Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 06, 2019, 03:42:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why would snails be affected by a water change  (Read 5885 times)
suebe333
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »

More so than the fish ?  the fish are fine , the snails are acting like they are dead , wont come out to eat  just floating in there closed up shells ??  I finally got scared and put them in my quarentine tank, the cana immediatly started moving around , the brigs just opened a bit and still arent moving ,   I checked the water , and Nitrates are only 5 , but ) nitrites , and .5 ammonia ?? but I added prime , because I know my well water has a1.5 reading of ammonia right now ,   the Ph is 7.2  , , the killies and tetras are fine ??  I dont get it
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »

Contrary to what many may think,inverts are much more sensitive to water conditions than fish.I would have expected exactly that,the snails reacting to the poor quality incoming water like canaries in a coalmine.

Waiting will fill
kcgirl81

Tanks: Planted 75g: angelfish/tetras/BN pleco/cories; 29: serpae tetras; 29: emerald apistos; 3 gal betta tank

Gone fishin'

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:18:17 AM »

Do you treat the water before you put it in the tank, or do you add the prime to the tank and then add the water? Usually the 2nd way is fine, but if you know you have 1.5 ammonia in your well water, you might try treating the water first and then adding it.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm; it's about how to dance in the rain.
suebe333
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »

I treat it before I put it in ,,  but I think I found the problem ,,,   I did not check the PH today , I ASSumed it was at what it is always at , anyhow , just got home and checked that tank again ..  everything is the same except the ph isnt even reading 6.0 , so it is extremely low ,   I added PH up for now for a quick fix , now I must grab some coral from somewhere , dang I feel like a dumb@@@
jony

Tanks: 75 gal with 3 picuts cats

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 02:51:36 PM »

But what caused the pH crash?  That might be a better fix than just adding coral.

Jack of all trades Master of none!!
suebe333
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 02:52:59 PM »

Not sure ,,,   I do have coral in my other tanks for the PH reason , but this tank has been fine ,, although , I did have cuttle bone in there and dont have now !?!?!?  could that be the difference
suebe333
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

My first time keeping inverts "blush" and for the past 2 years have only had the Oscar ,, He is very forgiving lol
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 11:41:04 PM »

Contrary to what many may think,inverts are much more sensitive to water conditions than fish.I would have expected exactly that,the snails reacting to the poor quality incoming water like canaries in a coalmine.

I agree with Gomez 100% and then some.

I added PH up for now for a quick fix

Throw that stuff in the trash. Smiley You will create a pH swing that will do more harm than having a slightly low pH. And 6 is not really low, but it will not keep your snails shells strong and healthy. You want a high pH for their shells but a low pH won't harm them unless it stays low for an extended period of time and then their shells begin to deteriorate.

The cuttlebone didn't change anything (good or bad). No worries.

Ammonia IS very harmful to snails. It burns their body which is why they closed up and wouldn't come out. They have to live in ammonia free water.

HTH

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
suebe333
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:56:59 AM »

so you think it was just that bit of ammonia bothering them , not the low ph at all huh ?  OK ,  I guess as long as my tap is reading ammonia I'll use bottled water for the invert tanks..
suebe333
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »

OK , all is well again ,,   Bob and the brigs are cruising around in their tank again  , still ignoring the zucchini but moving YAY
suebe333
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »

I sooooooo wish I could keep plants with Bob
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »

You can keep a plant with Bob for approximately 48 hours.  Smiley Add some nice silks to the tank he's in. He won't eat them.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
accphotography

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 06:50:10 PM »

You can keep a plant with Bob for approximately 48 hours.  Smiley Add some nice silks to the tank he's in. He won't eat them.

ROFL!!!

ACC
suebe333
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

LMAO  ,  yup thats about the size of it ,,  I did put some silks in there with him , along with my DD's plastic glow in the dark plant UGH...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation