Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 16, 2019, 04:08:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: half-moon bettas  (Read 1739 times)
livebearerfanatic
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:21:44 PM »

since my tank is too small for a solitary gold gourami, (are you sure about this?  you can keep a single discus in a 10g!)  I have decided to go back to my original plan of getting a betta.  Half-moons have attracted me because of their wonderful finnage, and I would keep it a solitary betta because i dont want its fins nipped even a tiny bit.  Ive heard that half-moons are less hardy than other bettas, and this seems a little odd to me.  The LFS gets shipments of bettas (longfin, crowntail, delta, sometimes doubletail and halfmoons) about every week and I wondered since I doubt these bettas are from thailand, would a LFS half-moon betta be good for me to keep?
on388

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »

You might want to try aquabid... They will most likely be kept in better conditions than in a petstore making them probably more hardy. Also you can not keep a single discus in a 10g tank.
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »

from the "low budget discus" article.  Paragraph 2, sentence 7.  "However, you can keep two fish in a twenty gallon and one in a ten gallon."
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article9.html

Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 07:03:03 PM »

If you want a bit more exotic of a betta, Aquabid will have them. I got my halfmoon from the LFS, and they are, due to much inbreeding, less hardy than the delta's or superdelta's.

Make sure to have enough plants in the tank for the fish to rest when it needs to, wherever it needs to. Try to put the filter on the lowest setting, or block the current with plants and decorations, halfmoons are not strong swimmers in any way.

Discus should never be kept in anything less than a 55 gallon based on what I know. But I do know they should never be kept in a 10.

Ninja'd by Livebearer. Interesting, I don't recognize the username though, let us see who he/she is.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »

aquabid is a definite no.  I'm running on a budget (lol im only 13) and I dont have much money left.  I still have to plant my tank!  Besides, my parents arent going to buy fish online.
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 07:40:31 PM »

discus in a 10g

what a breeder does and what an amateur does are not the same thing. I'm sorry that article says "anyone can do it". The comment may have been meant for serious hobbyist breeders. Even so...I still strongly disagree and know a successful local breeder very involved in ACA who will say the same thing. That's all I am going to say about it.
Read the library if you want to know about stunting fish.

Now then
The petstore betta will be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for a pet and maybe even a breeder if I thought it looked good. If they look good and healthy go for it.

The crowns and delta's, including halfmoons are more inbred as Taylor said and often less hardy. Halfmoons are more prone to finnage problems such as shredding, tearing and just plain falling down ( called "blowing" the fins ).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:46:10 PM by Kim » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's