Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 23, 2018, 11:27:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 2122 times)
Chelle

Tanks: 40 g (in progress), 16 g (empty)

« on: February 09, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »

Since I've never had an appropriately stocked tank before, I need some input before I add anything else...  Smiley Tank is a 40 gallon long, cycled, up and running since October, moderately planted with sand substrate. Current inhabitants:

9 neon tetras
6 peppered cories
2 baby bristle nosed plecos (they are beautiful and doing great, Lori - they're finally starting to come out of hiding and are growing so quickly)

I'm interested in bumping up the schools of neons and cories- do I have room for more, and how many would you recommend?
Thanks!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »

You definitely have room for more.  I like large schools.  Honestly I would vote for adding another 12 or more neons.

Even with that, you could probably get away with a couple of other smaller fish if you wanted.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Chelle

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 07:10:38 PM »

12 or more neons?! Karen, you just made my day! A school of 20+ neons is going to be beautiful...they were not my first choice of fish (the BF wanted them), but they're starting to really grow on me. As it is, I've been trying to resist the urge to add any additional species to the tank - thinking that larger schools of fewer species would be best for the fish.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 07:24:21 PM »

Don't forget to quarantine!

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
turtletoes

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »

Oh, Chelle! I'm So happy your fishies are doing well! Smiley

I'd stick with a huge school of neons!! Smiley Great idea!! :0) They are a stunning sight to see when you get 20+ in a tank. I never wanted neons because Everybody wants neons.... I always want to go with something different from the norm. So, I got a big ol' school of of "green" neon tetras, very similar to your fish and they are just really cool in a big school.  kewl

I would up the cory school too. Others might think that 2 bn and more than 6 cories might be too much for the bottom. But, I think it would be alright to add about 3 more cories as well.

I cant really think of any other fish I would put in there. With the neons, cories, and bn; you probably have some wiggle room as far as bioload goes......but, I cannot think of any suitable fish that could be added as a single specimen and I think that adding another school of anything will mess with the nice clear picture of the tank you have going on now.

You could leave off some of the neons and go with a smaller school of another small or slightly larger tetra if you really cant resist--like a school of 6 diamonds or "rosy" tetras(Not serpaes or bleeding hearts), or what else???? Adding a ram or 2 would crowd the bottom too much. Angels will eat the neons. A gourami would seem out of place to me in that set up....... other fish I can think of would just cause trouble for the neons....

I like your idea to stick with greater numbers of fewer species. I think your tank is going to be very lovely with a bunch more neons and a few more cories. Smiley

take care
~Lori

don't worry, be happy
Chelle

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »

I won't forget to quarantine, and I won't add it all to the tank at once either  Smiley

Lori, I completely agree and will be leaving it at just the three species. I have an empty 40g tank waiting to be set up after we move next month (still thinking about rainbows), and possibly I can con the BF into more tanks after that so I can house some more of the fish I've fallen in love with.
turtletoes

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »

Sounds like a good plan Smiley

don't worry, be happy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman