Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 06:00:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Knight Emperor Tetras  (Read 5657 times)
4LegsGood

Tanks: 30 Gallon Tall: 12 Blue Emperor Tetras, 6 black neons, Amano shrimp - Planted; 40G R - 8 Bloodfin Tetras, 7 Julii cory cats, 7 Black Emperor Tetras, 7 Neon Tetras, Amano Shrimp; 10 Gallon QT: Red Cherry Shrimp

« on: March 19, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »

Okay, I was just at a fish shop that I have to kinda go out of my way to get to, and they had these (I believe they were called) "Black Knight Emperor Tetras", and they looked reeeeeeally cool.

For some reason I have emperor tetras on the brain. Even though I've heard bad things about real emperors, and my blue emperors (Kerri or King tetras) are only slightly related (and I LOVE them). These things looked like regular Emperor Tetras in shape and size, but they were a deep shiny black. Darker than pictures I've seen of Black Emperor Tetras. They had the tail thing going on too, but they also had a mostly blue eye/ring around the eye.

Are they a new breed or something unnatural? Has anyone heard of them? I've heard horror stories of Emperors (being aggressive and breeding nuts), so I don't think I'd pursue them, but still it's tempting. They'd be a sharp contrast to bloodfin tetras (I still want another school to to with bloodfins and corys in my 40G tank)...

Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

David
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »

Nematobrycon palmeri morph?  Or just natural coloring.  And a damn fancy marketing name?
4LegsGood

Tanks: 30 Gallon Tall: 12 Blue Emperor Tetras, 6 black neons, Amano shrimp - Planted; 40G R - 8 Bloodfin Tetras, 7 Julii cory cats, 7 Black Emperor Tetras, 7 Neon Tetras, Amano Shrimp; 10 Gallon QT: Red Cherry Shrimp

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »

Nematobrycon palmeri morph?  Or just natural coloring.  And a damn fancy marketing name?

The best I've found so far is on a page about breeding Emperors, and it says there's a Nematobrycon amphiloxus "color sport" (whatever that is!) where the fish is almost completely velvety black with males having blue eyes and females green. (http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/species-info/tetra/breeding-emperor-tetras.aspx)

And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I saw. What's a color sport? Just selective breeding? Ooooor...?

Definitely a fancy marketing name to attract nerds like me! I think it's working too!

David
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »

"and it says there's a Nematobrycon amphiloxus "color sport" (whatever that is!) where the fish is almost completely velvety black with males having blue eyes and females green."

Don't know about the green eyed females, but the males do not keep that deep coloration all the time. Its all for show, dominance, and courtship. Wink The most applied common name is simply Black Emperor Tetra.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
4LegsGood

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 06:01:13 PM »

Okay, further to my other questions about them, I've finally been able to rehome my serpae tetras, who turned out to be less than wonderful for me, just because I couldn't house them adequately, I suppose, and in a large enough school so they proceeded to slowly kill each other off. It ended up being all or nothing with them, so I opted for nothing. Now I'm planning the final stocking of my 40 Gallon work tank.

So far it's got 8 bloodfins and 9 Julii corys. I want to finish it with a school that will be interested in the top of the tank a little and will contrast with other inhabitants. I *don't* want incompatibilites, though, and I don't want another Serpae situation. Almost everything I've read on the emperors has been good. I love my Blue Emperors (in another tank), but they're not quite the same species.

The tank has a pretty natural feel to it, with brownish gravel, lots of stones and fake plants. I plan to add a bit of wood and ultimately replace the fake plants with live ones (hopefully).

So far the Bloodfins spend almost as much time on the bottom (or near it) as the corys. My Blue Emperors love the top areas, though the wander into the depths as well.

Anyway, my central question is: Does anyone think I'll regret these guys like I did the serpaes? I plan on a school of 8-10, and, again, that will finish the stocking.

Thanks for any opinions!

David
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »

easier to do it this way.  Really just an expansion upon the original question.
4LegsGood

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »

Sounds good, and thanks, Sully! Sorry about the mess!

David
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »

That is fine.  Of all the stuff a mod can do here--this is probably the most enjoyable to me.  I hate some of the other stuff--lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation