Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2019, 02:38:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: agressive zebra danio  (Read 3671 times)
livebearerfanatic
« on: June 27, 2008, 03:21:42 PM »

yesterday I got two zebra  danios to cycle my tank.  Today one of them is chasing after the other, repeatedly nipping his fins until the other zebra danio has to cower in a corner behind the airstone.  I am defenintly going to cull both of them after the cycling process is done.  Any way I can stop the agressiveness?
on388

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »

If i remember right zebras are schooling fish so maybe if you get a couple more it will take the agression out. But defintitly i would not cull them after the cycle why not try to take them back to the lfs or rehome them to someone who wants them.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 03:50:22 PM »

I do agree that active schoolers don't work very well as pairs - where you tend to a top dog versus underdog situation. 

It is better to have more fish to school together, but we can't suggest that without more info about the tank size and setup.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:56:53 PM »

blowup its right under my pic, always has been always will be.  A 10g thats in the process of cycling, so I only got two fish  Sad
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »

lol...okay, I'll personally try to remember not to ask you that anymore. lol

I don't remember, have you decided what you want to stock it with eventually?

livebearerfanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »

yep  Smiley

1 male betta (fin variation is TBD, probably crowntail)

3-4 harlequin rasboras (I dont know if an odd or even number would be better)

3-4 gold mystery snails on cleanup crew (or something else if that isint good)
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »

1 gold mystery snail imo. They get large enough to be a pretty good bio-load.

Well, I don't know how to help you out of your dilemma unless you can get the store to take back the danio's.
I would replace them with the betta and only the betta, for 4 weeks. Do two 50% water changes a week. The betta alone should not be enough bio load to cause the tank to spike, as long as you do the water changes.
After 4 weeks add an applesnail.
Wait another 3-4 weeks before starting to add the rasbora.

through-out the process test for ammonia and nitrites before every water change.

That's the way I would do it, easy cycle as long as you're not impatient.

livebearerfanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 08:40:05 PM »

k  ill try to get either meijer or lie to the LFS to take them back    lame  the betta cycle sounds fun, but I dont have any plants in my tank.  Should i plant it??!?!?!   confused    and I fed my zebra danios Tetracolor food, and I dont want to buy betta flakes because I already have a thing of Tetracolor.  The bettas are fed flake food at the store, (I'm guessing BettaMin) and will it accept TetraColor??
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:49:12 PM by livebearerfanatic » Logged
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »

No way to tell if it will accept flake. He might. Careful not to overfeed, it's easy to do with flake and he only needs a few good bites in a meal. Overfeeding could throw the tank into a much harder to manage cycle so you want to watch yourself on that.

Try to get a lively guy, if your store keeps betta's in tanks that would be a good choice.

They should have plants but fake plants are fine, especially if you can find a couple silks. They're soft on the fins.

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 02:39:45 AM »

One apple snail as Kim advised.

Pomacea Bridgessi Profile

aka - Brig./Apple Snail

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile92.html 

Your Betta would appreciate a tall silk plant if you're not ready to add live plants to your tank.

Good Luck

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 07:59:57 AM »

never mind, scratch that idea, my parents love the zebra danios too much to let me bring them back to the LFS.   Sad Sad Sad Sad  I dont like zebra danios, and when theyre done cycling the tank my origional idea was to cull them and bring in a betta, but I dont think they will let me.  I dont want them to nip the bettas fins!  What should I do?  confused
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 08:27:56 AM »

get a 20-long for zebras with increased numbers of them - the parents will like that even better, and so will the fish.  Give that to the parents, with you maintaining it for them. Then get the ten for yourself, stacked as you want it.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Digger
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »

I have a small school of 6 zebra danios and 6 cardinal tetras with my male CT betta.  They get along fine and I have never witnessed a danio go after the betta.  They as well as the tetras and cories seem to just ignore him as he does them most of the time (unless they try to wander into the cave he has claimed as his own).
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »

Schooling fish need to school.  Its that simple.  You cannot successfully keep two danios together.  A group of 20 of them is much better, but even a group of 6 is a HUGE improvement over 2.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation