Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 08, 2019, 10:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: egg shells for snails  (Read 2041 times)
Pierre
Mr. Guppy

« on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:27 AM »

I read in the brig profile that egg shells can be used for added calcium.  How do you do this? Just crumple them up in your hand and sprinkle on the gravel? Or grind them up as fine as you can?

How much is recomended for a 5 or 10 gal tank, each with a batch of golden apple hatchlings, about 3 weeks old?

Any other tips for raising healthy baby brigs?
suebe333
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:46:48 AM »

good question ,,,  I threw a cuttlebone in with mine , but Id like to know about the eggshells too Smiley
Pierre
Mr. Guppy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »

Bump! Any experience with egg shells would help.  Calcium suppliments for fish aren't available in my town, and I don't like ordering online.

What about calcium tablets for humans?  I have a big bottle of those, I think they are maid from sea shells or something.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 01:01:14 AM »

I'm glad you bumped this. Smiley

The best way to get calcium in your water is buy a bottle of Kent's Liquid Calcium and add a few drops every other day.

Cuttlebone provides a little calcium also. Every little bit counts.

A steady pH (also very important) can be achieved by adding crushed coral to your substrate or by putting some in a small bag and putting it in your filter.

I'm going to assume that since you have so many hatchlings that you plan to sell them. You want them to look nice and have perfect shells. *At least I do when I plan to sell a batch.

Steady & High pH Over 7 is a must. Add calcium drops to the water. High in Calcium foods.

__________________Egg Shells________________

My experience with egg shells was a disaster. I'm also not certain as to how much calcium the shells actually add to the water.

What I did: ONCE - I crushed the eggs shells but not into a powder. If it turns into a powder then you're simply going to suck it all out with a vac. I sprinkled the egg shell on the substrate. Because it wasn't in a powder form it poked the snails and they didn't appear to like getting on the bottom of the tank.

I then tried to remove the small/tiny pieces of egg shells from the gravel. It was impossible to do so I had to remove the substrate and put new gravel back in the tank.

Egg shells are usable but I won't ever try to use them again.

I know you don't like to order things online but you really do need some calcium drops.

A batch of hatchlings should be 50 - 100 babies. You can successfully raise them in a 10 but you will have to perform a water change every day or every other day. Your pH will drop quickly as the hatchlings grow.

I hope that Helped! Smiley

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
suebe333
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »

good info
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM