Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 23, 2018, 11:26:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nocturnal LEDs ?'s  (Read 2535 times)
Clint
loachaholic

Tanks: 20G planted, 90g planted up and running 4/09

« on: February 11, 2009, 12:08:31 PM »

Alright, on my quest to get this 90g up and running i have contemplated getting a LED moonlight setup. Anyone have experience with those mini LED sets? If so i'm a bit confused on the moon light white and the nocturnal blue termination? I'm considering the

Current's
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+12760&pcatid=12760

Marina Micro's
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+10704+15551&pcatid=15551

for a 4' tank i figure i'll need two, could always use more, but am trying to keep the price down to around $30 or so. Which is why the CoraLife's isn't on the list, but i really like it. Any input would be much appreciated, Thanks

20g 3 praecox rainbows, 1 Skunk botias,

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
Jaster
Newb in training!

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

I saw at walmart a set of string decklights in white blue and red. They aren't the christmass tree light types by the way. There are a strip of LED lights in a vinyl sleeve. My parents have these around their dock. they work great and stand up to all weather conditions. So I have no reason to think they wouldn't handle some tank humidity. They are only $10 for a 25' length. I plan on getting these and mounting them to the rim of the tank just under the hood. I've seen the blue and it's not very bright and I think it would give a nice "moonlight" glow.
Clint
loachaholic

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »

Rope lights, theres an option. Not sure on how much penetration i'd get. Would add a nice glow to the tank when the other lights are off.

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
Jaster
Newb in training!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »

yes exactly... I saw a few tanks on some of the DIY lights threads online.
nesser

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:10:19 AM »

I have the Marina blue LED get them at walmart,I over paid at a petstore.As far as I know green LED showcases plants well,red allows you to see more of the nocturnal behavior and blue looks like the moon but it doesn't really matter to fish.I put them on a timer as well but I still wish I just had them built into my hood with programmable timers,t5's and metal halide setup.I'll have to sweet talk my old lady JJ.   
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 11:18:59 AM »

I have done the same as Nesser and Walmart is where to get them.

I bought one strand and it fit perfectly around the inside of the hood for my 55g. Plug it in to a timer and you can watch some of the nocternal fish for a while before you go to sleep Wink

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Clint
loachaholic

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 01:41:40 PM »

I have done the same as Nesser and Walmart is where to get them.

I bought one strand and it fit perfectly around the inside of the hood for my 55g. Plug it in to a timer and you can watch some of the nocternal fish for a while before you go to sleep Wink

Your talking about the rope lights?

Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »

Yes I am happy

They are in the garden/outdoor section.

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's