Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 05:34:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My son has discovered Sea Monkeys...do Bettas like these???  (Read 8477 times)
Tiffanie
Danio Lover!!

« on: June 13, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »

My 4 year old has recently discovered the "awesomeness" of sea monkeys.  I never had these as a kid as they always kind of creeped me out but my understanding is they are basically brine shrimp that have some how been enhanced to live longer.  Does anyone know if bettas, danios, and my other residents would like these as a supplement to their diet?  That is assuming they breed as well as the site claims!  LOL.  I know these have been discussed before (I did a search) but there didn't seem to be a solid answer as to whether they would make a suitable supplement or a worthwhile attempt.  I have looked at brine shrimp hatchery stuff but it just seems to complicated for me!  [I need a blonde smiley!]

TIA!

10g - Baity the Crowntail Betta, estab. 05/07, RIP 03/17/2010
55g- 12 Neon Tetras, 6 Harlequin Rasborsa, 6 Green Cories, 1 BN Pleco; lightly planted low light/low tech, estab. 4/08
29g- Empty for now...
Emily
Caution: May Bite

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »

The short answer is... Yes! They will chase them down, eat them, and like them. Smiley
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:18 AM »

they will absolutely eat them.Whether you can raise enough for it to be worthwhile,thats a different story.

Waiting will fill
Tiffanie
Danio Lover!!

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:13:08 AM »

Would it be better to go for a brine shrimp hatchery like this from Drs Foster/Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10692??  I like the idea that this is a continuous feed type situation.  Is it even worth it for any of this??

55g- 12 Neon Tetras, 6 Harlequin Rasborsa, 6 Green Cories, 1 BN Pleco; lightly planted low light/low tech, estab. 4/08
29g- Empty for now...
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »

Well the newly hatched brine shrimp are a bit small to be very worhwhile for an adult betta to hunt down,he may not even bother.They do however make excellent food for small fish and fry.
No idea if that particular hatchery is any good or not,I hatch shrimp in a 2 liter soda bottle.Screw the top on tight cut the bottom off,use an airstone all the way to the bottom to keep the eggs agitated, the more they are agitated the better they hatch.

Waiting will fill
Tiffanie
Danio Lover!!

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:26:54 AM »

Gomez - That sounds easy enough...the 2 liter.  I'm not sure my betta is into the whole hunt for food thing...I put some frozen (rinsed to thaw) food into his tank the other night and he didn't go near it.  My 55g residents however could not get enough!!  Maybe I'll focus on this mostly for the big tank and throw Baity a shrimp every now and then to see what he does.  My fish all seem to have Mickey D type taste...flakes, freeze-dried bloodworms and a frozen treat every now and then.  I put lettuce in the other night and they wouldn't go near.  Finally one of the danios ventured forth.  They nibbled but that was it...left it alone for the rest of the night.

29g- Empty for now...
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »

Tiffanie...The link doesn't work. I'm guessing you were looking at the Continuous Hatch N Feeder... I had that (or something very similar) it did not work well.

Did you blanch the lettuce at all? Sometimes the foods need to be just so slightly cooked and softened. Try a small piece of cucumber without the skin...many fish will find that yummy.

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Tiffanie
Danio Lover!!

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »

Ok, then I figure I'll skip the whole thing altogether and spend my money on bogwood instead!  LOL  Thanks, Gopi.

I didn't blanch it first but i rinsed it in freezing cold water and really "massaged" it to try and break up the membranes a bit.  Maybe they just need to get used to it.  With the cukes, I am assuming seeds would be a bad thing, right so just the "meaty" part?  Do you clip yours or just let it float? 

29g- Empty for now...
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 11:00:39 AM »

I sink it with a rock. The seeds usually don't get eaten in my tanks. Also, remember...those small fish can't exactly take "bites" out of things the way we could nibble. Large chunks will make eating it difficult. (Rasping fish like plecos don't have as much as an issue)

Tiffanie
Danio Lover!!

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 12:11:56 PM »

Gopi, how long do you let it sit down there before cleaning it up, if there's anything left that is?  I heard you shouldn't leave stuff in the tank longer than 24 hours but I started worrying about the lettuce after just a few!  lol  Would my cories be considered rasping fish?  I didn't even think about them liking that sort of stuff! 

29g- Empty for now...
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »

cories should like it... You could put it in at night and then remove in the morning...if there's anything left to remove.

Tiffanie
Danio Lover!!

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 12:59:07 PM »

Thanks a bunch, Gopi!  I'll give the cukes a try tonight.

29g- Empty for now...
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »

sea monkeys are just brine shrimp, same with triops or whatever the people are coming up to fool people with.  If its "ancient crustaceans from the dinosaur era!,"  its probably brine shrimp  Wink  (I learned this the hard way lol)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation