Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2019, 09:02:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could I add any Cherry Shrimp?  (Read 3405 times)
SouthsideChamps
« on: July 24, 2008, 07:05:41 PM »

I have a ~35 gallon tank with 7 tiger barbs, 6 cherry barbs, and 3 julii cories (No fish stores around me have julii cories right now, sorry, I know I need 6, and that is my #1 priority right now). The tank is 1 year old with normal perameters (0 amm., 0 nit., 5-10 nitrate), and there is some algae growth on plant leaves, and also some on the glass of the tank. I am working on adding as many plants as I can. All fish seem pretty calm, the tiger barbs are not very aggresive ones. So, do you think I could add cherry shrimp? I haven't been able to find anything about their bioload, but I'm guessing it's pretty minimal. Also, how many should you add at first? Thanks.
Corwin

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:09:49 PM »

well, if you want to give your fishies very expensive snacks you could add some lol

to be honest i have found my shrimp do way better in species only tanks, the shrimp will either get eaten unless the tank has loads! of cover, and in a comunity you are unlikely to see the results of reproduction.

its not impossible it will work however, but i myself would not try it. . . ive tried the bigger and stronger (and WAY cheaper) ghost shrimp, but their numbers thin slowly till i only have 3 or 4 left no matter how many i add, i can only surmise thye are being hunted down and eatenified.

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 10:31:19 AM »

I agree with Corwin.  The only place you'll find the cherry shrimp surviving and perhaps prospering is in your filter...  Smiley
Take care,
Mary.
SouthsideChamps
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »

Alright, thanks for the help. I might add ottos or an SAE instead if I can.
Erin

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:05:39 PM »

Would somebody please explain all that to the cherry shrimp in my 120?  They are akin to cockroaches in that tank. 

PBITAWA
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »

They breed like roaches and once they infest a tank the fish can't eat enough of them to ever get rid of them. ><>

Erin, I'll take a guess that you have alot of hiding places for them to spend their spare time mulitplying.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Kim
pita sandwhich
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »

yah, me too Erin, I think a heavily planted tank does the job.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation