Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2019, 06:44:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crayfish question  (Read 5100 times)
Digger
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:58:04 PM »

I just love the picture of the cobalt blue crayfish on LiveAquaria.com.  I have a question.  On sites like aquabid and ebay I can't seem to find them but I see listings for crayfish referred to as "Electric Blue".  Are these the same as the cobalt blue, just another name?  There seems to be such a big difference in prices from the auction ones compared to liveaquaria that I had to question whether they are the same.  My tank will be ready in about a week and I want to make sure I get the right crayfish.
ElementalSnake
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:21:26 PM »

yeah it's the same, s'far as i know
i've seen em as blue lobsters, blue crayfish, electric blue crayfish, blah
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »

Be careful with this, Digger- I did some research on this for another member a few months ago or so, and I found at least three different animals that looked very similiar. Spend some happy google time and get a scientific name for the one you want, and make sure that's what is being sold before purchasing. They have different food, size, and housing requirements, but the visual differences aren't all that big.

Digger
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 07:08:46 PM »

Unbelievable.  I just happened to be at the LFS today and got a big surprize.  A brand new shipment of yes, Electric Blue crayfish and just when I was about to order them on-line.  Good price too, should save me about $29 per crayfish since I don't have to pay shipping now. 
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:17:38 PM »

Did you purchase any yet?

Crayfish article

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article40.html 

The article should be of some help to you.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
superpap56
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:22:51 PM »

that's a wonderful article there.i hadn't read it in a while.
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »

oh!  blue crayfish and lobsters. 

I gotta a warning for you, and I dont think your LFS is this low, (private "breeders" usually do this) but sometimes an electric/cobalt blue crayfish/ lobster is actually a regular crayfish dyed blue  Sad and it dies soon.... dont be fooled  happy
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »

oh!  blue crayfish and lobsters. 

I gotta a warning for you, and I dont think your LFS is this low, (private "breeders" usually do this) but sometimes an electric/cobalt blue crayfish/ lobster is actually a regular crayfish dyed blue  Sad and it dies soon.... dont be fooled  happy

Are you trying to say that blue crays in general are faked, or just that some crooked breeders fake them?  If the first case, that is untrue.  There are blues from several cray species (as already said in this thread), and they have the health and life of less colorful crays.  If the second case, well, there are a lot of dyed, hormoned, tattooed, etc. fish on the market - a few inverts with the same history would not be a shock.   .It pays to know your dealer and trust them. 

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 01:36:10 AM »

Because crayfish molt I don't see how it would be possible to dye them. Perhaps they could be dyed once but once they shed their exoskeleton the color would be gone.

???

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 06:00:59 PM »

@ RTR     I'm saying that some crooked breeders fake them, yes. 

@ Debra    Exactly.  Which is why its bad to get dyed crayfish, because once they molt the color goes away.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 11:04:25 PM »

If the LFS or other source does not stand behind their merchandise, then it is just as well to find that out and seek out another source for your livesatock...

I am very big on voting with and on behalf of my wallet.  My business is worth having IMHO, and I do expect value for what I spend.  An operation vending faked merchandise has a lot of pitfalls in front of them.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Digger
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:18:47 AM »

Well I'll just have to wait and see.  The little fella that I received looks like any photo I've ever seen of a Procambaris Alleni so when he molts I will know for sure, but I'm not to worried.
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »

as I said, I wouldnt worry because I dont think you LFS would be that crooked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation