Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 21, 2018, 10:31:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Eye Tetra Help!!!!  (Read 2810 times)
4wide
« on: December 28, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »

I have two Red Eye Tetras that seem to have their lips infected.  The top lip of both seem to have a bacterial infection. They have no top lip as it is white.  My water parameters are normal and I haven't noticed any unusual swimming or acting by the two.  Anyone have any ideas on what it is and how to treat it?  Thanks so much for your help.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:12:48 PM »

Can you tell us what "normal" means?
What are the numerical readings for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, pH, temperature etc..
How big is the tank?  What fish are in the tank?
What is your normal cleaning schedule?

Tetras are a schooling fish, keeping them as a pair will cause a huge amount of stress on them and they will be prone to many diseases.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
4wide
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »

My tank is 29g, I have a Bristlenose pleco, 6 red eye tetras, 5 serpae tetras, and 6 cory cats.  Ammonia is 0, ph is 6.8, nitrate and nitrite is 10 and the temp is 74.
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 09:00:12 PM »

Nitrite 10 is not normal.  "Normal" nitrites are zero.   
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »

Sounds like Columnaris.

A recommended treatment would be:

Increase aeration with an air stone of surface turbulence. Feed a medicated food, preferrably with oxytetracycline. Treat for secondary infection (which is quite common with columnaris) with a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn Two. Smiley

If the fish are not eating by the time your treatment has started then, skip the medicated food and treat with nitrofurazone or chloramphenicol. Give your fish and tank a 24 hour rest after first treatment (which should be enough), do a 50-75% wter change and then treat for any secondary infection. Smiley

*Note*: When treating with nitrofurazone, leave tank lights off and block out amient light comoning into the tank with dark paper or cardboard. Not pretty but, either is dead fish belly up. Wink

[attachment deleted by admin]

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
4wide
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »

Thanks so much for the responses.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 09:41:06 PM »

If your nitrites are 10, you need to do major water changes right away.  As in do 80% water changes two or three days in a row before the medication.  Nitrites over 0.5 are toxic.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation