Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 04:51:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? about Acorus AKA Sweet flag, Japanese rush  (Read 3395 times)
Clint
loachaholic

Tanks: 20G planted, 90g planted up and running 4/09

« on: September 12, 2008, 09:22:17 AM »

New to the whole aquarium seen, love a planted tank. I'm certainly not ready for a all out set up yet. Will work on that after i have my 75 up and running then do my current 20gal.

This is for a 20 gallon, i'm running 2) 18" 15watt 6700k bulbs in there as of now, is this enough lumens or would something like a 65 watt be better?
As of now i have some floating, i believe hornwart in there as of now, took from local pond. I got a 1gallon pot of Acorus gramineushttp://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=768+795&pcatid=795
 and seperated it yesterday. Got some nice rhizomes, kept a single mother with lots of little shoots, just starting to come in. Ready to fill in some bare spots, hopefully. I put these in peat pots and the peat pots into plastic pots which i drilled for aeration, water flow. I did this as my substrate is round aquarium gravel 1" deep or so. The peat pots contain the soil substrate the plastic pot provides support. Can i place this directly in the tank now? Right now they are in a tupperware container filled with water to the pots rim. Any input from the plant gurus would be nice.

20g 3 praecox rainbows, 1 Skunk botias,

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 10:23:48 AM »

Acorus is not a submerse plant, and is not tropical.  Two strikes against.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorus

Note:  "garden plant" and "emersed"

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Clint
loachaholic

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorus_gramineus

says it can grow fully or partially submerged in freshwater aquariums. Did the link to DRs fosters smith not route properly?

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

It will grow submerse, but seasonally (as do most swords and most crypts in the wild).  Unlike those other plants, it will not adapt to year-round submerse growth under tropical temps. without the seasonal temperature profile common to its temperate/subtropical native sites.   I know many, many folks who have tried, none who have succeeded. 

Clint
loachaholic

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:14:48 PM »

I needed good news Grumpster. I pondered that last thought. All right, i'm soon to be going to Menards for a look at lighting. How many watts do i want to be running in a 20. I have a good sized piece of drift wood in there which casts a shadow. This is also going to fit into a canopy type lid DIY soon. Just need to see if its cheaper to get a lighting setup at menards vs DRs foster smith. Any advice on this would be helpful. I know depends on the plants, lets say a few foreground, 2 mid level and then some which will grow on the drift wood its self, Ricca or something similar.Wood runs from bottom rear to near top rear of tank, nice piece for a tank. Maybe a bit to big for some, i like it.

Also saw the thin T-5 bulbs do they put out more lumens per watt or is it just a space saving thing? I'm burnt out on looking through the lighting section at Drs F/S. Regular fluorescent, Compact fluorescent, VHO fluorescent, LEDs. I figure running 6500K, with a grolight bulb just need to decide on what lamp is right for me and will fit in the canopy.

As for the Acorus they will fit in with the landscaping just as well. One will go into the tank, just for some  plant like effect. We'll see how long it lasts, certainly can't hurt.

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »

All straight and folded T-5s (straight are just listed as T-5, folded are listed as PC, power compact) are roughly comparable in total output, and are significantly more efficient than than T-8 and T-12, meaning more output per energy unit input - say >25 to almost 60% more, depending on the reflector, but spectrum does vary between tubes.  That means operating costs and heat to the tank can be lower while lighting is better.  T-5 at the moment is the tube of choice.

VHO is dying technology IMHO and has short tube life and much heat/power wasted.

LEDs are for the future for tank lighting beyond "moonlights" - they are not there yet.

For how much you want, that is personal.  At 2 each 18W T-8/12 now, you have 36W total, so 1.8WPG.  Two 20W T-5s would be 2WPG, but T-5 versus the less efficient tubes, so more like 2.5 - >3 effective WPG compared to your existing light.  That increase will be a striking intensity difference, and the plants will react accordingly - you will need supplements and CO2, but will be able to have dense lush growth and can do foreground carpet plants if desired.  The cost to you is not just the initial capital outlay, but the upkeep, which is more.  A kelvin of 6500-6700 or something close to that is my personal choice for "look" and is great for the plants.

Higher light is possible, but I would not suggest it for a first planted tank. The higher the light, the narrower are you margins.  Things can go bad fast.

My personal fave wood-attached plants are Anubis b. nana and mosses.  Anubias is very slow-growing and dwarfs on wood, so holds much of the original look, but a bit smaller and more leaves.  there will be visible roots dangling (which I like) but some don't.  Mosses grow, and do require frequent haircuts, and the trimming can be messy.  i would not do moss in high light - algae is an issue.  Riccia is an even bigger PITA.  It can look cool on flatish rock, held down with hairnets, but is high upkeep.  You might consider getting Marimo balls and opening them and tying them down to the wood.  If you keep Amano shrimp they will keep it groomed.  For some reason I have seen my Amanos on the spheres more than anywhere else in the tanks.

HTH

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation