Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2019, 02:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: red eared slider  (Read 4965 times)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« on: August 14, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »

My sister in law has had one now for about 3 years.  I have no trouble saying that my respect for my sister in law ends at the fact that she is biologically related to my husband.  Don't get me started.....

Any how, she had decided that her turtle has grown to be too big to care for and that she needs to give it to me.  Why me?  I suggested she give it to a local pet store... but I have this feeling its headed my way soon.

IF and that is a HUGE IF I took this foolish thing in (I need a turtle like I need another broken foot!) my thought would be to put it in the 70 gallon tank that is on my sun porch.  Its currently empty while I get the time and urge to repair the leak in it.  But was a gold fish tank and is supposed to go back to the gold fish which are currently in a 55 waiting for me to fix their 70.

Their natural habitat is down South and when the water goes below 50 they go into a hibernation type state.....If I put this thing into that 70 on the porch... I am not heating it year round.  Does anyone know of anyone that has put turtles into hibernation in captivity?

The porch gets a lot of natural sun light and I have reptile lights....

Mostly I don't want the turtle, but I have this feeling if I don't take it she will release it into a pond.  She has done it before.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:48:39 PM »

Ugh, what a predicament, you could send it to use here in Texas, I know a pond place.  Smiley

My friend has red earred sliders and they are about to out grow the hundred gal. tank she got for christmas this year!

I had a toad, and he hibernated in his tank, during winter he would dig a hole in his dirt and not come out for days, it doesn't really get very cold here, though,so he would come out about once a week to eat a cricket. In the summer he didn't do that, he lived in his water bowl. I imagine if you provided a beach area, I don't know, I thought you were the expert. LOL.

Work in progress...
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »

The turtle is her problem not yours. I wouldn't take it.

Find a zoo to give it to. Or better yet tell her to find a zoo to give it to. After looking at so many large turtles at the Tenn Aquarium it just made me more utterly disgusted with the thought of "pet" turtles.

A zoo can  properly care for it. I highly doubt that it can properly hibernate in an aquarium on your porch.

Good Luck

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:21:54 PM »

I suspect it will be another month before any decisions are made...

If I am smart I will get the gold fish back into that tank quick.

The whole idea of her setting it free just makes my skin crawl.  And she would do it.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
plecoperson
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:50:28 PM »

After many years of doing dog rescue, cat rescue, any-living-thing rescue, I have just started basically explaining to people what they can do with themselves when they try to dump animals.  Telling me a sad tale of a critter they/their sister/their college roommate "has to get rid of" counts as trying to dump it on me.

I tell them no one held a gun to their head to force them to take the animal, and that they need to grow up and find a solution to whatever the problem is and keep the creature they took on in the first place.

God knows there are a billion RES-es that people get for their kids and discard.  They really are animals suited only to a select few.  They need a lot of resources (space, filtration, lighting, food, vet visits), live a long time and don't give obvious affection back to their keepers.  That said, if I had the resources I'd probably adopt a few.  Smiley

I say go at her full bore, and don't take this turtle on yourself. It took me many years to realize that not every unwanted creature is my cross to bear, and that it is rewarding to try to give these irresponsible, very truly bad, people a piece of my mind.

Bitterly and cynically,
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 09:13:51 PM »

Whew!

Karen, I know for a fact (because I researched them for my idiot sister and idiot nephew) that there are two reptile rescues in your area that will take red eared sliders; my nephew's turtles are on their adoption list now.

Do some Googling and provide your idiot sister in law with a list of links and resources so she can deal with her problem herself; rather than off-loading it on you.

PS -- what plecoperson said, squared, maybe quadrupled. 

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
plecoperson
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:29:44 AM »

Maura, I am now officially "LMAO." 

Seriously-it's almost off.

It was the very consistent use of "idiot" that did me in.... proud
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 08:17:52 AM »

Nothing scientific but I would have to imagine in the aquarium on the porch the turtle would freeze solid in a ct winter.In a burrow in the ground just a few inches is below the frost.

Waiting will fill
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »

pleco, I am glad that I am entertaining.  It's my goal, if nothing else, to be entertaining. ;-}

It was this sentence in your post that resonated with me:

After many years of doing dog rescue, cat rescue, any-living-thing rescue

My position on the turtles and the single clown loach in the 30 gallon community tank has caused some strain in the family -- my nephew, otherwise a lovely person of normal intelligence and good sense, has a strong element of magical thinking, particularly when it's related to anything more long range than the day after tomorrow.  But he's 19, so there's hope he may grow out of it.

My 56 year old sister, also otherwise lovely and of normal intelligence, however, who buys into and enables the "We'll just keep them until they're too big for the tank and then find a good home for them." line of reasoning, is, I'm afraid, hopeless.

The conversations I had with them about why they shouldn't release RES to the wild in Massachuesetts....well, you can imagine.  I barely, *barely* avoided saying it would be more responsible and kinder to the animals to euthanize them then condemn them to slow death by starvation and freezing, but I did hit all the other reasons it was a bad idea.

The one reptile/herp rescue I researched for them asks that you turn over the tank and lights along with the reptiles, more, I imagine, to discourage idiots from turning right around and getting another juvenile herp than from actual need of tanks and lights.

Karen, if you remind me later I'll provide you with the names and contact info of the rescues I found.

PS - Can anybody tell this hit a big 'ol button with me?

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »

Karen,

"If I am smart I will get the gold fish back into that tank quick."

We all know you are smart. Wink

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 10:01:40 AM »

Nothing scientific but I would have to imagine in the aquarium on the porch the turtle would freeze solid in a ct winter.In a burrow in the ground just a few inches is below the frost.

Nope it doesn't freeze.  Its fully enclosed and insulated, just not heated... the gold fish live out there and love it.  I didn't see there water get below 45 last winter.  Cleaning the tank hurt my hand though, I ended up using a neoprene scuba diving glove to do it. 

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »

She gave it to Pet Co who sent it on to some turtle rescue group thing.  Yeah.... She did the right thing!  And I don't have to deal with it at all.

plecoperson
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2008, 07:24:24 AM »

YAY!  And it appears PetCo did a right thing too, so good for them.  Phew.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2008, 02:06:15 PM »

flower That is wonderful news!

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 06:14:17 PM »

Ya know, I'm like Stella, I actually was thinking of this turtle the other day. Just, hmmm I wonder what ever happened with that, and how my friend has to buy new heat lamps all the time, because they hate to be cold. LOL.

That's great news. Make them promise to ask you next time they get their next pet. Like for instance a bunny. LOL. Then you can zerox some handy info for them, LOL.

Work in progress...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's