Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 06:26:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple Snails? African Dwarf Frogs? And Bettas?  (Read 7540 times)
ReptileLuver729
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:56:39 PM »

I was wondering if it would be ok in my 10 gallon tank if i had one female betta, one apple snail, and two african dwarf frogs?
Stampingchick
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 11:10:06 PM »

What kind of apple snail?  Are we talking brigs or canas?  Brigs might be okay, but a cana (which i think may now be illegal in the states) would get WAAAAY too big.  Some might feel that the tank would be overstocked, since the snail will produce a lot of waste, but if you use a bigger filter, I think you should be okay.  But wait and see what others say.  Smiley
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:20:04 PM »

Do apple snails need an air pump?
Stampingchick
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:48 PM »

No.  They breathe from the surface, like bettas and ADFs.  You will need a heater and like I said, a strong filter.  You may want to take a knee high panty hose and cut it in half, then secure it around the output of the filter to keep the current from being too strong for the frogs and the betta.
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 08:04:27 AM »

Do snails need to have a cycled tank?
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »

Everything needs to be in a cycled (established) tank.  I think you need to do more reading on what exactly cycling is.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:55:55 AM »

Brigs will live a shorter life if they are forced to live in an aquarium that is not fully cycled.

Pomacea Bridgessi Profile

aka - Brig./Apple Snail

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile92.html

ADFs will simply die if they are put in an aquarium that is not fully cycled.

African Dwarf Frog profile - ADF

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile99.html 

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 11:13:14 AM »

If you had a betta in a tank for a couple of months would it be safe to put a snail in like you wouldnt have to do anything to the water you just plop it in?
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 11:25:51 AM »

Lol- once the tank is cycled, you can slowly add additonal life forms, a small number at a time. The bacterial colony you are establishing has to grow to accomodate the new ammonia load from the new creature. If you add things one at a time, a few weeks apart, it should be fine. If you added things all at once, you would get an ammonia spike followed by nitrite. Good question. Smiley

(Pictures of "plopping" snails are floating through my head. I'm finding the visual amusing.)

maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »

And to your original stocking question: the betta, brig and two ADFs would be too much for a 10.  A betta and a brig or two would be perfect, OR the betta and 2 ADFs.   I wouldn't try to put all three species in a 10.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »

Would a betta like poop enough to keep the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels good?
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 11:47:01 AM »

A betta will produce enough waste to supply a biofilter sufficient for the betta.

If you add a lot of critters all at once, you will overwhelm the biofilter and have an ammonia spike and mini cycle.

If the tank is cycled already, add the betta, wait 2-3 weeks, then add the snails or frogs.

If the tank is not already cycled, wait until it is completely cycled (4-6 weeks) before adding the snails or frogs.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
Michael B
Of All the Things I've Lost, I Miss My Mind the Most.
Senior Staff

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:31:27 PM »

"Would a betta like poop enough to keep the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate levels good?"

There is no good level for ammonia or nitrite.

Google is your friend......get to know him!!

Mentally confused and prone to wandering......

www.noclownsinacube.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's