Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 23, 2018, 11:26:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a question i am sure you all are sick of  (Read 3957 times)
majestikmoose
workin on it

« on: February 01, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »

so, i have this betta.......

lol.

seriously though. we had this one betta at work, and he was the most pathetic looking thing on earth, he is mostly white, VERY tiny, we've had him for about 2 months in the store, no one wants him because he looks like a sickly ballerina..

anyway. i took him home, and am giving him my extra 10 gallon tank.

i will try to get a pic up, he looks exceptionally puny, what can i do to , i don't know, beef him up?

rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:13:14 PM »

Moving is a very good start. The ten gal. of course should be a cycling tank with an established biological filter. Wink happy

[attachment deleted by admin]

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
majestikmoose
workin on it

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »

i am throwing my 20L filter on there for a while(already have a betta and some golden barbs in that tank...).

i know in the dog world, we have things we can make , satin balls for example, that put weight on an animal fast.

are there foods that do this with fish??

maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 06:42:27 AM »

Bettas, ime, love frozen and freeze dried bloodworms and will eat them voraciously.  They are a very high protein food.

Any live food will do much the same, and one of our members, Ed, makes an excellent line of very high quality foods.   

WWW.almostnaturaltropicalfishfood.com

Big tank with excellent water quality (lots of water changes) and good quality high protein food will do the trick if it can be done.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
Stella G
Chum Bucket Survivor aka Angry McGrumpypants

Tanks: 10, 20, 40 & 55

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »

Ditto the above, but just be sure not to feed too much at once.  Small, frequent meals will be better than one large meal.  Bettas can be little pigs and can overeat themselves to death.  Slow and steady.....

Good luck with the little guy.  Smiley

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time."
Santafebites

Tanks: corydoras aeneus. And soon a Betta.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »

I may be speaking for myself, but there aren't any fish questions that I am sick of...especially Betta's, Betta's are a very cool fish. Hope you can re-hab him.  Smiley  Ditto again on the above advise-Moving it is a very good idea, I think there is a lot of misconceptions about Betta, that they like to be in dirty tanks, or don't need filters. And that is just not true.
When I used to have Betta's I couldn't believe all the crazy things I heard well meaning fish store employees say.
You have come to the right place, ask away, I am sure everyone would love to help you get this guy healthy.

Work in progress...
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »

I know my bettas have been going nuts lately for live blackworms.Ive found NLS 1mm cichlid pellet is very well liked by them.
Wrong season to find them but mosquito larvae are the absolute favorite.

If you can get any indian almond tea leaves,atisons betta spa, or blackwater extract,or anything ketapang extract Ive found bettas respond well to adding some to the water.

Waiting will fill
majestikmoose
workin on it

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:41:01 AM »

this is so frustrating, he is very active, all over his tank...but he is not eating. i mean, i throw a party if he even knows there is food there after i drop it in..

so far, i have not gone live. but i have done flakes, crisps, frozen, dried bloodworms, dried shrimp, veggie flakes, even crushed cichlid pellets, and the regular betta pellets.

he doesn't even go inspect it. i watch it sink on down to the bottom of the tank, with no interest shown by him.

my other betta is such a voracious eater, this is really bothering me.
this is him from above. sorry, but it is with my camera phone...

gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »

Some bettas are just picky.If he doesnt respond to ketapang extract and live food then its hopeless.They can survive months without food before starving.

Waiting will fill
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »

I have never had a betta refuse live food. Even the pickiest eaters haven't been able to resist checking out the little squirmy things in the water. Once I bought a sea monkeys kit (yes, I actually bought one) and raised sea monkeys for my betta. It was plenty for one betta, and I didn't have to mess with the irritating BBS setup. lol Anyway, something you might want to try (the live food, not necessarily the sea monkeys--lol). Another thought is guppy fry. If you have somewhere you can keep them--all my bettas LOVE guppy fry. Best to the keep the guppies separate from the betta so they don't eat the whole batch of fry at once.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
majestikmoose
workin on it

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

look at how skinny he is though...i have rarely seen fish so tadpole-ish...
you know what, i JUST fed the last of my guppy fry to some of my cichlids...i wish i had held some back now, but i was re-doing that tank, and wanted them gone.

well, i am pretty sure at least ONE of my guppies has to be preggers again.

BUT, good news!!! he ate like a champ today! it's like he suddenly discovered that there is food up there.

a crayfish came in with our feeder goldfish about 2 weeks ago, we didnt' see him until today, and my boss told me to "get rid of him". so he is hanging out with this betta for now. they are ignoring eachother, which is good. the crayfish is slightly smaller that mr. betta, and is chilling in a cave.

will they be ok?

McPleco
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »

Just a thought - was he kept in unheated water?  They'll stop eating if they're cold.  It can take them a few days even after being put into water of the right temp before they 'wake up'.

kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 09:02:13 AM »

No, they will not make good tankmates. Crayfish can and will catch and eat fish, and the slow-moving betta will make a great target. I would get him out of there ASAP.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
majestikmoose
workin on it

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 11:38:19 AM »

yeah, i took the crayfish out. he is getting his own tank. that will have its own thread here shortly.

the betta was kept in your typical cup on a petstore shelf. the air temp was 68-70 constantly.

his water now is almost 80, and he is doing better each day, but still skinny.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation