Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 18, 2018, 02:01:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help!! Fish are dying  (Read 3155 times)
AgentG
« on: October 18, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »

I have a 50 gallon African cichlid tank. I have had it up for a while however, unfortunatly I lost some of my fish due to Hurricane Ike since I had no electricity for a while.  I was able to save 5 fish.  Well I recently set up the tank again.  I removed all the standing water, washed the gravel, tested the water before putting any fish and ph evrything was good. 

Since the readings were good, I put my 5 fish that survived and got excited and bought a few more fish to join the family.  Well, since yesterday, my fish started dying.  THe water was starting to get cloudy so I cleaned my Eheim filter and added carbon.  The water is still clody and I have lost a total of 5 fish!  What can I do?  The ph and all other readings are good when I test it with the ph stick.

Any suggestions?
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

Tanks: Dream big, celebrate life, and never stop learning.

Find that quiet place in your heart, and listen.

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 04:26:47 PM »

How many more did you add?

What are the current reading for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

I think your re-cycling...

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article34.html

You\'re never to old for a happy childhood\"
AgentG
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »

I had added 7 more fish.  I am loosing my blood parrot..its just sitting on the bottom of the tank and lost color.
The nitrate reading is now at "caution".  I added salt last night because I have read it helps with fish disease.  Last night I bought a bottle fo good bacteria..(cant remember the brand) and I was recommended to buy some ick medicine.  I added per the instructions both of these items.  This morning I freaked out because none of that had helped and I had lost 2 more fish, so I did a 20% water change. 

What else should I do?  Isnt the salt suppose to reduce the nitrate level?
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »

Change more water. Lots more. think in the 75% range.

remove the salt.

What are the current reading for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

did you read the link? I wrote it in hopes that I wouldn't have to type everything out to every new person that comes along, it says everything I would say. Smiley I am just to lazy to write that much all the time :P

We need to know your tank chemistry to be able to help you fully... Sad

what kind of fish did you add?

Corwin

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 05:59:58 PM »

oh my. . . we have a lot fo gorund to cover

bottle of cycling bacteria- unless it is bio-spira (or maybe Dr.Tims One and Only, i think this is the new name for Bio Spira) toss it out now, it is basically snake oil

test kit- as it says "caution" i assume this is a Strip style kit, not a liquid regeant, if so toss it out and get a liquid regeant test kit and provide us with hard numbers from that. give us readings for Amonia, NitrAte, and NitrIte for starters.

salt- useful only in very specific cases, mostly when nitrItes (not nitrAtes) are high. salt will not reduce the level  of anything, salt makes it so the fish breathe less often (impairs breathing) and therefore absorb less NitrIte (i could be wrong on the process but i am 100% sure on the end result, salt is used mostly only for nitrIte poisoning). salt can also be used to treat certain specific diseases in certain cases, usually in combination with other things.

Ich medicine- do your fish even have Ich? if not dont add this to the tank, itll be one more polutan you dont need. if your fish appear to be covered in little specs of white then they have ich.

since you do not know what your fish are dying from it is unwise to pour random meds in the tank only Dr. House from TV is allowed to do that and get away with it.

from what i understand you did not QT your new fish arivals (quarantine) they could have brought a disease with them. most people here quarantine new fish separately for 4-6 weeks before adding them to our actual tanks.

in addition when you added 7 fish to a tank with only 5 fish will cause at the very least a mini-cycle, which means ammonia and nitrite spikes, not only that but your tank was apparently still in the basic cycle (re-cycling as April said) so when you added all those fish, it probably skyrocketed the amonia levels where the bacteria could not keep up with it, and therefore left you with plenty of amonia for the fish to breathe.

what is your cleaning schedule like. most people here change 50% of the tank water each Week with new water (make sure you use a dechlorinator) in addition we *rinse* the filter media in old tank water (if you rinse in tap water you kill all your bacteria). there is no need for activated carbon in most cases.

as for the white cloudiness you were seeing, it is likely a bacteriological bloom, seeing as your are cycling and added that much new amonia sources i am willing to be it was the beneficial bacteria having a population surge. not sure on this one though.

as for what you should be doing to help your fish. . . it is hard to say without the numbers Apryl requested we cant know what is affecting your fish, if you have high Ammonia/Nitrite we would suggest Large and daily water changes. if you have very high nitrate we would suggest gradually bigger daily water changes (5% day 1, 10% day 2, 15% day 3 etc etc). if all your numbers are all right then we could start narrowing it down to certain diseases and tell you which meds you should start treating. we also need to know your stocking (which fish and how many), what kind of filtration you use, tank temperature and PH. oh and tank size would be nice too Smiley as that can make huge difference

in a nutshell we need more information

ninjaed by april :P

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
AgentG
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »

Thanks so much for the info...I only have the strip tester.  I am going to buy the liquid type.  I will give you acturate number in a little bit...I usually do 20% water changes per week using the gravel syphon.  I have done a few by now.  Should I do another water change tonight if the amonia levels are high?

I will provide you with acurate numbers.

Thanks!
April ♥ Lynn
Absolutely Flabergasted
Senior Staff

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:08:29 PM »

we'll let you know Wink

Corwin

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 06:11:27 PM »

Thanks so much for the info...I only have the strip tester.  I am going to buy the liquid type.  I will give you acturate number in a little bit...I usually do 20% water changes per week using the gravel syphon.  I have done a few by now.  Should I do another water change tonight if the amonia levels are high?

I will provide you with acurate numbers.

Thanks!

good to hear you will buy it. . .peice of advice:

you can get it for half the price if you print out the online price from the petsmart website then bring it into the store, they will price-match it, so it will be 15$ for the master test kit versus the 30$ in store price (guesses on the prices i havent bought one recently as they last a while)

once we have the accurate numbers we can better judge what advice to give you Smiley

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman