Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2019, 02:13:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby Bass as pets  (Read 23956 times)
Armyguy911
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:55:49 PM »

First of all I'm 13 and very responsible. I have a tank of Bluegill right now too. proud
The last few times I have gone fishing [Even though my dad said it was impossible] I caught 4 or 5 baby bass all large mouth ansand bass. I have checked my local game laws and is legal to take the maximum of 3 under 7inches. All i want to know is how to keep one and what I need to keep one alive. My budget right now would be a ten gallon tank with gravel and a small filter. Every thing else I usually make from scratch. Please tell me what I need to do. Thanks!
.Ballard.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »

When a member can't decide what age they are it makes me think that they are nothing more than a troll. You have to be consistent with your personal info if you want anyone on this forum to take you seriously.

You cannot keep a bass in a ten gallon tank. Not even one. End of story.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
metanis

Tanks: 46G: pair of german blue rams, 3 julii cory cats, pair of keyhole cichlids, 1 gourami 90G:leopard ctenopoma, striped raphael catfish, 40G Fry grow out, 10G QT

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 12:48:57 AM »

a bass would need a HUGE tank because they grow pretty large, although in captivity, I don't know how well they would thrive.  not only would you need a huge tank, you would also need a school of smaller fish for the bass to chase and eat...neither of which would fit into a 10g tank.  It's a good idea, but definitely don't go there.  good luck with your bluegill tank tho!
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 03:04:19 AM »

Largemouths will require a massive tank, a ten gallon is a quick death sentence. 
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:46:36 AM »

According to the Texas Sate Parks and Wildlife web page it is against Texas State Law to be in possession of any largemouth bass under 14 inches.  Your profile says you live in Texas.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/limits_freshwater/index.phtml#limits

Your fish are illegal.
You said you were 13 on one page and 14 on another.  Happy birthday, only backwards!   You are loosing years, I wish I knew how to do that.

A large mouth bass grown in a 90 gallon tank would probably survive about 50-60% of its expected life span of 20+ years.  They need about 150 gallons to survive.  A largemouth in a 10 gallon tank would likely live about 3-6 months. 

You are breaking the law, you are violating Badman's regulations and you are killing protected fish.  I think you should reconsider your opening statement.  Please put the fish back where you got them, and do some research.  You might want to start with your local game warden.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
kibensis101
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »

I agree with everybody that has replied...   A large mouth bass can reach a size of 30 inches in the wild if food, cover, and habitat checks out ok... I caught one here in Wisconsin that was 26 inches...  A largemouth bass shouldn't be kept in any size Aquarium.... If you must keep one it must be at least 220 gallons...   Not a small 10 gallon....   
JOKER

Tanks: 75g-Fahaka puffer; 55g-African cichlid/community tank; reef cichlids

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »

According to the Texas Sate Parks and Wildlife web page it is against Texas State Law to be in possession of any largemouth bass under 14 inches.  Your profile says you live in Texas.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/annual/fish/limits_freshwater/index.phtml#limits

Your fish are illegal.
You said you were 13 on one page and 14 on another.  Happy birthday, only backwards!   You are loosing years, I wish I knew how to do that.

A large mouth bass grown in a 90 gallon tank would probably survive about 50-60% of its expected life span of 20+ years.  They need about 150 gallons to survive.  A largemouth in a 10 gallon tank would likely live about 3-6 months. 

You are breaking the law, you are violating Badman's regulations and you are killing protected fish.  I think you should reconsider your opening statement.  Please put the fish back where you got them, and do some research.  You might want to start with your local game warden.

he may not be killing protected fish.  in texas you can keep fish if you already own them.  meaning if his family owns the lake, then they own everything in the lake.  that is why you don't need to have a fishing liscence when you fish in your own pond here.  so really the texas government cannot crackdown on him unless he caught it in public lake or a lake where a fishing liscence was needed. 
you can keep an unlimited amount of bluegill according to that article.  texas really isnt as liberal as most states when it comes to the environment which is a good thing. 
my family owns a large amount of land and texas ahnd we can stock the lake with any kind of fish we want to.  it has mainly catfish, croppies, blue gill, and most common, large mouth bass. 

So the legality of it is questionable depending on if he owns the lake.

as for the tank size it needs at least 500 gallons. an almost square tank with plenty of swimming room.  it needs to be deep.  it needs to have varying seasons.  and it can only be kept with fish that cant fit in its mouth.  so you are not very responsible if you try to put a fish like that in a 10 gallon.  that is just my experience with them.
(we have a friend who has a hunting/fishing lodge and he keeps fish tanks of all of the species he keeps stocked in his lakes.) 
SouthsideChamps
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »

Bass or bluegill are not meant at all to be pets, and it would be a very poor decision to keep either, especially if you don't even have funds to do so. Bluegill can become as big as 6" in the wild, likely bigger, and I don't even think you could physically fit a full grown largemouth in a ten gallon tank. Just go fishing, have fun doing that, admire the fish then, and put them back in the lake.
Armyguy911
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 11:57:51 AM »

Your fish are illegal.

=-] Sorry im really 13 i just have two months left till im 14 so i kinda exagerated. But what a park ranger told me was that you could take a maximum of two home that were under 10inches. But thanks
Armyguy911
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 12:02:48 PM »

Ok first of all thanks for letting me know and second I never took one. I was asking so if I could I wanted to know how to keep him alive. These little bass babies are the size of my thumb so all I wanted to do was catch them and let them grow a little and stock the pond on my land my family lives.
Armyguy911
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 12:05:47 PM »

Also I read that bluegills make good pets if they are taken care of right and I've pretty much done everything Ive read on the web and on here. And what i learned from the game warden was you could have as many bluegill as I wanted cuz they were over populating the lake.
Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 12:12:32 PM »

I always hesitate at the thought of keeping a young fish in an aquarium with the thought of releasing it later. Like any animal I have to wonder if it's chances of survival are lessened due to the fact that it has missed out on practicing the skills that a wild creature needs to survive.
I realize they aren't rare and it's not a huge loss to the world if a young bass dies but I hate being the one responsible for that.
Whether you do is up to you.

Personally, I'd leave them in the lake. Smiley

superpap56
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2008, 12:15:22 PM »

as a general rule,barring any strong legitamte reason for doing so,it's never a good idea to take a wild creature out of the wild with the intention of realeasing them back later.
samericancichlidgirl
Here loachy, loachy.....

Tanks: I never met a fish I didnt like.

Fish are a pet for life. Thrive, not just survive!

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »

That is how whirling disease got introduced to our native trout populations here in Montana. It is NEVER, EVER okay to realease a domesticated animal, fish, or bird back into the wild. It is irresponsible husbandry. Period.  I understand that you're young and you want cool fish. That's fine, we've all been there. But it is not okay to release tank kept fish into the wild. There are plenty of options for your tank. But bass and bluegills are not one of them.

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.  ~Tommy Smothers

www.noclownsinacube.net
Armyguy911
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 01:39:14 PM »

Thanks guys and I didn't keep the bass babies and now I don't plan to. Umm I do already have the bluegills and had then for I think 1 or 2 weeks. Is it okay to go ahead and keep them? I guess there isn't really a choice after what i just read but i dunno. And what if I caught some blues and put them in my pond as soon as I got them? Or is that a bad idea to move them from one pond to another? Thanks a lot
samericancichlidgirl
Here loachy, loachy.....

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 01:47:57 PM »

Since you already have the bluegill (*How many?) It would probably be a good idea to keep them in aquaria. But they will need much more than a 10 or 20 gallon tank. If you let us know how many you have, we could reccommend an appropriatly sized tank. I would not personally put them back into a pond. What's important to know here is when you move any fish from one body of water to another, you are risking introducing foreign diseases and parasites. And that can be really bad news for established fish populations.

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.  ~Tommy Smothers

www.noclownsinacube.net
Armyguy911
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »

Okay thanks. And I have two bluegills. both around 4-5 inches long. They are in a 10gallon tank but I do have a 55 gallon one that Currently houses a Bearded dragon which I'm planning on giving to my moms friend. The only thing about putting them in the 55g is the price of the water they need. I pay for all the needed materials myself cuz my mom says itll teach me responsibilty but i dont have 50-60 bucks for water =-[. They move around a lot during the day but usually hide in the stone shelter i built at night and get along well. Please tell me what would be a better idea for them. Thanks.
samericancichlidgirl
Here loachy, loachy.....

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »

Why would water be 50/60 dollars? I chage over 400 gallons of water a week and my water bill is never higher than 60 bucks a month total.

www.noclownsinacube.net
Armyguy911
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 03:06:25 PM »

Because what I'm told is they need distilled water. which cost $1.25 where i live
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 03:09:54 PM »

Army,

Just curious, who told you that they need distilled water?  Doesn't sound right to me.  Distilled water is usually a bad choice for both native and tropical fish, because it's a huge shift from what they're accustomed to; and doesn't contain a lot of the trace elements they need. .  What they need is water as close as possible to the water they came out of, which is probably your tap.

With the money you save on purchasing water, get them a bigger tank.  They'll be healthier.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
JOKER

Tanks: 75g-Fahaka puffer; 55g-African cichlid/community tank; reef cichlids

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 03:31:26 PM »

and reptile tanks tend to leak water after they are used for reptiles.
when you empty it, clean it without using soap or bleach and then fill it up and leave it outside for a couple of days to see if it leaks. 
lizard claws and the heat lamp tend to weaken the sealent.
superpap56
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »

i would add dechlorinator to  the tap water.
Armyguy911
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

Oh wow Ok I never knew that thanks. And where can i find this declorinator stuff?
metanis

Tanks: 46G: pair of german blue rams, 3 julii cory cats, pair of keyhole cichlids, 1 gourami 90G:leopard ctenopoma, striped raphael catfish, 40G Fry grow out, 10G QT

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 05:51:50 PM »

you can find it at any fish store, pet store, or any major grocery store with a pet section.  it's usually not very expensive...just a few bucks for a bottle and for a 10 gallon tank, that'll last you a good long while
Armyguy911
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 05:57:17 PM »

Okay I think thats all the wisdom I'll be needing for now.  I'm actually only ALMOST 14. Thanks to every one else I really appreciate it  Smiley

I'm doing you a favor.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:02:11 PM by Kim » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation