they annoy me alot because of how many there are, they just look sort of disgusting. They especcially love my driftwood.

My tank parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, minimal nitrate, and I do 25% water changes weekly. It's about a 35 gallon tank. I have water wysteria and java ferns, 8 tiger barbs, 4 cherry barbs, 4 julii's (yes, i need to get these schools bigger). My lights are on 12 hours a day.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »

The snails in your tank are Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They probably came in on your live plants.

You can trap the snails by dropping a piece of zucchini or cucumber in the tank at night after you turn the lights out. Wait an hour or so and then check the tank. The veggie will most likely be covered in snails. Pull it out and dispose of them. Repeat until you are satisified--this method will get rid of a large portion of the snails, but you'll most likely always have a few hiding somewhere in the tank. They won't hurt anything, so when you are satisfied that they aren't an eyesore for the tank, you should be good to go.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:05:35 PM »

Pest Snail Article

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,1040.0.html 

A short article with pictures of some of the pest snails we frequently see in our aquariums.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Corwin

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »

south side, as far as i understand MTS (mlaysian trumpet snails) will all go to the surface shortly after lights out to grab some air, especially in hotter/less oxygenated tanks. (so i was explained by someone on here whom i dont remeber)

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Markalot

United States United States

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »

In my opinion trapping is good, reducing your feeding should also help.  A vibrant colony of Cherry Red Shrimp seem to keep the snail population in check.  I would also increase your water changes to 40-50% weekly, 25% isn't going to do much to reduce the DOC's in the tank and you don't have enough plants to take up the slack.  A dirty substrate is another thing that seems to attract snails and increasing your water change volume will give you more time to gravel vac the substrate.  Smiley

M a r k
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's