Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 14, 2017, 05:52:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 75g Predator tank--not for the squeemish  (Read 18340 times)
JOKER

Tanks: 75g-Fahaka puffer; 55g-African cichlid/community tank; reef cichlids

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »

you can keep a bichir in a 75. i have always wanted one and am considering getting one.
Zach

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 04:49:16 PM »

You could keep both of them in a 75 gallon, Bichers and climbing perch are not territorial and are pretty laid back. In fact you might have room for 1 more critter too if you do it that way.

just make sure its not an ornate bicher they get really big, but they are very expensive anyway. also make sure to use sand, I have heard of bichers choking on pebbles.
JOKER

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »

needle nose gar are really cool
i have one and it is really fun to watch
they cost like 10 dollars at petsmart.
turtletoes

United States United States

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »

Oh, Boy!! Smiley I'ma bout to start gettin in trouble..........I could totally find a 105g tank(same foot print, but taller I think) and possibly fit even more fish in there!! lol.  Wink

Just kidding..........

Any other suggestions?? Smiley

don't worry, be happy
JOKER

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »

fire eel, rope fish, african brown knife, crocodile fish, one of those spotted catfish things, any of those spiny eels, ummm lets see thats all i can think of right now =/
turtletoes

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »

Wow, now ya really got me thinkin. lol.......I'll have an empty 60g underneath it.......hmmm. was gonna use it for grow out but........  party

don't worry, be happy
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 09:25:56 PM »

use the empty 60g for a piranha tank   Smiley
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 11:08:58 PM »

Livebearer, that is the second time I noticed you recommended those fish. The 75 gal tank was not suitable for them, why do you think a 60 gal would be?

Lori,

Joker gave me a terrific idea for a fish. African Featherfin Knife fish. they get about 12-13 inches and would be suitable (with reasonable amount of cover) for your tank. They would easily take care of your 1/2-1 inch culls happy

[attachment deleted by admin to increase space]

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
metanis

Tanks: 46G: pair of german blue rams, 3 julii cory cats, pair of keyhole cichlids, 1 gourami 90G:leopard ctenopoma, striped raphael catfish, 40G Fry grow out, 10G QT

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »

the leopard bushfish, leaf-fish, ctenopoma, etc...is peaceful with fish that it cannot fit into its mouth.  they can be aggressive toward one another, but from what i have experienced, only territorial...nothing too extreme.  my cteno will stalk the small fish, but she can't fit them in her mouth yet so she can stay in the community tank.  once she gets bigger, she will go into a larger tank with fish of similar size.  i really can't say enough about this fish kewl
turtletoes

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 01:01:19 AM »

Hmm!! A fish I didnt even know I ever wanted!! lol. The African Featherfin knife fish.......I wonder if one of my larger tanks is going to end up with a bunch of predatory fish rather than bows in it?!?!? What can I fit in a 120 or 125?? Just Kidding!! lol.

don't worry, be happy
Mr T Rides BMX

Now making lures

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 03:05:03 AM »

Bullrout are pretty cool,  Not sure if you can get them very easily over there, but there stocked like guppies over here(australia).

2- 125gal
1- 55gal
turtletoes

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 04:54:10 AM »

Think a bullrout would go well with my rainbows??? lol. I've got so much Australian and New Guinea native stuff that I'm really looking for something different. Some day, I'd like to have an Aussie or New Guinea native brackish tank.......I'll have a small one set up here in a week for some cyanodorsalis blue eyes I have coming in, but those guys wouldnt even be a dinner, more like a snack for the bullrout!! Smiley So, I guess I'll have to have TWO Aussie/New Guinea native sw/bw tanks!!  nerd

This has been fun. Its reminded me of a lot of fish I have been interested in over the years and some I didnt even know about. Now, when I win the lotto, and open my own aquarium, I guess I can keep anything I want.  jolly1

thanks again Smiley

don't worry, be happy
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 08:30:57 AM »

Livebearer, that is the second time I noticed you recommended those fish. The 75 gal tank was not suitable for them, why do you think a 60 gal would be?

Lori,

Joker gave me a terrific idea for a fish. African Featherfin Knife fish. they get about 12-13 inches and would be suitable (with reasonable amount of cover) for your tank. They would easily take care of your 1/2-1 inch culls happy

I should.. just be quiet now   Wink
metanis

Tanks: 46G: pair of german blue rams, 3 julii cory cats, pair of keyhole cichlids, 1 gourami 90G:leopard ctenopoma, striped raphael catfish, 40G Fry grow out, 10G QT

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 10:55:12 AM »

ctenopoma acutirostre is pretty peaceful with fish that are of similar size.  she does stalk this feeder guppy that has about 30 lives:) but she can't eat her yet.  keyhole cichlids work well, i have no trouble with my gourami, but they can be iffy.  i also have swordtails in there and everyone is doing great.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »

Hmmmm, Bullrout? here is an interesting article on these critters:

http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/ncm/staff_htm_files/bullrout.htm

I found it kind of interesting that half the article is devoted to the fish's venom and types of cures and preventative measures for the keeper to consider. happy

[attachment deleted by admin to increase space]

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
turtletoes

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »

Hmm.......How'd I miss THAT!?!? lol. That would be a Bad thing to Not know about your fish. I'm assuming they are not available in the hobby unless you go out and catch your own?? I caught a stone fish in FL when I was a kid.....luckily dad was there to tell us not to touch it. I have no idea which variety it was, but we had to cut the line because it had such a death grip on the hook. It was a small one, otherwise I guess it could have bitten through the hook. Now, I've gotta go do some more readin on these kinds of fish! Smiley

don't worry, be happy
Mr T Rides BMX

Now making lures

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2008, 02:01:19 AM »

They are native where I live, So people basicaly catch them from the wild and sell them to fish shops.  Im not sure i would be eager to catch one though.  Smiley

2- 125gal
1- 55gal
aussiegardener

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2008, 03:36:50 AM »

Which state are you in Bandit? (Southern Victoria here mate). Cheers
AussieGardener

680 litre:Pair Red Oscars;382 litre:Malawi tank;255 litre:pair Acaras;255 litre:pair Gold Sevs;198 litre:trio Kribs, pair Rams, numerous BN's;198 litre:Tiger barbs, corydoras;198 litre:pair Convicts;198 litre(divided) Siamese fighters;71 litre:Platies;71 litre 4 small Gold Sevs;57 litre:Sev fry
Mr T Rides BMX

Now making lures

« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »

Queensland (south east)... man i wish we could get some of the catfish or fish for that matter you guys have around there  in America, especially pacman and gulpers  lazyboy the one cattie i have ever seen was a  red tail catfish and that was $1000 and that was about 30cm long...

2- 125gal
1- 55gal
turtletoes

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »

I literally Laughed out loud when I saw your new tagline and avatar pic. ha ha.

I pity the fool...............

don't worry, be happy
aussiegardener

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2008, 05:59:50 AM »

Oscars are very personable and will beg like a puppy and in general be more interested in you than anything in thier tank.But they are unpredictable and sometimes choose to keep one or more of the feeders as pets!
Would it be ok to have an oscar in such a tank on his/her own-some? Gonna get lonely??! (By the way 48"x18"x18" by my calculations is 67.32 American gallons (56 imperial gallons)
AG

680 litre:Pair Red Oscars;382 litre:Malawi tank;255 litre:pair Acaras;255 litre:pair Gold Sevs;198 litre:trio Kribs, pair Rams, numerous BN's;198 litre:Tiger barbs, corydoras;198 litre:pair Convicts;198 litre(divided) Siamese fighters;71 litre:Platies;71 litre 4 small Gold Sevs;57 litre:Sev fry
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »

yep, we actually call that a 75gallon.  I believe it is considered the minimum required for one adult Oscar.  Eventually something a little bigger, like what we call a 120g, would be even better. It's 24" front to back.

well okay, I have to keep correcting myself....a 75g would be 48x18x20. The 67 gallon dimension that you gave isn't a standard size for us.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:49:45 AM by Kim » Logged

turtletoes

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »

Sorry, it is 48X18X20........what is called a 75g. I think its a given that tanks dont really hold the amount of water they are said to because they base the size of tank on the exterior dimensions. This is an older tank that has 3/8th inch thick glass and no middle support on the frame as compared to our newer 55g that has glass that isnt even 1/4 inch thick and a big molded plastic frame and brace on the top.....

I think I've decided on african butterfly fish, spotted climbing perch, and possibly a synodontis catfish if I find any that are compatable. Still working on the fish room, so havent gotten any fish for this plan yet. But, I'll be sure to keep you guys posted when I start setting up this tank. I am taking suggestions for an "African Biotope" tank......I know its not a Ton of room, but it'll work out.

thanks again
~Lori 

don't worry, be happy
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 12:56:14 PM »

I think Synodontis are schoolers by nature.

Congo tetra's!

samericancichlidgirl
Here loachy, loachy.....

Tanks: I never met a fish I didnt like.

Fish are a pet for life. Thrive, not just survive!

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 01:56:39 PM »

Seconded! I love congo tetras, I think they're one of the coolest schoolers.  Smiley

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.  ~Tommy Smothers

www.noclownsinacube.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's