Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2018, 06:52:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Okay, I'm taking my betta to the vet  (Read 2423 times)
Stampingchick
« on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »

After literally MONTHS of trying to heal Wolverine, I have decided it's been unsuccessful and am taking him to the vet.  I am truly surprised he is still alive.  I think most other fish would have been so weakened by this point they would be dead.  He is showing no behavioral symptoms.  Just the white patch on his face.  It comes and goes.  Sometimes it seems fuzzy like columnaris, sometimes it's more spotty like ich.  *sigh*  I have done multiple rounds of Maracyn I and II together (at least 4 rounds).  I have added salt and raised the temp.  He is loving the salt and higher temps and has worked industriously on two bubble nests since I began the treatment. He seems happy and, other than the white patch, healthy.  Unfortunately, the vet is out of town until the 23rd, so until he gets back, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing~ since it's working so well, lol!!  Wish me luck!

ETA:  This started in early to mid July, and I have also treated him with tetracycline...
MinxMermaid
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 05:31:54 PM »

Have you tried Attisons Betta Spa?  it has almond leaf abstract and many healing aspects.  It has brougt my betta Royal Blue back from the brink of death a couple of times.

here's what the package says:

FRONT:
-Almond leaf extract as safeguard against disease and stress
-Natural Yucca and Almond extracts to help keep water clean
-calcium and sodium for a balanced environment

BACK:
-natural, botanic
-contains anti-bacterial and stress relieving properties
-yucca extract binds amonia
-calcium activates muscles and develops strong bones and scales
-lowers ph and absorbs harmful chemicals and heavy metals
-adds essential trace elements
-ideal for conditioning for spawning, activity and coloration
-will make bubble nests stronger

in essence, MIRACLE JUICE!!! i got it at petco.

also other great things for Betta Health:

-Garlic Guard (or fresh garlic juice)
-Vitachem
-Fish Protector
-Diced thawed frozen peas once a week for good digestive health
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »

If it's been months, and the fish is acting normal and healthy, could you just chalk it up to skin color?  Most fish can lighten and darken their skin.
Stampingchick
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:58:08 PM »

Unfortunately not.  It wasn't there when I bought him and it is obviously something on top of the skin, not the skin itself.  That's why I so confused.  I will definately try the betta spa stuff if I can find it.  We just got a petco so I'll make a trip over there when I get a chance.  Thanks for the ideas!!!
MinxMermaid
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 01:11:24 AM »

if you could post a picture,  maybe we could help you with the right meds. 

sounds like a FUNGUS to  me.  i would try like jungle labs rid fungus.

clean water is a MUST!

have you ever used garlic?  this really boosts their immune system especially a betta prone to illness.

Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »

Are you taking it to a vet or somebody who specializes in fish? Honestly, most fish tanks I have seen in veterinarian offices have been horror shows......

Stampingchick
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:15:57 PM »

I don't have a digital camera, but I'll see if I can borrow one.  I have never used garlic for fish.   I know it's good for stimulating appetites, but nothing else.  This vet seems really good.  I've taken one other fish there when I couldn't bear to euthanize her myself.  He seems quite knowledgeable and he's the only vet in the area I know of who treats fish. 

I'll work on the picture.  Although I have to give my fiance' some bad news tonight so it probably will not be tonight, but hopefully tomorrow night.

Thanks!!

Amber
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation