Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 18, 2018, 02:00:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chlorine/Chloramine question  (Read 5544 times)
accphotography

« on: December 11, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »

I have a friend taking care of my tank while I'm out of town and she volunteered to do my weekly water changes (I trust her). When she did the one today she put the betta and two snails back in the tank (she had taken them out so she could vacuum more thoroughly) she forgot the dechlorinator!  Sad Luckily she realized within (literally) a minute or two. How much damage can be done to two brigs and betta in tap water for a minute or so? I'm sure some damage was done, but I'm hoping it was minor. She says they act fine.

Thoughts?  Thanks!

ACC
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:06:54 AM »

She may have caught them in time. It would really depend on the physiology of each critter. As long as all the water was not exchanged in their tank, the chlorine may have been diluted enough to cause no permanent damage. Continue to observe the critters for any signs of distress over the next week.  happy

[attachment deleted by admin]

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
accphotography

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 12:16:12 AM »

She says she pretty much drained it, so there was no buffer.  Sad I would be mad, but it could happen to anyone. I just have to think that fast that they'll be ok... or that may just be what I need to tell myself not to feel guilty for leaving them.

ACC
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »

I would hope for the best this time--there's nothing that can be done at this piont. But for the future I would remind you friend that it's not the best idea to change all the water in the tank at one time. It's better to change 50-60% of the water so the fish doesn't experience to much stress from the changing water conditions. Also, remind her not to remove the fish from the tank when she does the change. Smiley

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:44:35 AM »

Ditto to what Susan said. This is going to make you feel bad no matter how I word this but, chlorine is absolutely just terrible on fish. Future fish sitters will need to have this stressed to them. And yes, it could happen to anyone. After a bazillion years in the hobby, little things that can have a big impact elude me at times.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 11:21:24 PM »

Or, the opposite scenario-I gave my neighbor girl a Betta, and her mom and someone else put there heads together and multiplied the amount of dechlor x 100. That was the worst, when I went over and asked how the fish was doing, I noticed a film on the tank, he was listless, I prepared new water and asked how much, and read the back of the dechlor, did the math. Got the fish new water, but he wasn't long for this world.  Sad

Ladies who know and have responded, would it make a difference what kind of de-chlorinator? Prime seems immediate, other dechlorinators I have had, say on the bottle to wait 24 hours, before adding the new water to the tank. Or, do most work immediately now a days?

Work in progress...
Redfish01
The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.

tight lines to all fisherman

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 08:27:52 AM »

I haven't been called a lady in a long time  Wink but as far as prime goes, the reason we like it is it's so concentrated, so we utilize less than most of your typical water conditioners, most if not all of them work on impact I believe to neutralize the nasty elements that our tap water contains. I have not seen the atypical conditioner that states to wait 24hrs.

why I Outta....Bang Zoom !!
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:15:37 AM »

Even the compulsives who age all their water use fast-acting chlorine/chloramine agents.  I am unsure what active material would require 24 hours to work.   Sodium thiosulffate - which used to be the standard back in chlorine-only days - is quite fast, it just does not do all the jobs required for chloramines. 

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:50:25 AM »

Even the el cheapo stuff from Walmart works near enough to immediately that it's not worth calculating the difference. Wink I use Prime, and I just add it straight to the tank before I start filling up.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 10:23:46 AM »

I have not heard, read, or personally experienced a water conditioner for aquariums that required or recommended a waiting time of 24 hours either. confused

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Santafebites

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 04:43:13 PM »

It was  Wardly water care, it said treat water and let stand for 24 hours to allow optimum evaporation. I had a big bottle of it, and used it for about 3 years. Until it ran out, and got Prime, yay. No wonder everyone always scratches their heads when I talk about letting water stand out for 24 hours. That solves that mystery. Maybe they just put that on the bottle to protect themselves. LOL.

What is the word on ACC photography's Betta?

Work in progress...
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »

Hoping for an update on the Betta also. happy

And CCL, yes, that would solve that mystery. happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
accphotography

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 12:45:21 AM »

So far all seems normal for all three critters.  Smiley I'm not sure when I'm going to be back home so I won't be able to give you a detailed report, but so far so good.

ACC
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 11:38:12 AM »

Thanks for the update. happy

(George Bernard Shaw)
accphotography

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »

Back home now. The tank looks terriffic and all critters seem as though they haven't missed a beat. Snails are everywhere and fast and betta appears just as happy as ever.  party

ACC
Santafebites

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 05:32:25 PM »

That's great news.  happy

Work in progress...
accphotography

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 08:59:00 PM »

Yup! I'm quite pleased. She may have caught it quicker than she thought she did, or maybe our water is weak. Or maybe there is damage that just isn't visible (betta's lungs look good from what I could see when he flared at me  Smiley). Either way, no harm done for the time being.

ACC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's