Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 09, 2018, 11:58:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DP won't eat  (Read 2975 times)
Jared Buchholz
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »

My DP (dwarf puffer) will not eat anything but ghost shrimp. I have three DP in my 10 gal and they all appear to be healthy. The two larger dp's (both males) eat whatever I give them (snails, ghost shrimp, feeder guppies), but the smallest puffer (a female) will not touch the snails or guppies. She only eats the ghost shrimp. Her not eating the snails is very peculiar, becuase that is what she grew up on.

I have not changed the routine at all. I am sorry that I can not provide any information about the state of the tank. They have been in the same tank with the same plants for 1 year now and this is the first problem I have had. I have noticed that she is getting a little thin and hasn't been eating as much for the last few weeks.

Any ideas?

Jared
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »

Try live blackworms.  Use a cone feeder, and place a small terra cotta or glazed saucer under the cone.   

I doubt the suitability of feeder guppies as puffer food, even for DPs  Their diet mostly inverts.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:00:13 PM »

How is this going, Jared?

Jared Buchholz
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 02:52:57 PM »

Well, Ysteb, I am going to have to update my tank description next to my name  crying . I checked and the two LPS's didn't have any blackworm, and I found her 2 days ago.  Now I have 2 male DP's in the tank.

I was planning on switching them to a 20 long when I had three of them, but I guess the 2 of them will be fine in the 10.

I checked the tank parameters before I changed the water and they were:
Nitrates 5ppm
Nitrites .2ppm
PH 7.4
Hardness ~ 75 (GH) ppm

I have no ammonia test kit right now, but without it, can anyone deduce why she konked? Like I said before, there was no change in diet but I did move to a new University and am now using their water. I have 2 five gallon water jugs that I used to transport the water that was in the tank before I moved and used that water when I set the tank up again. I then filled 3 one gallon jugs with the new school water and dripped a drop of TLC Super Water Conditioner in them then changed the water a few days later, refilling the water taken out with the water in the 3 one gallon jugs.

Just to give you a timeline, I got to the University on the 4th of Janurary. So she probably cut back on her eating ~ the 18th. I messaged the 27th and she died the 7th.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Jared
Dawn
Just Dawn.
Senior Staff

Freshwater fish love fresh water.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »

A nitrite reading suggests your tank is cycling or cycling again.   Did you keep the filter media wet when you moved the tank?  DPs are very sensitive to water quality.  You need an ammonia test kit.  I bet the cycling is why the female died.

Jared Buchholz
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »

Got an ammonia test kit and the reading is .3 ppm (mg/L). It would appear you are right.

I completely forgot to keep the filter wet, so the guess is the bacteria bed died.

Water changes as the remedy till the bed grows back?

Thank you again,
Jared
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »

I second Dawn's comments - DPs have no resistance to ammonia or nitrite, they are among the more sensitive of fish.  Do a 50% partial immediately and plan on doing that at least daily or more often until the tank has re-cycled.   Anytime you can read either ammonia or nitrite at all, do an immediate 50% partial, even if you just finished doing one.

Dawn
Just Dawn.
Senior Staff

Freshwater fish love fresh water.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 05:33:49 PM »

Normally in a cycling tank, I would recommend feeding once every other day or once every third day.  I'm not sure if DPs can handle that though.  RTR, thoughts?

RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 11:36:54 PM »

Yes, they can.  It would be a lot better for them than death by ammonia & nitrite.  They are among the fish fed every day but one fast day per week with me, much like fry.  But they are too sensitive to tolerate the metabolites - they are scaleless, have no hard gill covers/opercula (speeding up respiration is more work for them), and for whatever reason seem to lack the ability to regenerate new gill tissue as well as many fish (one of the multiple reasons why they need more water volume than other fish ) - puffers are weird fish, period.  They are demanding but worth the effort.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's