Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2019, 06:29:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pregnant Fish  (Read 1834 times)
Armyguy911
« on: August 09, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »

Okay just to let you know this is only my third post and I'm new at the whole fish tank thing. I am 13 AND 10months old. (no need for comments like this, especially when they are directed at board moderators.) and currently own a 10gallon tank with 2 small bluegill. This forum has nothing to do with my blues just putting it out there. But anyway my Gpa has a tropical 10g tank with 3 red eyed tetras and a red tuxedo fish. Also he has some minnows we caught (5-6) and we just recently noticed a pregnant one. Even though most people think minnows as crappy or boring fish I still want the little guys to be born. How do we make sure the mother can lay her eggs and care for them without the others causing problems, do we buy a whole 'nother tank or get one of thos tiny inclosed net things that seperates her from the others. Please let me no ASAP. Thanks you
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:14:29 PM by texasdawn » Logged
Dawn
Just Dawn.
Senior Staff

Freshwater fish love fresh water.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:17:48 PM »

I have not kept minnows but I will say that most of the time breeder boxes cause too much stress to the female guppies.  They usually do not work very well.

Also, putting wild caught fish in with domestic fish is often a bad idea, as they are not accustomed to they same germs and bacterias, and can cause each other serious health problems.

As for advice as to what to do for the minnow, I'll leave that for someone who may have raised them.

Kim
pita sandwhich
Local Moderator

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:40:14 PM »

minnow eggs will likely be eaten up right away before they even hatch. If they do then the babies will be eaten.

It's the normal way of things with egg laying fish in community aquariums.

Armyguy911
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »

So would it be a good idea to get another tank and move them?
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 05:54:50 AM »

The term "minnow" covers 1000's of species.  What species of fish do you have?  Did you take a wild caught fish from cold water and put it into a tropical tank?

Water warming up is what triggers many fish to lay eggs, so you have probably stimulated her to do so with the heated water.  Does she have a male in there with her to fertilize her eggs? 

Her eggs will need their own tank, one with special filtration and almost daily water changes.  Once hatched it would be immoral to release the baby fish back into the wild. 

The tank the adults are in is already over crowded, your blue gill will not survive in a tank as small as you have them in and now you are going to be in need of yet another larger tank if you let the babies survive.  Minnows will need a chiller on their water, they can't stay in warm water for any significant length of time.  They also require a fair amount of current in their environment.

You need to stop taking wild animals out of the wild and trying to care for them.  If you know how to meet their needs, and understand what their needs are, have the ability to meet those needs and can take them with out breaking laws... then go for it.  But taking fish from the wild tossing them into a tank and then 2 weeks later proudly saying..."look what I have",  is irresponsible, childish and will result in the death of many fish.

You clearly have a great love of fish and the environment.  May I encourage you to go to the local fisheries office and ask if they need a volunteer for the remainder of the summer.  You will learn more than you can imagine.  Stop bringing animals home.  Start spending more time with the animals in their home.  Look into the local Department of Natural Resources programs as well. 

You should give serious consideration to a field in Biology, limnology or Environmental Resources.  You seem to have a passion for it. But channel that passion properly... protect and preserve it, not bring it home and kill it by accident.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation