Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 13, 2019, 05:01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever kept freshwater clams?  (Read 6936 times)
Stampingchick
« on: August 22, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »

Hi, 

I was thinking about getting some freshwater clams to go in my 46 gallon.  I was wondering if anyone had ever kept these.  They seem pretty cool, but I wanted some feedback.  TIA,

Amber
superpap56
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:50:59 AM »

you know Amber -you have now made me curious. I also shall be awaiting the responses.
Stampingchick
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 10:33:32 AM »

They seem pretty cool.  The only thing I was wondering is that I have gravel, not sand.  I know they like to bury themselves under the substrate and I wasn't sure how the gravel would work for that. Plus I was wondering are they interesting or do they just hide?  I saw a video of one burying himself under the sand on youtube and it was ooky.  Looked like The Blob.  But I think I would love to have them to get the food bits that my snails and cories miss (although there's not tons, there's enough that when I vac the gravel it's icky ~ not to be confused with ooky).

Amber
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 11:15:10 PM »

I have never kept clams.

I remember a post from a member (I don't remember who it was) who basically said that their clam didn't do anything. The member stated that the most exciting thing she ever observed it do was stick out its "tongue".

I thought it was funny but if you think about it, exactly what is a clam going to do other than just kind of sit there on the substrate? happy

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Stampingchick
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 11:53:59 PM »

Well, I've heard they bury themselves under the substrate and get at the detritus.  I was mainly just wondering if the gravel would be bad for them...

Amber
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:35:33 AM »

The gravel substrate will be fine and will not harm them in any way. Freshwater clams come from lakes and streams.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Stampingchick
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:53:08 PM »

Thanks!  I guess I'll be the first on here to try them!  Smiley
Phoog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:48:36 PM »

I have had case of the clams before...you gotta see the doctor...lol..ok...seriously I have had a freshwater clam and I thought he was very cool.  He would crack open and sometimes ooze all the way out or sometimes just a little mouth thing with eyelashes on it...would be out filtering in the goodies.  He did bury himself in the gravel partially.  I thought he was very cool.  If you watch your tank a lot you will see some fun stuff!
turtletoes

United States United States

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »

I missed this before......I've had a couple FW clams.....they were pretty cool. But. they really dont do much beyond burrying themselves in the substrate(this tank was fluorite). But, they only lived about 6 months....I had 2 of them, one died 1st and the second followed within a couple weeks. I hadnt done anything different with the tank around the time they died....I had forgotten they were in there a couple times and moved them by accident when I rearranged the substrate/plants. So, I cant really say why they died or if they dont really live that long(all the rest that the LFS had are either dead or sold. I'm sure there are also many types--and some are probably mislabeled as happens a lot of times with fish.....I'd have them again, if I knew they were truely freshwater, and knew they werent going to die within a few months....I think filter feeders are part of a well balanced aquarium(I also like to keep filter-feeding shrimp, like bamboo shrimp--I've got 4 of them in my 125g.
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 09:55:06 AM »

Just a thought, If they burrow under the sand or gravel out of site and you lose them and then they die, they could potentially contaminate your tank. Not a problem if you constantly monitor the water and know where they are but in a bigger tank you may lose sight of where they've burrowed. I've read they are not long-lived as well, Also some of these type FW clams are considered invasive species, just some things to ponder on.

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
Stampingchick
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »

Hmmm...  Okay.  I'm still thinking about it.  I won't be doing anything soon, since my mom's in the hospital, but good infos!  Thanks!  I would love to have some shrimp, but I'm afraid my betta would think they're snacks.  (Although he's convinced he's a cory, so maybe not).
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »

They won't eat detritus in your gravel.  They are filter feeders.  They filter stuff out of the water to eat.  You already have a filter doing that.  Your clam/mussel would be competing with your filter,and I assure you the filter would win.  They don't last long in tanks that have good filtration.  They starve to death.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Stampingchick
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 12:51:27 AM »

Ah.  Good to know!!  *crosses clams off her list*  dang it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation