Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2019, 06:40:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tankmates for betta?  (Read 3439 times)
livebearerfanatic
« on: June 26, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »

When I went to a few of the LFS a few days ago, I spent my time studying the bettas and I remembered how much I love bettas.  I always have been attracted to them, and I wondered what fishy tankmates would be good for a male betta if I find a good laid-back one I like.  Anyone know?
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:17:03 AM »

if the tank is at least 10gallons I'd suggest a small rasbora such as the Harlequin or White Cloud Mountain minnows. Not many, 5 at most.

shadowtheblacklab
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 08:55:40 AM »

or some panda cories. or any of the pygmy cories. or some ottos. rams. shellies. florida flagfish. that's all i got for now. oh badis badis.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »

Some do well with African Dwarf Frogs (ADF's). They're cute. Smiley Others do okay with brig snails, which come in all sorts of marvelous colors, and if you only get one it won't give you all sorts of little snails everywhere. Would either of those species interest you?

renlea
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 09:35:39 AM »

Both of my 10 gal betta tanks have 2 ADFs. Have done well with the bettas, and are fun to watch.
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »

meh my friend has an ADF, I really dont like the looks of it. 

Ze local meijer (I havent been to the LFS in a while) has some golden mystery snails.... maybe those can be on cleanup crew.   And a school for harlequin rasboras sounds pretty good.   Smiley
Wheels on the Bus

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »

Be careful here- it's only a ten gallon tank, and you don't want to overload it. Before purchasing the snail, there's a thread on keeping happy snails out here in Badman's somewhere- it's a good snail primer for the first time keeper. Let me go find it for you, so you know what you'd be getting into. Smiley
Here it is:
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,6317.0.html

livebearerfanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:56:46 PM »

I have a dog so magicfingers dog food recipie would work   Wink

and thanks for the advice, I was at meijer today (I live closer to there than the LFS) and picked up 2 zebra danios to cycle my tank, and I was amazed at their bettas.  Theres a red one that was friendly with me.... he was a nice, deep red and had a touch of iridescence in his scales!   inlove
Digger
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »

My betta gets along great with my zebra danios.  I was worried at first since they are so spastic (danios) that they might stress him out but he just ignores them and goes his own way.  Of course my betta is used to hanging with cardinal tetras and cories as well.  All depends on the temperment of your betta.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »

My Betta has a few red cherry shrimp and a few ramshorn snails in his 10 gallon tank. ><>

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
mohawked_mayhem
part, chef, part punkrocker, part ninja- all cool

Tanks: 75G angel, neons, phantoms, chain loaches / 25G porkchop rasboras, pygmy cories / 2.5G Betta

if the music is too loud, your too old

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:27:01 AM »

Just make sure if you put in danios or any other quick fish for that matter, that the betta gets enough to eat. Danios are some of the craziest feeders i have seen.

May I suggest some platies maybe? Many colorful varieties and not quite as quick as danios. Otherwise I will agree with Kim, some white cloud minnows would be nice, the LFS here has a bunch in, oh how I wish I could get some!!!!

I don't question what I have become, I march to the beat of a different drum, and I'm living the good life provided by punk
shasanoglu
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »

You can put shellies in w/ bettas?  They won't bother each other?  Currently my betta lives w/ a school of zebra danios and cories.  No one seems stressed or worried but I would love some shellies and then I could move my other tank inhabitants and keep betta in there?  I love the betta, he's very friendly!
Wheels on the Bus

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »

I personally would not try that combination, Shasanoglu. Cichlids and bettas typically are not a good mix, in my experience.

shasanoglu
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »

That's what I figured...but thought I would ask anyway since I saw it on here.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation