Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 22, 2019, 05:47:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Gal hex- okay for a betta and 2 panda corys?  (Read 2998 times)
aer1976
« on: September 17, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »

I have a 5 gal hex with a male betta.  I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 panda corys in there and was wondering if that would be too crowded?

Thank you for any help
superpap56
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »

i wouldn't do it personally.Others may disagree
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 01:45:12 PM »

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Betta in the 5g hex but all species of cories are a schooling bunch and 5 to 7 should be kept as a group to have them feel secure, therein lies the problem. That many in a 5g hex just won't provide them with sufficiency to thrive properly. 1 will feel insecure and most likely hide away most times which is not conducive for a fish to thrive.

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
superpap56
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 01:47:11 PM »

exactly.especially in a hex
Radagast

Tanks: 20g - 8 neons, 6 white clouds, 5 pandas, 2 trilineatus

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:01:51 AM »

I may as well toss in my tuppence 'orth, beginner that I am - I've got an 8g, and I've got 4 cories in there, which is supposedly less than I should have (the reading I've done suggests 6+ conspecifics for cories), but with my neons, I've no more room.  Pandas aren't the biggest, at 2" - the same size, potentially, as my juliis and bronzes, but I wouldn't put mine in anything smaller than where they are.

There are several pygmy cories (1"), but given the number you'd need to put in there for them to feel safe, I still don't think you should.

Matt

Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
Radagast

Tanks: 20g - 8 neons, 6 white clouds, 5 pandas, 2 trilineatus

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 07:09:59 AM »

There are several pygmy cories (1"), but given the number you'd need to put in there for them to feel safe, I still don't think you should.

Incidentally, unlike the bigger cories, the pygmies are not bottom dwellers, and will be nothing like as sedentary in their habits as their bigger relations (or so I've read).  In other words, they'll spend their time swimming around, not resting on the bottom.  What this additional activity means in real terms (ie, whether they're too active for a 5g), I've no idea - I've never really observed them.

Matt

Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation