Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 22, 2019, 06:39:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guess who has pest snails!!!  (Read 5894 times)
MzManda

Tanks: Planted 30 gallon (Jack, my blue dwarf gourami, amanos, panda cories & neons) 10 gal: Peanut my dwarf indian puffer & bumblebee gobies

JACK!

« on: January 31, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »

Through immaculate conception I am guessing.

I just saw one super tiny snail on Wednesday, got my net & fished him out.  Into the garbage disposal!

Then yesterday (Friday) I did a big gravel vac/water change & found 12.  TWELVE!  I haven't added a darn thing to this tank for a whole month & all of a sudden I find pond snails?  Doesn't that seem weird to you???

So my question is, any idea on how to irradicate?  My gourami Jack is no help (I gave him a stern talking to but alas, no snail chomping ensued).  I have a gold brig in there so I don't want to do anything to harm him.  I saw an idea online I wanted to get opinions on: put some lettuce in a container with little holes in it & sink to the bottom.  The pest snails will get in & not out so the next morning you can remove a bunch at once.  Anyone try this?

Also, thought I lost my brig to the tank in the sky last night.  Just did the water change & planted my QTed plants and he was having fun floating on a pennywort leaf - so cute - when about 30 minutes later he was floating, trap door kinda shut with lots of pink oozing out!  I freaked & watched him until he came to & started cruising around.  He has been hanging onto the heater a lot recently (although I keep the tank at a steady 78 F).  Does that spell sick to anyone?

Thanks for your help snail friends (and exterminators  Smiley )

RIP Elton & Gary - I miss my boys.
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:22:04 PM »

depending on the size of your fish, you may be able to use a smallish bottle, if the neck of the bottle is smaller than your smallest fish.  If not, I would just weight down a lettuce leaf with a stainless steel salad fork - spear the vein with the tine and rest the handle on the leaf. Put i in the tank at or after lights out and take it out AM firs thing. Repeat for several days.

You likely carried a snail egg mass in on a plant and they hatched after it was in your tank.  The newly hatched snails are very nearly invisible (invisible to me).  It takes quite some time for them to be easily seen.

HTH

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Corwin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »

could these tiny snails be baby brigs. . . i thought i read somewhere that brigs could store sperm?

40 Gallon:
Hi-Tech Planted Tank

1.1 Cornsnakes | 0.1 Ball Python | 1.0 Red-Tail Boa

2 Cats

2 Dog
John the Fisherman
Harvester of the Sea

Tanks: 55g Community; 29g Green Spotted Puffer

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »

Send them to me!  My puffer is hungry!  happy

I had a post in the gerneral discussion forum about how I can hardly keep any snails in my community tank, and I WANT them.  People seemed to agree that my cories are part of the reason for this (I have 6 in a 55g).  If you plan on stocking cories, which it seems you do, they might help you out a little. 

When my cories were babies it seemed like they did little to nothing in regard to exploring the tank and (possibly) eating snail eggs.  They mostly hid and stayed on the bottom.  Now they are all over the place, in every little crevice, on every plant, and I doubt there are many places a snail could lay an egg that they couldn't get to.

I also have an angel fish who is getting bigger.  People said she might be a good snail-eater too, though I've never seen her do it.
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:41:39 AM »

It's not brig hatchlings unless there was a clutch above the waterline that was never seen.

Trap, smash and pick the pond snails out.

Brig:
Was there any type of chemical in the QT tank?
Did you add anything to it to desnail your QT plants.
If a brig comes in contact with an irritant it will excrete an abnormal amount of slime. 

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
MzManda

Tanks: Planted 30 gallon (Jack, my blue dwarf gourami, amanos, panda cories & neons) 10 gal: Peanut my dwarf indian puffer & bumblebee gobies

JACK!

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:20:29 PM »

Thanks RTR, Corwin & John!  I am pretty sure they are pond snails - I checked out an older post on here with photos to double check.  I looked really thoroughly last night through the glass & didn't see any.  I do plan on putting panda cories in here (only 2 more weeks of QT!) so that may help.  Otherwise I am going to try Robert's idea with the lettuce.  Smiley

It's not brig hatchlings unless there was a clutch above the waterline that was never seen.

Trap, smash and pick the pond snails out.

Brig:
Was there any type of chemical in the QT tank?
Did you add anything to it to desnail your QT plants.
If a brig comes in contact with an irritant it will excrete an abnormal amount of slime. 

No chemicals in the QT other than Prime and a drop of Flourish for the plants.  I recently added Flourish (not excel) and some iron fert (about 1/3 of the recommended dose) for the plants.  I haven't done anything regarding de-snailing other than fishing them out with my net.  This morning Gary (the brig) was cruising around like normal on the far end from the heater.  Maybe he wasn't feeling great?  He gets fed shrimp pellets & algae wafers (alternated) and I plan on getting him some raisins when I go grocery shopping  Smiley  The only weird thing (and I will try to get a photo) is he is bright gold but through his shell you can see this black line (probably close to 1mm wide) underneath the shell.  His shell is pretty thick but you can still see this black streak.  Something on his body inside the shell?  Anything bad?  I have read about snails a little on here but am the first to admit I need to learn more! 

Thanks for your help all  proud

MzManda

JACK!

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »

I took a few pictures of Gary last night - any thoughts?  I gave him a raisin yesterday & it disappeared  Smiley

Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 04:55:33 AM »

From what I can see in the picture Gary looks to be in good shape. The dark line you see is part of his digestive tract. It's nothing to worry about.

If he always keeps his tentacles tucked in when he's out cruising about then one of your fish is picking at him.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
MzManda

JACK!

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 11:24:46 AM »

From what I can see in the picture Gary looks to be in good shape. The dark line you see is part of his digestive tract. It's nothing to worry about.

If he always keeps his tentacles tucked in when he's out cruising about then one of your fish is picking at him.

HTH

Whew! Thanks Debra!!!  Jack leaves him completely alone - sometimes helps by messing with his food so he can smell it better  Smiley  Gary was cruising around last night & seems to be back to normal!  I feel way better now  woohoo

suebe333
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 01:22:40 PM »

Will the brig ,  eat the  little snails ?
MzManda

JACK!

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 01:31:23 PM »

Will the brig ,  eat the  little snails ?

I wish Gary had a bizarre, murderous streak that would compel him to shred these pest snails to pieces but alas, no.  The pest snails are multiplying so quickly that I am getting really fed up of trying to catch them all.  I keep fishing ones out on the glass with my net & grinding them down the garbage disposal.  Not a fun way to go  Sad

I do think that they are keeping the diatom issues I am having a little in check so I'm not totally mad.  Now the plan is to dismantle some of the tank on Thursday, kill every snail I find (sans Gary) and add my first two panda corys that have been QTing for 5 weeks.  I am highly proud of my impulse control that usually doesn't exist...

Then I am going to get two otos to help control the algae issues & feed a lot less, this starving the remaining pest snails.  I am hoping this insane plan works!

suebe333
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »

Smiley  good luck with that
suebe333
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »

But that gives me hope :p  ,, does that mean I could get an apple snail to go in the tank with my little ramshorns ?
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 08:54:35 PM »

Yes.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 01:51:10 AM »

Yes, if the tank is big enough and if you're not referring to putting one in your Oscars tank.

MzManda,

If you want your tank to be 100% pest snail free it will take a total break down, hard work and alot of time. Everything would have to be scrubbed and then left out to dry.

Cutting down on food will help but it Will not cure the problem.

Example: I have ramshorn snails in my Eels tank. My eel eats only live shrimp at this time. There is no food for the ramshorns other than the little bit of algae that grows on decor. I have noticed that the ramshorm population is getting out of control even though I don't actually put any food in the tank. Soon enough I am going to have to tear it down.

The above is just one example of why I know that cutting back on food helps but doesn't cure the problem. They are underwater roaches.

HTH

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 02:06:49 AM by Debra » Logged

suebe333
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »

ewwww for the roaches example Sad  , but I like them LOL ...  thanks for the info ,,, my ramshorns are in a 20 high with a few swordtails
MzManda

JACK!

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »

Well I keep looking at my tank in slight disgust over the 405978907235097 flipping pond snails I find!!!  However, upon closer examination yesterday, I see I have a few ramshorns now!!!  Is this a good thing?  I think I remember reading that a few of those might out-eat the pond snails.  Should I be keeping them?  I am still pulling about 40 pond snails out a week to meet their fate in my garbage disposal.

suebe333
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 01:17:17 PM »

Heck ,  I see people buying pond snails on ebay  crazy , but I like the ramshorns
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation