Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 25, 2014, 04:03:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how do you sex platies?  (Read 12539 times)
nicci
« on: July 16, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »

I have been having an issue with my platies... I cannot seem to keep them alive for more than 3 months. I have a sneaking suspicion that what's happening is I have the wrong mix of sexes... the last pair that died both had torn up mouths. I moved them to new, separate tanks, but no luck.

My water parameters are all normal. (Ammonia, Nitrites are 0, ph is 7.2,nitrate is 15) It's a 40 gallon tank with a parrot fish (completely docile), 5 platies (now 2), 3 cory cats, and 5 rummy noses. I've never actually seen any fights other than a platy I bought with a nub for a fin, but he got moved to my frog tank immediately. He's doing fine now and his fin has actually grown back.

So... how do you sex a platy, and what is the ratio of males to females? Is is 1:2 like with most other livebearers?

Would I be okay if I only had females?

I had the same issue with swordtails and mollies, so I gave up on them. I really do like platies and don't want to not have any in my tank! They're just the cutest, happiest little fish I've seen!
Help?
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »

sexing platies and other livebearers is easy.  all you need to do is look if the anal fin is modified.  Male livebearers have a pointy anal fin, called a gonopodium.  Female platies have a regular fin-shaped anal fin.  Platies should not be agressive, and it dosent matter what ratio of males/females there are.  If you dont want breeding you should get all males, because male and female platies are usually stored with each other at least once in their lives, and female platys carry the males sperm in their womb and can use it to get pregnant 3-4 more times.

hope you have more luck with your platies   good_luck

oh and you said they had torn up mouths............  what are you feeding them?
maura
Bionic Woman
Local Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

I find this diagram helpful.

Double click on it to enlarge it.

[attachment deleted by admin to increase space]

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
Corwin

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 07:58:02 PM »

here i found some pics on google and labeled them for you with short descriptions of how to tell them apart Smiley

at first it takes some practice, but you get real good at it. keep in mind that the fish need to be mature to be able to tell using the descriptives below. also keep in mind that sometimes females will clamp their anal fine for no aparent reason and appear to be a male, watch for a couple minutes and it will unclamp, certifying it aint a male Smiley

click on them to make them larger (800x600 resolution Smiley )

-Ninjaed by Maura- lol

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
maura
Bionic Woman
Local Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 08:00:25 PM »

I like yours too, Corwin, I may save those photos for posting again.

Actually, posting them in combo may be the best yet.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »

IF my male betta is not agressive to other fishies too much (which... he did flare up at the zebra danios when i put the bag in his future tank while i was setting up his future home) would he be able to be with platies because they dont have flowing fins and such?  there is a new color form ive never seen before i like  Smiley
Corwin

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 08:05:48 PM »

Platies should not be agressive, and it dosent matter what ratio of males/females there are. 

i will beg to differ here, in my 3 experiences in owning platies they have been the most agressive community fish i have ever owned other than my bettas, and since then i have never owned one (k i lie, i got a hitchhiker recently with some fish i bought so i have a prego platy, but it wasnt my choice!)

<-ninjaed again lol, thanks maura, but yours shows more detail, finding a good pic of a gonopodium (FISH!) is NOT easy lol, i had to blow up a tiny one to make it look nice->

-edit for typos-you know i would help my case if i learned how to type *sigh*.

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
maura
Bionic Woman
Local Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »

IME, platies always do better in a harem arrangement; 1 male to 2 -3 female.  Keeps the male from harassing the devil out of a lone female; and also minimizes general agression.

superpap56

capt.video space helmet on oh Captain Video!

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »

at least 3 females -any less and the females get run way to hard-often to death.

One ,knowing I'm one ..hearing of two...like a child believing dreams-always a dream to take you home--day after day -there comes a night , there comes a knowing when you laugh.
nicci
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:09:08 PM »

Thank you so much for your answers!!! And the diagrams! Those really helped...

I think it was a male and a female that got into it this last time. One of them was one of my favorite fish (the female).  Sad

I'm pretty sure the mouths were torn up from fighting... I feed spirulina and flakes.

I have 2 more platies left. I'm going to go sex them now... I may just wait until they are gone before I get anymore... start fresh with my new knowledge! Unless they're females... then maybe... Oh, arg. I'm just addicted!
darkangelchrisandra
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 09:00:33 PM »

lol nicci i'm the same way... but with platys AND guppys lol. i love livebearers lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation