Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 28, 2014, 12:55:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Diatom filter  (Read 6006 times)
Blue-ram

« on: September 18, 2008, 02:01:06 AM »

I read some where that I could use my magnum hot shot as a diatom filter.  I am not sure how to fill it with DE.  Would it work the same way as a swimming pool filter?  By pouring some power in the inlet that will coat the micro filter.  Not sure how much DE to use. Just want to run it for short periods when needed.  Any Idea's

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
Clint
loachaholic

Tanks: 20G planted, 90g planted up and running 4/09

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »

Here you go straight from my replacement, secondary micron cartridge box (marineland) As is, it filters down to 8 microns or that is what i've read.

The magnum filter w/ micron cartridge operates efficiently without diatomite powder. If you use powder, please follow directions below.

FAST METHOD.
Temporarily clouds tank.
1.remove canister top,place micron cartridge in. Fill with water to just above line on canister BEFORE adding powder. Water must be in canistr before powder.
2. Pour 1 portion (1/2 cup) of powder into canister around cartridge. Avoid getting powder down center.
3. replace top and start filter per operating instructions. A cloud of powder will flow into aquarium. Filter will remove in approx. 10 mins.

BETTER METHOD.
To minimize diatomite powder in the aquarium we recommend the following method of charging the filter.
1. Mix one portion (1/2 cup) of powder with water in a large clean juice container or small bucket. The container should be tall enough to allow submersion of the intake tube. Make certain the container is 3/4's full.
2. Remove the canister top and with the micron cartridge in position, fill canister to within one inch of top. Replace top and secure with clips.
3. Place intake and outlet tubes inmixing container. make sure end intake tube is below water level. Make sure hoses are not kinked.
4.Turn on filter and allow the water to recirculate inside the mixing container until all the powder is inside the filter.
5. Turn off filter and place tubes in their proper places in the tube stabilizer bracket.
6. Start filter per operating instructions.

BEST METHOD.
1. Do not use diatomite powder at all. The micron cartridge works virtually as well without it.

SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.

20g 3 praecox rainbows, 1 Skunk botias,

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:40:46 AM »

The "Better" is comparable to charging a Vortex  Diatom filter.  Initially the HOt Magnum listed diatom powder as a standard technique, but dropped it for some reason. 

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Clint
loachaholic

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »

From what i've read prior to purchase, is the HOT went through some design changes? I've seen two package variations of the same 250, i suspect one is of the older design. I can find no info @ marinelands site. Thats the complete instructions/info from the replacement micron cartridge box. The other side is instructions for change out of carbon to the micron.

I also read somewhere its best to have 2 microns in case of clogging during a water polishing that way you have a back up cartridge and don't have to postpone the process.

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »

For those who use the HOTs routinely on their show tanks, it is three microm cartridges for operational stock.  One in the unit, a back-up ready to go at all times, and one in processing.

Those tanks are impressive - heavy mechanical filtration (weekly to twice-weekly rinses) with conventional media plus the HOT for weekly change - to have very, very near to post-diatom polishing 24/7.  Too much work for me.

Blue-ram

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »

Thanks Clint for all the great info.  I will think about it.
Ok I have been using the same micron filter to vac for almost a year.  When do I know that the material is clogged and not doing its Job?
It still produces clear water.  It is now gray instead of white even after bleaching it.  I am having a diatom problem and thought adding DE to the filter might help this out.  I have pool DE laying around here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 02:36:06 PM by Blue-ram » Logged

2prs GBR, pair P. taeniatus 'Moliwe in holding tank adding soon, 6 sids, oto, 12 ADF 95w 6700k 2.13wpg 8hrs, planted 65g, No C02, Excel, EI for Micro and Macro fertz, 18w UV, Eheim 2126
Clint
loachaholic

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »

Its states when water flow is noticeably reduced its time to get a new cartridge.

Wash with 1:5 ratio water to bleach, soak 2-3 hours, rinse thoroughly under pressure till no bleach smell remains. Let dry before replacing.

Also states to use the blue sponge pre-filter, over the micron to trap the larger particles and extend the micron cartridges life.

I vacuumed via the pre filter sleeve and carbon. I'm not exactly sure but thought the micron was just for water clarity and trapping the smallest particles that run through the system. Put the micron in, let it run a couple hours and you've got crystal clear water?? I'm new to all this so what do i know?

Blue-ram

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »

Clint what link are you using for this info?

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:18:31 AM »

HOT Magnums are used both periodically for extra clarity (as before a photo session), and chronically for improved clarity at all times. 

The chronic use is not for tank with filter-feeders or infusorai-hunters or fry - starvation time for such critters with HOT Mags going all the time.

Clogging is always the enemy.  If you capture the mid-sized particle before the micron sleeve, the micron filter will not clog as quickly and will hold more fine stuff.

Blue-ram

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:30:14 AM »

I was using a prefilter sponge but I don't think I have any filter feeders, See Sig.  When I rinsed it out each week there was always a lot of brown junk I would get out is this mulm?
I will go find the pre filter for the magnum and see what that does.  Bet it help me when I rinse the micro filter.

Clint
loachaholic

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 07:26:04 AM »

Clint what link are you using for this info?

All the info is coming from my secondary (replacement) micron cartridge. Small piece of paper from inside the box the cartridge came in. I gotta believe the pre filter would help alot as well. Its going to trap the bigger particles making cleaning of the micron much easier.

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »

Blue-ram: Yes, the brown fines from the sponge are exactly mulm, partly mileralized organics broken down by bacteria and infusoria.  It does help fine-pore filtration to block this material from ending up on the fine-pored filter media. You preserve the function of the fine filter by pre-capturing in an easily removed and rinsed filter sponge.

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »

"From what i've read prior to purchase, is the HOT went through some design changes?"

Only one that I know of. They added a power switch. But that was about 10 years ago. I still use a older model without a power switch. happy

[attachment deleted by admin to increase space]

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's