Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 04:53:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Velvet" Algea  (Read 7780 times)
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« on: August 28, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »

Ok, I've had plenty of different types of algea in my tanks over the last few years, Red, Green, Stringy, hard to remove, even BGA at one point  lame  but this is different  confused

The Sword I got from Sully (Bleheri) grew ABSOLUTELY FABULOUSLY under little light. When I transfered the 20g into a 50g, the light improved greatly. Plant did fine, shot off a TON of babies, even. However, every leaf (pretty much) became completely covered in a very soft, velvety, bright green algea. No threads, not spotty. It was like someone carpeted the leaves. Made the plant feel like an African Violet happy

I have now moved the plant to the 125g and over the past few weeks managed to remove almost all the leaves that were affected. The newest growth seems to have a little of this, but I think it's remnants from before.

What type of algea is this?  The other plants didn't get it, just the Sword?

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »

I googled and googled Shari, I not know ! Sounds like it would be a lovely carpet on the substrate though !

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »

Aw, Thanks, Tom  KISS001

It probably WOULD make a great ground cover....but it didn't grow there Smiley

It was actually quite pretty and unobtrusive as far as Algea goes. If it weren't completely blocking the leaves from getting any light, I would have liked it  11579

Fish Pimp  kewl

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »

I just realized I have a pic of it Smiley

A large plant shot....

and a Closeup of affected leaves

[attachment deleted by admin to increase space]

Fish Pimp  kewl

Corwin

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »

whatever it is it looks rudy sweet shari, if it isnt harmful to the plant i would keep it ^ ^

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 05:11:55 PM »

I don't know how harmful it is, or would be....that's the problem  confused

It completely covered the top of the leaves, so I assume it blocks light. Other then that, it's nice to look at Smiley

Fish Pimp  kewl

Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »

Lonely Bump...... Smiley

No one has ANY idea?????  I'm keeping an eye out and it doesn't appear to be coming back....yet.

Fish Pimp  kewl

Kim
pita sandwhich
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125,75,50,20's (2),10's(4),5's(7)

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 01:15:55 PM »

all I can think of is some variant of cladaphora? You know, the moss ball stuff....it's soft, thick and low growing.
I've had it grow in tufts in the substrate but I don't think I've ever seen it on leaves before.

Markalot

United States United States

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »

all I can think of is some variant of cladaphora? You know, the moss ball stuff....it's soft, thick and low growing.
I've had it grow in tufts in the substrate but I don't think I've ever seen it on leaves before.

I know I have cladophora on the substrate and I have this same stuff growing on my sword leaves (but nowhere else) so I'm thinking that's a pretty good indication.  I've never worried about it and it doesn't seem to do any harm.  Once introduced to a tank it seems that besides mechanical removal it's there for life.  The only tank I don't have it in is my little 5 gallon, but I suspect it's only a matter of time.

M a r k
Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:33 PM »

MARK happy  Where have you been young man???  Sure miss you around here Smiley

Ok, so let's start calling Kim Smartypants  KISS001

Welp, if it hasn't damaged your Swords, I won't worry about it coming back. If it does, I will simply enjoy the pretty color and texture  Smiley

We CAN live in harmony, I just know it  11579   

Fish Pimp  kewl

Markalot

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »

MARK happy  Where have you been young man???  Sure miss you around here

Young, she said young.   nerd

I'm not sure I have a good answer other than 2 vacations and just darn busy at work.  Summers are always a downtime for me and this hobby.  I can keep the water changed but other than that and feeding I mostly just leave them alone.   I finally had to trim last week because there was too little open surface area left.  Fred, my betta, loved it, but the plants below it didn't care much for the reduced light.

If I could fuel my cars off plant trimmings I'd be set!

M a r k
Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 04:17:19 PM »

Now, Now.....don't try to call yourself old, silly Wink

That's the BEAUTY of the internet...no one will ever know  11579  Unless you tell them  proud

Well, it's good to see you back, and I can't wait for some new pics  party

Fish Pimp  kewl

VĭиŏиMăĭ₣

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 02:39:30 AM »

Shari I had this on my established swords leaves too. It disappeared when I cut feeding back to every second day.

Without friends everything is for nought.
livebearerfanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »

I had a teeny-weeny bit on mine, but then I trimmed the affected leaves off and then the carpet got infested by hair algae   Sad
turtletoes

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 02:56:11 PM »

Shari!! I was just mentioning this green "carpet" algae in another post!! Smiley It started up on some plants from someone--some hygro australis. It seems to mostly grow on the older leaves of my vals, swords, and the hygro in that tank........that dwarf sag I got from you, I put in that tank too. The dwarf sag does not have the green carpet growing on it. Its got these weird brown fur-balls of algae growing on it --only on the older leaves. It took a while to show up and I had already sent some of the dwarf sag on to someone else and they also have the brown puff-bals/fur-balls on the sag I sent them......the brown puff stuff doesnt grow uniformly on the leaves. It looks more like it was just floating along in the tank and stuck to the leaves in various places. A lot of it is growing on the edges of the sag leaves--not fully on the leaves, halfway hanging off of them. Its hard to describe.

So far, this green carpet algae is contained to this tank. It does help if I use Excel. But, it never seems to go away.....I dont mind it, makes me want to pet the leaves. lol. But, it can over-come some plants if I let it go and dont remove the most covered leaves. Excel has not seemed to do anything for the brown puff-ball algae on the sag though--which has also not spread to other leaves. Do you have that kind of algae too?? I've got otos, calico bn, and amano shrimp in there and finally 2 nights ago, I saw a couple of the amano going after the brown puff stuff....

don't worry, be happy
Aquatot

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tanks: 2 g shrimp-only, 5 g, 20 g, 55 g, and 150 g

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »

Wow... I was just about to start a post about this kind of algae when I saw this one. It's not just me, then! Wink

I've only just noticed it, this morning, in my 20 gal. I saw a little piece of leaf on the substrate that was covered in bright green fur. When I got up close to examine it, I realised it's on several Java fern leaves as well, and looks like it's starting to appear on the back wall of the tank. I've never seen it before, in any tank. It actually does look really pretty, but, as Shari said, it probably isn't good for the plant. It's certainly not on all the plants, and doesn't seem to be on the substrate or bogwood, but it does look as if it's growing on the rear wall... maybe even growing on top of the ordinary algae that tends to grow there. It's such a pretty colour - almost like really soft, fine Java moss.

Does anyone know if plecos are likely to eat this stuff? I have an albino BN in here, but it does look like the type of algae they don't tend to go for. I may just leave it alone and see what happens, but the Javas are starting to look really nice again at the moment, and I don't want them to start suffering because of this algae, however attractive it may be. I don't overfeed this tank, and I only add an iron supplement for the plants - nothing else at the moment, fertiliser-wise. So where's it suddenly come from? Hmm...  question

A fish is for life; not just for Christmas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan's our man! Always was, always will be.
Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »

Lori, sorry I missed this Smiley  I do have some of that "puff ball" algea in one tank. I tends to only grow on the oldest leaves as they are dying....or so it seems. Basically it shows me which leaves to pull off. Mighty nice if ya ask me Wink  The "velvet" stuff whas never in the tank with the Dwarf Sag I sent, though??? Still isn't.

Tot, I never got it until I placed the Sword in higher light?? I also had BNs in there and they apparently don't eat it. Or at least not enough to make any impact.

It seems there are a number of us that have this.....wonder why no one knows what it is???

Fish Pimp  kewl

Aquatot

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tanks: 2 g shrimp-only, 5 g, 20 g, 55 g, and 150 g

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 03:04:05 PM »

Strange, isn't it?

Actually, the leaf that has the most of this stuff on it is the tallest one in the tank, and therefore closest to the light. So maybe that does have something to do with it? Other leaves have some of this algae on their edges, but not covering them entirely, whereas this one high-up leaf is completely covered. I haven't altered the lighting recently, though, and I've had leaves as tall as this one before without this algae appearing... But I guess it is the leaf getting the most light in the tank right now.

A fish is for life; not just for Christmas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan's our man! Always was, always will be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation