Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 21, 2017, 07:46:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY tank idea,anybody else think of this?  (Read 6178 times)
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« on: August 29, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »

The limiting factor is always the price of the glass.As I was walking in the mall yesterday on my way to the movies I kept wanting to measure some of the storefront windows.A few looked about 10'x 20-30" approximately 3/4" thick.Wow what a great view window for a DIY tank that would make.I thought if I started measuring the windows and asking if they might be going out of business they'd call the cops!  crazylol  Just an Idea kicking around as of now,no immediate plans.
Anybody know anybody that works at a window shop?If they pull down a storefront Id be curious to know if the glass goes back to the shop or into a dumpster.
I used to have a link to a junk recycling service that might help Ill have to see if I can find the site again.

Waiting will fill
superpap56
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:00:19 PM »

I never thought of it ...but if it's still in business and I think it is ,there is new AND used window place about 5 miles from here(on a sideroad I rarely use.)I have no idea about the feasability of useing them though .It's nice to see someone else that sees oddball ideas in tuff they see in their everyday travels. nerd
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 03:57:12 PM »

freecycle.com or is it org?

Work in progress...
turtletoes

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »

Retail remodels are Extremely wasteful!! And, the glass must be tempered/safety glass to satisfy safety codes. So, if the piece of glass is not the size you want it, it'll just break into many small non-cutting pieces if you try to cut it.(that is if it was put up in the last 20 years or so. We actually did a remodel about 10 years ago where the glass shattered despite the fact we were actually trying to remove it in one piece and sent one of the workers to the hospital for stitches.) So, when someone(a contractor hired by the new company that is taking over the spot) comes in to do a remodel(which is even forced on every retailer in malls every 5-10 years even if you are renewing the lease and staying in the same spot. Sometimes you can get out of a full-scale remodel, but you always have to do a "face lift" on the storefront) Anyway, the contractors go in with sledge hammers and swing away!! Smiley (I've had the pleasure of doing this a few times!! Demo work is Fun!! Smiley The destructive/frustrated side of me loves that!! The environmental side of me wants to cry!! Its SUCH a WASTE!! So, with a remodel like that, you've usually gotta take everything down to the metal framing of the mall.....sometimes they will allow you to leave the drywall from the past business. but a lot of times, its faster to just take it all down, get your wiring and plumbing in and then slap some new drywall up. They do not allow you to use wood 2by's in building any walls(incase you're thinkin that would be a good free way to get some fish rack building material. lol......its all that crappy metal 2by material.(better for fire-safety)

Maybe if you go to the manager's office, or the lease person's office for the entire shopping center,(the individual stores have no say as to what happens after they leave and a new business comes in to remodel) you could give them your name and ask if you can take away the building materials that would otherwise to go waste during the next remodel. But, I think if you ask that, you will have to take it all away, otherwise they wont be interested in accomidating your desire for some free glass! Smiley My guess it that they would say no, but if you offer "recycling services" to them(again, I'd imagine you'd have to take everything--and the demo people dont care if you want the glass in one piece or not. too much work) But, that might be a good business to get into! Smiley Go around to all the retailers and offer demolition and recycling services to help them to gain an "earth-friendly" appearance?? Dont you want a new job?? Smiley

Thats just my 2 cents on the deal........good luck on your dream. lol. Smiley

ninja'd by austin gal.......I've gotta go check that site out Smiley

don't worry, be happy
Jinxstir
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »

Thanks to our sue happy society, no one awarded the contract work for removal/construction will let you even sift through the trash. (too bad) If they say yes, take what you want, they can be sued if anyone gets hurt (or if someone makes something up). (different than the old days) Lots and lots of construction materials go into the dumpster..... DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE GOVERNMENT WASTE OH MY.....It is just not cost effective to salvage-ship-store and wait for a use for most materials. I deal with this a lot....

Good thought though.
aussiegardener

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »

What a shame! Here is Aus we're more and more keen on re-cycling at all different levels (maybe it's to do with having a small population - 21 million, and trying to re-use limited materials). Even in the small town I live in (about 5,000) we have a building second hand/recycling depot. In fact I've just picked up 8 double tube 4 foot light fittings for A$25 each. Ideal for the top of 4 foot tanks!!!
AG

680 litre:Pair Red Oscars;382 litre:Malawi tank;255 litre:pair Acaras;255 litre:pair Gold Sevs;198 litre:trio Kribs, pair Rams, numerous BN's;198 litre:Tiger barbs, corydoras;198 litre:pair Convicts;198 litre(divided) Siamese fighters;71 litre:Platies;71 litre 4 small Gold Sevs;57 litre:Sev fry
samericancichlidgirl
Here loachy, loachy.....

Tanks: I never met a fish I didnt like.

Fish are a pet for life. Thrive, not just survive!

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 12:37:55 PM »

Certain places in the states are good about recycling too. Here in Montana, we recycle like crazy.  There are recycling bins all over town, at all the apartment complexes and in the parking lots of grocery stores. Wisconsin too, where my husband is from, requires people to recycle. Freecycle is great, even if there isnt any glass available, there are usually some great finds. I've gotten several tanks from my local freecycle. A huge DIY tank would be cool, gomez. You know you want it....and I know I want to see pictures of one so I can begin obsessing over doing one of my very own!!!  Wink Not that i think hubby would ever let me get away with that......

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.  ~Tommy Smothers

www.noclownsinacube.net
turtletoes

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 03:59:13 PM »

The malls in MT havent caught on about recycling old building materials--at least a few years ago when we were doing commercial construction projects there.....and when I say "old" the retail space that is being renovated could only be a couple years old.......or could be up to 10 years old....everything is already written off in the books (fully depreciated). Its Extremely wasteful and expensive!! I've only got experience in MT, CO, OR, WA, and LA.......they all seem to have the same mentality....NO you may not have anything you are tearing out of these old retail spots. NO you may not do anything with what you remove from the premises to be remodeled because it is OUR property(the mall's property) and you would be STEALING!! So, if you tear it out and throw it away, thats ok....if you tear it out and take it home, or give or sell it to someone to reuse--you may be sued, or at least billed for whatever they think is the going rate for say, used glass.......doesnt make sense to sensible people, but thats their own twisted world and they are the kings!! grr. ok, off the soap box and into the fish room!! Smiley

don't worry, be happy
samericancichlidgirl
Here loachy, loachy.....

Tanks: I never met a fish I didnt like.

Fish are a pet for life. Thrive, not just survive!

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 07:12:30 PM »

We've lived here two years, and it seems like things may have changed. Though malls are malls, and as corporate as can be, so who knows what they do. But when they tore down the old bowling alley, they gave away lumber, interior stuff, and I dont know what else. But it looked like a ton of stuff. It may just depend on the business? Dont know. But I think everyone everywhere should have to recycle.

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.  ~Tommy Smothers

www.noclownsinacube.net
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 10:57:47 PM »

Thats exactly what I thought Lori!
smashed to bits!
So the trick is to find a fellow fishkeeper that does the demolition.And interest him in the project!
Like I said this is a back burner idea,but Im going to start figuring out ways to work an angle.

Waiting will fill
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 12:05:37 PM »

On a related note I was mentally calculating the volume of the jewlery display case at sears yesterday.Looked like thick glass,if I flipped it upside down and siliconed......

Waiting will fill
turtletoes

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 02:56:42 PM »

I've done some similar scheeming myself.  fish16 Just about anything could be modified to be waterproof with some work. Smiley

Check this out!! Smiley

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/938944/car_aquarium/

don't worry, be happy
Clint
loachaholic

Tanks: 20G planted, 90g planted up and running 4/09

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 04:55:02 PM »

On a related note I was mentally calculating the volume of the jewlery display case at sears yesterday.Looked like thick glass,if I flipped it upside down and siliconed......

Doable for sure and as far as remodeling goes. Its always good to check on the dumpsters periodically, known around here as dumpster diving. most of the time this glass is just thrown away as it is tempered and not worth holding it in a warehouse till the right size comes up again. Making friends with the glass contractor who is on site at such projects helps alot too. If you go up introduce yourself,many of these guys are helpful in getting you the materials you wish to recycle. They know it just goes in the dumpster anyways.

20g 3 praecox rainbows, 1 Skunk botias,

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
helgajones

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 03:03:41 AM »

There are a lot of DIY sites that can help you on how you can decorate your aquarium. You can design your aquarium the way you like it. You just have to be extra creative in order for your tank to look different from others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation