Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 18, 2019, 04:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hillstream loach?  (Read 1459 times)
mattlos
« on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:45 AM »

hey guys i have had 2 of these die on me and both in 3 days. I have a 55 gallon tank and my water temp is around 81 degrees, ph around 7.3 and hardness is kinda high at 20. iv gotten my water tested and everything is fine ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. So if any1 could help i would be grateful. Thanks guys.
Taylor
Breaking Barriers

Aquatically Genuine

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:09:16 AM »

Hillstream loaches are river fish, which means they require high levels of flow for them to survive. And if I am correct, they are still not extremely hardy even with the high levels of flow, but do not take my word on it. The first thing that came to my mind, was that they are being oxygen- deprived. So what type of filter(s) do you have?

But, I would imagine that even a hillstream loach would be able to survive longer than just 3 days without adequate oxygen. So, we will need the actual numbers for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate, as "fine" cannot help us nearly as much as the exact numbers.

See the wind, smell the water, taste the fire, hear the earth.
VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:42:11 AM »

Yes what Taylor said.

They need high flow, high oxygen, and are VERY sensitive to nitrates. So what exactly is your 'fine' Nitrate reading?

In my tank anything above 10ppm and they got really stressed and climbed the walls out of the water.

Without friends everything is for nought.
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 08:36:20 AM »

There is an article entitled "A River Runs Through It", written by Martin Thoene, at Loaches.com .  It gives you a step-by-step of how to build a tank that is suitable for long term survival of hillstreams.  Several people here have had experience with Hillstreams.  Some with the type of tank Martin describes.

Jim Powers--another mod at Loaches.com studies that type of loach as well.  As do some of the members.  Unless you are willing to structure a tank to their specific needs do not keep them.  Definitely a just add water fish.  Definitely not a type of fish that will survive in a standard tank.  Special care is required for those very special fish.

Flow and dissolved oxygen like the others said. 

If you go by Loaches tell the two guys I said hello--and give Shari a kiss for me.  Great people.  They also authored a book about loaches--It is available through this site in the books section of the board.  Buy it--it is incredibly beneficial in helping you understand the world of loaches--and even hillstreams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation