Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 03:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrimp dropping eggs  (Read 2187 times)
Furby
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »

I have a 10 gallon tank with red cherry shrimp and they are all doing excellent but today while feeding them I noticed on of the females that had a clutch of yellow eggs was dropping 3 of the eggs while she was eating. I have some questions about this. Are the yellow eggs normal (because some of the other shrimp have green eggs and they are red cherries also)? Why would she drop only 3? Is it because she had too many as her whole under-carriage is completely full? Will the dropped eggs foul up my water? Why are my red cherries eating my banana plants and my anubias nana (I keep them well feed but they continue to eat my plants; they even eat some of the Java moss and flame moss.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:27:31 PM »

At times cherry shrimp will accidentally drop their eggs. She will either pick them back up or another female will come along and pick them up. Cherry shrimp constantly shuffle their eggs. A Young female is probably more likely to drop/lose her eggs. It's nothing that you should worry about.

Eating your plants? Are you certain that they are eating your plants or are they simply eating algae off the plants? If you see damage it could be from pest snails or the plants might be suffering from lack of nutrients.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Furby
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 11:35:59 PM »

There are no other animals in the tank and I think they are eating the plants because the banana plants' tubers are being split open and the shrimp are inside eating the insides like they would a potatoe besides I don't think that it is possible that it would be lack of nutrients as the plants have the shrimps waste and the excess food that I always feed the shrimp. I also doubt lack of nutrition because even though the tubers and some leaves are being eaten the plants are still doing extremely well. One banana plant even has produced a lily-pad type leaf that floats on top of the water. The lily-pad type leaf is about the size of a half-dollar piece.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation