Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 25, 2014, 12:52:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you mix different varieties of cory's in the same tank?  (Read 5714 times)
aer1976
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:12:27 PM »

Right now in my fairly new 55 gal tank I have 6 black skirt tetras and 3 bronze corys.  I'm planning on getting more corys soon (I didn't want to get too many fish all at once before my biological filter had a chance to catch up) and I was just wondering whether different varieties of corys will school together or whether when I buy more corys I should stick with only the bronze ones since that is what I already have.  I'm planning on having 6-10 corys when all is said and done, I just wondered if they all had to be bronze ones.   As a side note, my ph is around 6.6-6.8, is that fine for them?  The CO2 I'm adding for my plants is bringing the ph down.  Also, I'm planning on adding a small school of zebra danios as well. 

This is the plan for the tank:
6 black skirt tetras
6-10 corys of some type (2-3" varieties)
10-15 zebra danios

Thank you for any advice
Radagast

Tanks: 20g - 8 neons, 6 white clouds, 5 pandas, 2 trilineatus

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

Right now in my fairly new 55 gal tank I have 6 black skirt tetras and 3 bronze corys.  I'm planning on getting more corys soon...

...Thank you for any advice

I've done quite a bit of reading on these little guys.  The guidance is that you should keep 6+.  They're not shoaling fish, in the strict sense, but they definitely benefit from being in a "shoal-sized" group.  There are no issues with mixing, either.  I think the term is "conspecificity" (ie, as long as they look more or less the same, they'll be happy with one another).  I've got two bronzes and two juliis, and sadly don't have room for more, and the four of them get on famously - they're spectacularly peaceful fish.

Matt

Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 04:10:36 PM »

Yes what Rad stated above. I've 3 different types in my 90 and they play together and hang in groups within hollowed out caves and driftwood. They seem genuine buds

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
SummerPerk
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »

I had a different experience.  I had 2 bronze cories and hoped to add a more of another type to make a school.  I purchased 4 schultz cories and added them to the tank, but after two weeks they still remained on opposite sides of the tank and never intermingled.  I ended up separating them into two different tanks and increasing their numbers by adding more of the same type.  I don't know if it was just the particular types of cories that I had, but it seems like after the fact when I found this board I read that they don't necessarily intermingle.  I will be interested in reading other responses to your question!
samericancichlidgirl
Here loachy, loachy.....

Tanks: I never met a fish I didnt like.

Fish are a pet for life. Thrive, not just survive!

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »

It's always a tossup with cories. They either will or they wont.
Not very definitive or scientific, but I've seen it go both ways, as have a lot of others I know.
Try to stick with the same ones if you can. HTH.

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.  ~Tommy Smothers

www.noclownsinacube.net
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »

While not an absolute, color and color patterns also plays a important part in terms of conspecificity. Julies have a definate pattern that does not resemble the Bronze for instance.  happy

[attachment deleted by admin to increase space]

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 12:47:38 PM »

IME it is always better to have mre of one specific type of cory. I've kept the mixed groups before. When I seperated them and expanded the schooling group I got more playful behavior. It was at the point that I had at least eight of one group that I got mating behavior. IMO fish like cories will only mate when they are comfortable this includes with the number in the group. So I would keep it with species only.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
jeaninel

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 01:32:08 PM »

You probably have room for 2 shoals of 6 each if you wanted to get more than one variety.

I have False Julii (Trilineatus) and Schwartzii in my 55 and they get along great and hang out together.  But I agree it's best to get at least 6 of one type and lot's of fun to watch them interact.

55 Gallon: 1 Ctenopoma Acutirostre, 7 Congo Tetras, 2 Pearl Gourami, 1 Chocolate Pleco
37 Gallon: 1 Angelfish, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 Rummynose Tetra, 1 ABN Pleco, 3 female Bettas, 3 cories
2.5 Gallon: Male Crowntail Betta
3 Gallon: Male Delta Tail Betta
10 Gallon: Guppies & Ghost Shrimp
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »

Intermingling; shoaling; and schooling all have different definitions, who can tell me that any 2 or more species of cories don't get along ? That being said if tank size permits, have a go at it. IMHO, I'm not worried that my panda's; paleatu's and Julies don't school together, but they definitely intermingle and happily co-exist, If that's your goal, ensure you have proper numbers of each and as you asked, YES, you can have mixed varieities.

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 01:04:09 AM »

Redfish I think there is some hairsplitting going on here but I also think there is an important difference. Yes a mix of cories will swim around together. They have similar body types and if their coloring is similar and their sizes similar they will be fine. However, the differences I see when I look at my cory schools past and present I see a huge difference in behaviors between the mixed groups and the species only large group. They are more playful and adventorous and one can observe more naural behaviors including mating. My first group of cories was a mixture of albinos and peppered cories. It wasn't until I split the two groups up and increased their numbers that i got to see consistently playing and exploring cories. Not to mention the fact that I had no mating behaviors, not to mention successful mating, until I split and expanded the groups. In my opinion if you have only a mixture of cory types it is impossible to distinguish the behavior differences between a mixed species group and a single species group of decent size, IMO at least 7 though 11 or more is better. Having done it both ways I much prefer the single cory species to a tank method.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 03:52:17 AM »

My emerald green cory cats and bronze cory cats school together. BUT they look alike other than the size difference. They have been happily schooling for many years now.

The only problem I have at the moment is that I don't know if my cory cat babies are bronze or emerald greens. :S

I feel sure the group would not accept an albino or any cory cat that looked different.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
CoryOto
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »

Question:  Why do you want the Zebra Danios?  Have you considered getting other Tetras (e.g., Diamonds or Lemons) instead?

Yes, Cories can all get along with each other.  They may not "school" together, but they will "chill out" compatibly all in the same area of the tank.
squirrel_guy

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »

I had a bunch of different kinds together before.  They didn't really school together, but were find hanging out in the same cave or area.  I've had better luck going monospecific with activity levels.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 09:02:29 PM »

I really hope that aer1976 has solved this problem by now. Smiley

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation