Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 13, 2019, 08:58:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brig problem  (Read 6353 times)
accphotography

« on: March 01, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »

My golden brig seems sick. She has been very withdrawn for a bit over a week. She doesn't move around much and stays tucked up in her shell most of the time. I keep thinking she's already dead so I go to take her out and she pulls further into her shell so I know she's alive. A few of the times I've moved her she's responded by coming out and crawling around for a bit, but she looks funny. When she moves around her foot is way in front of her head and it almost looks like she can't even get her mouth past her foot to eat (she doesn't even appear to attempt to eat). I've also seen her in her shell upside down (on her back) and make no attempt to right herself for extended periods. I've been doing my 50%+ water changes every week as well as my vacuuming. Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <5ppm. I haven't checked KH and GH lately (I'll do that if it will help you guys) but they get 3-4 drops of liquid calcium once a week and a slice of cucumber or occasionally lettuce if that's all I have on hand once a week as well. I would be concerned about my methods, except that my other brig is FINE. She's active, grazing constantly, paragliding around, eating, etc. The purple (healthy) brigs shell looks good to me and I don't see anything odd about it. The golden's (sick) shell doesn't seem quite right to me though. The shape of the opening seems very narrow and long as opposed to round, but maybe that's normal? She's considerably smaller than the purple even though they were the same size when I got them and she hasn't seemed to grow much in a while even though the purple still is. Her shell appears very transparent to me, though I don't see any ridges, cracks, pale area, or anything that would indicate damage, it just looks clearish. However I will say I have always been able to see through her shell enough to see either her heart or lung (something pulsing) even when she was healthy so I don't know if that is a clue or not. How long are these guys supposed to live? She's nowhere near the golfball size they are supposed to get to, but I don't know how old she is. I've had her several months. Another case where I'd thinkt he purple would be showing problems if that were the issue.

So... I don't know. Any ideas?

Thanks,

ACC
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »

All the information that you have provided is normal for maintaining a healthy brig. You can see through the shells of gold brigs so that's also normal.

Brigs grow at different rates so for her to be the smaller of the two is also normal.

At times brigs become less active for short periods of time but it shouldn't last for long. The opening of her shell being a little different shouldn't have any impact on her health status.

Your maintenance routine is as it should be. You could up the veggies you feed them to several times a week. Algae wafers daily & veggies a few days a week will provide them with a healthy diet. You can also add a piece of fruit as a treat.

Observe her and make certain that both brigs are being given enough to eat without fouling your water. Make sure there isn't a fish picking at them as that will make them retreat into their shells.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
suebe333
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »

Debra , you are just a wealth of  snail information Smiley
accphotography

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »

All the information that you have provided is normal for maintaining a healthy brig. You can see through the shells of gold brigs so that's also normal.

Brigs grow at different rates so for her to be the smaller of the two is also normal.

At times brigs become less active for short periods of time but it shouldn't last for long. The opening of her shell being a little different shouldn't have any impact on her health status.

Your maintenance routine is as it should be. You could up the veggies you feed them to several times a week. Algae wafers daily & veggies a few days a week will provide them with a healthy diet. You can also add a piece of fruit as a treat.

Observe her and make certain that both brigs are being given enough to eat without fouling your water. Make sure there isn't a fish picking at them as that will make them retreat into their shells.

HTH

All excellent information for a relative snail newcomer! I didn't think I liked golds until this one. She's pretty cool and I like her light foot and clearish shell.

I suspect it's not from lack of food as when I do put it in there now, she won't go to it.

She does get picked on some, but no more now than she ever has and I've had her several months. She's just in with the one Betta and he rarely messes with either of them anymore. I'll admit he always picked on her more than the purple but she got to where she wouldn't even stop eating when he did (he usually only tapped her shell, didn't go for her body). I also noticed the last time she was out that her antennae were quite long, which means he hasn't picked on her in a while as that used to be the first think he'd go for so I'd think they'd be shorter. LOL!

I guess for now all I can do is keep attempting to entice her with food and wait. I feel a bit helpless, but if everything is as it should be and she just won't eat, I don't guess there is anything I can do. *shrug* *sniff sniff*

Thanks so much for your help Debra!

ACC
accphotography

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:56:10 PM »

Goldie left us this evening.  Sad I'm still not sure exactly why, but the more I read, the more I think it was "old age". Either way i choose to believe she passed peacefully. She will be missed.

A photo of her and her balloon:

RIP Goldie

Thanks for your help Debra. Hopefully Purple has a while still. She seems as happy as can be, but Goldie went down in little more than a week so who knows. They were approximately the same size when I got them, though it's possible Goldie was older (she was the freebie "in case of DOA" shipment). I'll be keeping an eye out when shipments start again for a "replacement" (boy is that a misnomer, doubt I can replace her constant parasnailing self) for her or both of them. That is unless anyone has one or two they are willing to part with.  Smiley

ACC
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »

I'm so sorry. Sad

She looks great in the picture, shell and all. You was doing everything right so this certainly isn't your fault.

Theory: She could have been being used as a breeder before she was shipped to you. They tend to not live as long.

HTH, and again I'm sorry for your loss.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
accphotography

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:30 AM »

That photo was taken the day I got her. Her shell looks a bit different now. I don't see *anything* unusual about her shell at all except for the little bit of green algae that's on it and I've inspected it pretty closely now. It looks identical to Purple's (who is quickly zooming around as I type) and I don't see any possible outer cause. I definitely think you may be right about her being used as a breeder as I'm sure the "freebie/DOA covers" are probably not the top stock. Either way, I think she had a happy life the short time she was with us and she will be missed. Meanwhile Purple is doing her job fantastically.

Thanks for your support. It's a sad day, but I knew it would come eventually.

ACC
suebe333
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »

I have 6 young brigs I could part with one or two for you Smiley
accphotography

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 04:18:29 AM »

Oh my!!!  party What colors do you have? Can you ship in this weather?

ACC
suebe333
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 07:03:11 AM »

I have 3 little golds and 3 little brown and gold stripes , where do you live? Im in Florida and the weather is good here right now
accphotography

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 04:22:57 PM »

Well I definitely wouldn't mind having another gold. My purple seems to be doing well for now. I've been debating if I would bother with another purple or just get what's convenient because the purple, doesn't really look purple anyway. Are your browns light or dark foot? How little are they? The most I would get (until I get another tank) would be 2 as that's really pushing overstocking this 5g.

I'm in Kentucky and the weather today is gorgeous, but I think it's supposed to drop back to the 40s later this week. Unless you have other plans for them we might just wait until we can be sure about the weather. It probably won't be much longer *crosses fingers*. I'm tired of cold winds and shaggy horses.  proud

ACC
accphotography

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 08:30:33 PM »

Hey, it just occurred to me that my husband flies to Florida nearly ever week. Are you North or South?

ACC
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »

Shipping brigs in cold weather will not harm them unless the temps are in the single digits.

Shipping brigs in hot weather will kill them quickly. The weather is great for shipping at this time as long as someone is home to get them when they arrive.

Don't use a heat pack.

Hope that Helped.

suebe333
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »

they have light foot/feet whatever :p lol  , I am in central FL  sebring to be exact .. they are smaller than a quarter right now
accphotography

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »

Wow! That seems big to me! Goldie was less than a quarter when she passed. Purple is bigger, but not by a whole lot. Though I have figured they were at least 10 months old.

Probably not a convenient area for him to go to. Since this is good shipping time (TYVM Debra!) I might have to take you up on it. I'm really out of it tonight (looooooong day) so I'll get back with you soon when I'm thinking clearer. LOL!

ACC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's