Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 09:07:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About snails???  (Read 11676 times)
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« on: August 20, 2008, 02:18:23 PM »

Hi, snail people,

I got some flourite from a member here, so she said I should rinse it, and I did for a day with a colander that is really fine. The reason she said I should rinse it is because it had been sitting on the porch, and there might also be some snails. Well, there were, and I picked out all I could find, I would soak it and some would float to the top.

Now, since I put it in my tank I have seen a few and I got them out asap. But, here is the question:

Since I have re-homed my Pleco, I have no algae eating critters. I see a few snails today, that look pretty big, should I take them out, or let them be, OR should I go buy  a big snail, that is really cool looking, thereby giving them less fodder? And, if I do, will it reproduce at the same rate as pest snails. Or do the pretty much stay singular. As you can see I know nothing about snails.  All I know is that I had an outbreak in my Betta tank years ago, and it was horrible, they were like fleas. I think they came from a plant I didn't rinse. But, have learned since I probably over fed that Betta also.

Work in progress...
Corwin

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »

you most likely have MTS (malaysian trumpet snails) theyll reproduce like no other. . .getting a big snail wont help (i have 6 brigs and 5 million MTS) only way to keep in control it to watch feeding. oh they will also find a way to magically teleport to all your other tanks too. Ive tried to eradicate them in 4 tanks. no luck. my 5th tank has none only because it was set up completely separately (actually i set my shrimp tank up separately too yet its infested) , but i don't doubt they'll appear one day.

my original 30 gallon tank has so many they they dont all stay in the substrate like good snails, they stay on the driftwwod too. . . for every visible grain of substrate i can see at least 3 snails. . .  oh and when you get this many because you overfed (liek i did) if you try to cut down on feeding they will attack your plants! (i know they "cant" the experts say, but ive bloody well seen them in action, just like they "wont" eat cukes, but i drop one it and its crawling with the bugger)

>.> yeah am bitter at these buggers lol. . .  and i liek snails. btw i spend about 30 minutes daily squishing any i can usually between 50 and 80. . . doesn't make a dent!

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Santafebites

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:31:03 PM »

Yes, I have healthy fear of these critters, due to my previous problem, and I do have problem with begging fish, a subject for another thread some time. I will get on these two I have seen today. But, a big snail wouldn't be a good idea? I would kinda like a big snail.....do they reproduce too? I've noticed the good fish store lady doesn't have many of those, and they have a ton at chain store, but they (at chainstore) can't really tell me anything about the ones they sell.

Thanks for the advise, now I know not to put decor such as my anenome back in fry tank. scared smiley face.

Work in progress...
Corwin

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:39:16 PM »

if by 'big snail' you mean brif or mystery snails, those will only reproduce with a snail of the oposite sex. getting one is not a "bad idea" but dont think it will help that much either. make sure you dont get a true apple snail, they grow softball sized and will mow your tank.

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »

There are two types of "big snails" that are commonly seen in petstores--brigs and canas. The difference is important, because brigs will not eat plants, but canas will. Canas also get much larger than brigs. Some folks can tell the difference by looking at the angle of the whorls on the shell, but this is a risky method--the best way to know you're getting the non-plant eating brigs is to buy them from a proven source. There are several folks here on the forum who breed brigs (myself humbly included) and would be happy to share with you if you're interested. (I have some pretty purple babies at the moment).

As Corwin said, though, they will not help keep the pest snail population in check. I have a tank with a healthy population of ramshorns--I just pull out some each day and toss them to my loaches in the tank next door. Smiley Barring loaches, though, you can bait them with veggies. Drop the veggies in when you turn out the lights and night, then check the tank 20 minutes or so later--the veggie will attract snails. It's not a surefire way to get rid of all of them, but it will keep the population in check.

Do be aware, if you decide to get brigs, that they need supplemental feeding. Fresh veggies are great--algae wafers and shrimp pellets are snarfed down as well. Smiley

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »

Pest Snail Article

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,1040.0.html 

Pomacea Bridgessi Profile

aka - Brig./Apple Snail

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile92.html 

Ramshorn Snails - Understanding Reproduction

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article43.html 

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Santafebites

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:02:37 AM »

Thanks Debra, looks like I need to do some reading as usual. KCGirl, I might take you up on that offer, purple sounds cool. I'll PM you when I get it together, or PM me if you are getting ready to get rid of them.

Thanks again,
Melissa
Sounds like this might be a good thing as I have been thinking about adding Calcium for Guppy's.  happy

Work in progress...
sharle66
Stand back there is a fish coming through!life is like a box of chocolates!

Tanks: 8 gal qaurantine, 10 gal Neons, 22 gal schuberti barbs, 30 gal (long) two female pink convicts.

for a complete life, complete fish

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:54:45 AM »

hello there just to add my  11574.

I have had MTS before. (not by choice they where hidden in a stem of plants i bought a few years back).
They are the most annoying aquatic organisms in the world. OFFICIALLY.

I started with 3 then by week 2 i had 300.

the only way i could get rid of them was handpicking them out.
I gotta say that took me absolutely ages.

Don't do it.
Hope this helps,
Sam
Digger
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »

This is a great thread and great links.  I have always thought about getting a snail but wasn't sure which to get.  I wanted large but only 1 or 2 and it sounds like the Brig is the way to go.  Can a snail survive in an unplanted tank?
Stampingchick
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

Yes, brigs do not eat plants, so they don't really care whether the plants are real or not.  They love algae wafers and I've also noticed they really enjoy the reptomin baby sticks (it's turtle food).  Lots of things you can feed them.  Oh, and they adore zucchini.  HTH

Amber
Marleyman

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »

ahhh...does this mean that my "apple snail" is not really one?  I have a gold one and he ate most of my java moss, and the other day i got some duck weed for the top of the tank, and he wont leave it alone.  What do I do?
Santafebites

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:32:44 PM »

Marley man, did you read the links? I think it says that the cana snails will eat plants, but the Brigs "rarely" do, unless no other food is offered.   Smiley

Yeah, I'm sold I want to get a brigs snail, my PH is just right too, 7.8. So, I guess I will PM KCGirl and try and figure out how people get critters in the mail.  happy  Good thing I took the boat out of the tank, as it had hard edges on it, I saw that they can get cut. Funny when I bought the boat, I was trying to file the ceramic, but since I built a cave it no longer has a place in the tank.

Work in progress...
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 11:25:56 PM »

The one plant that brigs love to eat is duckweed. They go to the top of the waterline and grab it and eat it. Other than that, a well fed brig should never eat aquarium plants.

Cana's became illegal around a year or more ago. Stores should not be selling them and that helps reduce the risk of getting a Cana when you actually wanted a brig.

Marley, If you can upload/post pics, I would like to see a picture of your snail. Brigs don't eat moss but will eat any food that has floated into it.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 08:13:27 AM »

Wow, I didn't know that Debra. That's good to know (about the cana's becoming illegal).

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »

And I didnt know the briggs would eat duckweed!I have a few tanks that are overrun with the stuff,Ill hace to try putting a few briggs in those tanks!

Waiting will fill
Marleyman

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »

I really wanted the duckweed to fill out the top of the tank to add a little shade.  Is this an impossible task with a brig in the tank?
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »

Brigs will/can clear an aquarium of duckweed.

Gomez, don't feed the brigs extra treats and they will eat the duckweed at an astonishing rate.

Marleyman, If you already have alot of duckweed and only one brig then the duckweed might have a chance to grow and multiply at a fast enough rate that the brig won't wipe it ALL out. Duckweed grows quickly and will/can become a thick, light blocking nuisance. * I still want to see a pic of your snail. Wink

Marleyman, feed your brigs extra treats. Fruits/Vegetables are good for them. At times you have to try different foods to find out what they like. Read the keeping happy snails thread at the top of this section.

HTH

Marleyman

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »

My camera is broken, so its hard to get a picture..lol.  But for some reason I think it may be a cana.  In which case, I took him out of my tank and put him in a small tank with some water from the original tank, and I'll bring him to the lfs and see if they will take him.
Santafebites

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 03:23:28 PM »

Hi, I went to the "big fish store" today, and wasn't going to buy anything, just a looky lou. It is the one Texas Dawn recommends.

So, yeah, I got a "Mystery Snail". I just looked on the profiles of snails, so is that the same thing as a brigs? Or apple snail, she(gal at store) said those are illegal in Texas. I didn't bother to get into a discussion with her, as I don't know anything about snails. But, she said they were raised locally, and I just couldn't wait to try and figure out how to buy snails in the snail mail. I got a brown one...and I'm putting it in the guppy fry tank, as it is the only tank with a complete lid. Plus, I read it may contribute to the infusoria.  happy

Work in progress...
Corwin

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »

brigs and mystery snails are one and the same afaik, i think there is a diference between the apple snail and those though. .  i could be wrong??

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
Santafebites

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »

That's a good thing right? It made it alive, it's about a hundred here today, so I took it into the grocery store with me. LOL. And it is climbing up my tank now, munching on some algae I think. The fry are inspecting it, I like it.

Work in progress...
Corwin

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

my honduran red points will push my brigs around the tank when they get in their territory, its pretty funny, the birgs just letem do it then com right back to munching. i had a betta that would love to knock them from the tank walls lol.

wait till yours starts srufing upside down on the water surface, or gliding from the top of the tank to the bottom on a bubble lol ^ ^ very fun snails!

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

2 Cats

2 Dog
Jobysan
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »

OK... quick question

How'd i get rid of them before it gets too bad?

Any snails i mean.

I've not even got my fish yet and just found a really small baby snail sitting on one of my rocks.

I'll be getting some Corydoras as my fish, will this help stop my tank being over ridden in months to come?
Santafebites

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 11:55:39 PM »

Hi, I directed Jobysan to the various "pest snail" threads.
Wow, I had no idea how cool snails can be, I love my new snail. Previously I thought of snails as pests not only in my tank, but in my garden as well. Now that it is a helpful critter, I am fascinated with it. I named it "question mark" as in a band from '60's. Question mark and the Mysterian's. It is actually cleaning algae off the side of the tank, even though it has been said that they don't, I didn't know it would have antenna and be so active.  rofl

Work in progress...
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 01:08:06 AM »

I like "pest" snails and have had them forever.  Almost all my non-breeding tanks have them, or shimp, or both.   Having kept them so long, and raised so many as puffer food, I have selected the common ramshorns for reds (very dark is my favorite, and an orange-red strain as well) plus white-bodied stain that is too weak to pass around.  Pond snails I have selected only for white, but it is much more normal than the white-bodied ramshorns.  Freshwater inverts are interesting critters, IMHO.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's