Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 05:55:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Assassin Snail  (Read 15337 times)
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« on: June 18, 2008, 08:25:34 AM »

Why haven't I heard of these before? Does anyone know anything about them (especially the reproduction cycle--will they become pest snails in their own right?)

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/Assassin_Snail

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

I can't read the article with out joining Sad

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:51:18 AM »

Hmmm....would it be wrong to quote the text of the article here since I provided the url?

mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:21:15 AM »

Not if you give the citation for it I think...

My friend Lisa has some.  She saw her first itty bitty baby the other day.  If they keep on multiplying well she's going to hand some off to me.  Man I need them!
Take care,
Mary.
kcgirl81

Gone fishin'

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 09:23:14 AM »

Here is a wiki article on them:

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Anentome_helena

I can't find much info. It seems that they eat other snails and will eat pellets and sift through detritus, but will not eat algae. The article says they reproduce slowly--how slow is slowly?

Someone on another forum saw them on Aquabid, but they were being shipped from Germany and were prohibitively expensive. Are these guys new in the trade?

Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 09:30:53 AM »

Cool!   kewl 
And pretty, too. 

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »

Sounds cool.  I can see it now - having to set up a snail beeder tank to feed the pet snails. 

I like my "Pest"snails, they are not a problem for me.  But I would not mind at all having a variety of snail-eating snail.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »

RTR I have about a gazillion and two mts I can send your way.  lol!  I have undulating substrate syndrome again...  uhoh
Take care,
Mary.
plecoperson
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »

The Anentome helena snails I have do indeed eat snails--MTS and ramshorn and pond.  However, they also eat any kind of flake, pellet or disc that's put in there, as well as live worms.

Mary, now that I obsessively stare (with magnification) at the tiny cone-shaped snails mobbing the tank, I think they are all just baby MTS.  My eyes hurt.  But I have seen the Anentomes mating, so hopefully I will get a few more soon.

As to getting them for snail control, unless you have a very small tank with a very small number of snails, they won't make much of a dent in the population.  I got them because I heart snails, and they are lovely and very interesting to watch. 

mduros

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 05:37:44 PM »

You mean they WON'T help me...?!  Twitch-twitch...

By the way, how are the pristellas and mama betta doing?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »

I put that tiger loach that my hubby bought me for Valentines day in my tank late March (after QT) and seriously haven't seen an MTS since!!!  I had billions of the darn things.... and now I don't see any!  I have no idea what the loach is eating now, he  is alive and well, but I think he ate all of his snails the first day he was in the tank!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 01:42:19 AM »

This could create major problems for "pet" snail owners.

If the snail eating snails was hiding out on plants and then the unsuspecting owner put the plants in with their brigs/etc. they would eat them.

Time will tell. What is rare today becomes comman in time.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Jacko
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:41:34 AM »

Europe at the moment is extremely lucky, they have access to nearly all the new Sulawesi snails so it isn't much of a surprise to see someone from Germany selling them on AB. So far the only 3 people I know of keeping them are in Germany and Sweden, I'm trying to get my hands on some but like the other new ones they are proving difficult, all I can really find are the tower snails.

From what I learned from one of the keepers (runs his own shop and is trying to find more on these snails) is that they don't breed fast and they will eat each other if the supply of easy to get pest snails runs out, so any babies they do get would be likely prey for a full grown adult.

www.water-box.de is the site of one of the people keeping, I'm pretty sure Mura is an exporter but since I'm only in my first year of german, I have no clue. BTW, that site is in total german.
superpap56
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 05:19:47 AM »

where were they when I needed them?
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:46:45 AM »

They are cool looking snails,wouldnt mind a few for those tanks a loach wouldnt work out in.

Waiting will fill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's