Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 03:41:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Watching out for snail babies  (Read 2018 times)
John the Fisherman
Harvester of the Sea

Tanks: 55g Community; 29g Green Spotted Puffer

« on: October 10, 2008, 10:07:37 AM »

The pond snails in my one-gallon tank are laying eggs like crazy.  They appeared like gelatinous blobs, and now they're gelatinous blobs with little specs in them.  How long does it take them to hatch?

I change the water in the tank several times per week.  I would like to clean the substrate somehow, as water changes do not eliminate the snail waste and other gunk.  I am afraid by doing so I will damage any newly hatched babies.  Is this possible, or can I go ahead and use a small airline tube to vaccum the substrate?

One more:  The original snails I put in the tank and getting HUGE.  I am surprised by how fast they are growing.  Is there any benefit or danger to having these monster snails in the tank?  Will they eat the babies?  Will they reproduce faster than small snails?
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:48:20 AM »

I'm assuming you WANT the snails in the tank--right? If so, then just sit back and watch them grow! They are virtually indestructable and the adults will not eat the babies.

Vacuum away--you may suck out a few babies inadvertantly, but they will reproduce quickly enough that you won't see much of a difference.

Are you using these snails for feeders or do you plan to leave them in the tank?

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
John the Fisherman
Harvester of the Sea

Tanks: 55g Community; 29g Green Spotted Puffer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »

Are you using these snails for feeders or do you plan to leave them in the tank?

They're feeders, for a Green Spotted Puffer.
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »

Here's a great snail article by RTR. There is a section in there specifically about pond snails:

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article76.html

And another article about breeding snails for food (RTR is the puffer king, and very experienced in this Smiley ):

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article82.html

These will provide you with some fantastic information.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 04:20:52 PM »

Actually, kcgirl81 covered it - go on and vacuum.  even the babies hold on pretty well, and if they don't, consider it Darwinian selection, leaving you with better stock for the future. I've never heard of anyone controlling a snail population by vacuuming.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's