Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2019, 06:24:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: abaloin  (Read 5791 times)
darkangelchrisandra
« on: July 19, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »

i think i spelt that right.... i have one lol

i got a piece of wood from the beach one day and desisded that it would look good in my tank so i put in it there it is covered in spots with barnacles dead and alive and i see one abaloine.... so what do they eat? and how do i make sure there is enough stuff for the barnacals to filter feed from?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »

You live in Florida right?  Abalone (if that is indeed what you are trying to spell) don't live in your waters.  There are 130 species found along the costs world wide, except the Eastern Atlantic coast of North and South America.  A few rare specimens have been pulled from really deep cold water of the Caribbean... but you are not describing a habitat such as that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone
http://www.fishtech.com/facts.html

Perhaps you have a slipper shell?  http://www.assateague.com/slipper.html

Slipper shells and barnacles are both filter feeders.  You would need a significant population of plankton to keep them alive.  There is a product on the market that might work too...Kent Marine makes it, called "Micro-Vert".  Its mostly for corals and such, but the barnacles might be kept alive for a while with it.  They would also need significant calcium supplementation with Strontium & Molybdenum.  Slipper shells need full marine water with a specific gravity of about 1.025+, I have tried keeping them at 1.021 and never had any luck.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:02:36 AM by Karen » Logged

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
darkangelchrisandra
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:12:10 AM »

okay yeah thats what it looks like so i guess thats what it is lol.... i will get that micro-vert that they need in a few days when i go get more fishfood....

livebearerfanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 08:12:26 PM »

lol, at first I thought you meant in a freshwater tank.   kopfpatsch

BTW, you can eat abalone.  Just imagine, tank raised abalone.  Their supposed to be gourmet food.   lol
darkangelchrisandra
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 08:35:51 PM »

lol i know you can eat them, i have before (btw they are very good if you can eat shellfish go for it Wink ) but i don't think thats what it is anymore it looks like a slipper shell. its still pretty cool ^^. not that this has anything to do with this tpic i have sand fiddler crabs now ^^ they are so cute... i didn't know they could swim until i watched them go at it for a while  when i put them in the tank its pretty cool and they are cute ^^
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »

The fiddlers and the slipper shells won't be able to live in the same tank.  The fiddlers need brackish water the slippers need straight salt.  Not to mention that Fiddlers are terrestrial and slipper shells are subtidal.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 09:09:02 AM »

this is just a question, then how do those fiddler crabs way out in africa survive on the beaches when the tide comes in?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 02:14:19 PM »

I know NOTHING about fiddler crabs in Africa.  I would need a LOT more background info to answer that question.  The fiddlers here in the US are terrestrial, but lay their eggs in the water.  They live in salt mashes where they dig burrows in the peat. During very high tides their burrows do indeed go under water, and they can breath long enough for the 1-2 hours they will be submerged, but they are indeed terrestrial critters.  They are only submerged for 1-2 hours 2x a day during certain times of the tidal cycle (spring tide, or during a storm surge)... they probably go 3 weeks at a shot with out ever going under water.  Their food is dependent on the salt water and their livelihoods are dependent on the salt water, but they themselves are terrestrial.

darkangelchrisandra
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 08:31:19 PM »

lol karen sorry to confusse you.... but they are not in the same tank. and these are actual marine fiddler crabs. you can find them called ghost crabs, or sand fiddlers i had two.... but one has seemed to disappear.... 0.o i'm not sure what happened to it i know it hasn't excaped.... and i poked around in the sand to see if it was hidding and i couldn't find it.... hopfully its just hiding very well.... TT. sence you can find these guys on the beach (i've seen them... i don't know where mine came from but i've seen them on the local beaches.... so i think i bought them from some one who just took them oof the beach....bleh lame ) do they need fresh drinking water?
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/cwcs/pdf/Ghostcrab.pdf  is it this one?  The document seems to say they are semi-terrestrial, only returning to the water to wet their gills.  I know nothing about native setups but was interested to see if it was the same crab we catch on the beaches. Smiley
darkangelchrisandra
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 09:09:36 PM »

yep.... its the one in the same.  they are very little still.... and very cute... one has already scared me by hiding really well... even though i was poking threw the sand when i couldn't find him i though well... maybe it died and the other one ate it.... nope it was just hiding under the sand far, as soon as i added fresh salt water and dry sand it came out and stared picking threw the sand lol. 

so does anyone have any idea on how to keep them? maybe just like a marsh fiddler crab? except with salt water instead of brackish? hmmmm  confused
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 05:24:25 AM »

Looks to me like your best advise is right here in that article from Hoots.  They aren't Fiddler crabs, they are related to fiddler crabs.

"While they have long been considered beach scavengers, a careful study of ghost crab behavior
showed that on oceanfront beaches they are more likely to subsist on a diet of the common filterfeeding
inhabitants of the swash zone, like the clam, Donax, and the mole crab, Emerita talpoida
(Wolcott 1978). However, there is also evidence that they may be effective scavengers of organic
matter; on more protected beaches their prey is believed to include eggs and nestlings of the
loggerhead turtle, Caretta caretta (Dodd 1988).
Ghost crabs are largely nocturnal in nature and it is rare to catch a glimpse of them during the
day. Most feeding activity occurs at night, which reduces predation by visual predators like shore
birds and gulls that might otherwise be capable of exerting considerable pressure on populations
of this species. In the event that they do leave their burrow during daylight, their ability to
change color to match the sand where they live lessens their chances of being seen on such a
foray.
The burrows dug by ghost crabs may be up to 1.3 m deep (4 feet). Their habits of periodically
closing the burrow opening with sand during the hottest part of the day and of remaining within
the burrow through the colder months provide sufficient protection from the climatic extremes
that fully aquatic species rarely encounter. These burrows, which take different shapes beneath
the sand, are found from near the high tide line to a distance as great as 400 m (0.25 mile) from
the ocean. A distributional gradient based on crab age is typical for this species, with younger
crabs generally burrowing closer to the shore than older individuals (Williams 1984)."

If they are filter feeders, I am not sure how you would keep enough plankton suspended in the water to support their needs.  It looks to me like they need a LOT of sand to live in and a little bit of water to walk in to wet their gills and filter feed from.

darkangelchrisandra
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »

they arn't filter feeders from what i've seen they will eat anything...  i've feed them clams so far and they eat them well. i will try to add the mirco foods that i add to my other tank to see if they will be better on that i have already witnessed how well they hid lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation