Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 09:23:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ghost shrimp  (Read 1866 times)
livebearerfanatic
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:57:25 PM »

Today my tank received a crowntail betta and what I thought was 5 ghost shrimp.  A shrimp must've sneaked into the net while the lady at the LFS was catching them, because I have six in my tank.  Which is odd, because I thought there were five in the bag while I was acclimating them.   lazyboy

anyway, one of the shrimp decided to make a bid for freedom while he was in the net at my house because he jumped out of the net (these things can jump HIGH.) and landed on his side on the carpet.  I quickly scooped him up and deposited him in the tank, but my observing him has shown that one of his eye stalks is shorter than the other and the eye is a little cloudy.  I'm guessing this just affects his eye, but will he be ok?   confused
Corwin

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:18:56 PM »

heh, ghost shrimp are *extreme* jumpers, ive lost many to jumping out of a net onto the ground without notcing (i buy 70 at a time so if a couple jump i never notice till it is too late!). . . stupid HRP keep gobbling them up so i have to keep buying more. . . luckily i get them at 13cents a piece

the antenae generally re-grow when they molt in my experience, not sure about the eye however, never had one with such a serious injury and still alive. . . hrps make quick work of them.

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 01:23:41 AM »

Pristine water conditions will help the little guy to heal. Make certain that you provide them all with plenty of hiding places to recover after they molt and of course so the Betta won't eat them.

Shrimp flick their tails/bodies and go flying great distances in the blink of an eye. Just be careful if you buy more because they all have the ability to fly though the air. Wink

Good Luck!

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation