Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 06:34:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 gallon  (Read 5284 times)
ReptileLuver729
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »

I got a snail for my turtle tank. I think it was called like a black mystery snail or something. I was wondering if i could put like pond snails in the tank also.
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »

Yes, you can mix the variety of snails in the tank.

However, most of us view pond snails as pest snails and try to avoid introducing them to our tanks.

Your "mystery" snail is most likely a brig -- here's most of what you need to know about keeping one.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php/topic,6317.0.html

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
Gopi
Gone Fishing.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »

Actually...a black mystery snail...I would bet it's a cana (similar to the brig...but gets softball sized rather than golfball sized and eats plants...)

Shari has my fish. I just have dogs. Smiley
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »

What kind of turtle, I had been wondering this same thing. Do red-earred sliders eat snails? I would like to get my friend some snails for her turtle tank.  Smiley And yes the turtles will be moving to a pond in Spring. They are in a huge tank.

Work in progress...
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »

He is a western painted turtle.
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »

I have a 20 gallon long tank. It has one western painted turtle and one black mystery snail. It has a floating dock, a piece of driftwood, some random river rocks, and some larger rocks. The tank is SOOOOO boring looking. It looks really weird since it has ONE turtle and ONE snail. Got any ideas on how to spice it up?
Santafebites

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 06:41:59 PM »

How big do Western painted turtles get? I have seen some really cool turtle tank ideas. Like stack up a bunch of rocks at one end and make a beach. The only thing is one person (at the Herpaton place) said they can get stuck, under big rocks, so you would have to have small rocks. I think most turtles eat most plants, I used to take my friends turtles anacaris,(never can remember how to spell that plant) for a snack. So, finding plants they don't eat may be a challenge.

Work in progress...
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 06:59:49 PM »

I think he will get 6-8 inches. I am thinking about duckweed. Do you know where to buy that online? What kind of lighting do the plants need? What other snails could i get?

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »

Considering that turtle is going to be 10 inches (shell length) when its grown (3-5 years old)  I fear for the state of its health in a 20 gallon tank.

What sort of lights do you have on it?  How often does it shed it schutes?  It is a real challenge (but one that CAN be accomplished) to meet the needs of a turtle in captivity.  Many of our members here feel very strongly that their needs are so hard to meet that it simply shouldn't be tried.

I can say with confidence that if you have this poor animal in a 20 gallon tank its needs are probably not being met.  I am sorry but I cannot make any recommendations for you beyond that of bringing its current living conditions up to that of proper hospitality.

Do you know if it is a male of female... the males stay much smaller than do the females.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:07:48 PM by Karen » Logged

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Santafebites

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 07:09:20 PM »

Yep, I was kinda thinking that myself, but as usual, was sort of unsure of how big that kind gets, and not really getting to the point. Turtles grow really, really fast.....that I do know. It usually isn't a matter of years, but more like in a year. huge.

And doesn't it already have a basking light?

Work in progress...
ReptileLuver729
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 07:15:23 PM »

Right now it is 4 inches. I do not know if it is a boy or girl. I have had him since June. He has a basking lamp it is a UVA bulb. They are not hard at all to tank care of. It is one of the easiest and most fun pets i have ever had!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »

How often does it shed its schutes?  Do they come off whole or in parts?

You need a full spectrum light, UVA is a good start but with out a UVB you will experience shell deterioration rapidly.  Remember to throw out your bulbs and get news ones every 6 months.... even though they are still lit they are no longer producing the proper spectrum.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation