Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 05, 2019, 02:42:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: african feather fin catfish  (Read 2768 times)
stategirl28
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »

scientific name synodontis eupterus
what do you guys know about this fish? has anyone kept it? could it be kept with say, 5 angles and a school of larger tetras in a 75 gallon tank? i saw them at petsmart and it says they grow to 6 inches, but i know petsmart notoriously under estimates size (at least the do around here). so i did some research and I've found several sites saying they grow to a max of 8 inches and a few that claim 11. 

speaking of larger tetras, just as a poll, between diamond tetras and bleeding hearts which do you prefer and why Smiley? and what would be better w/ angels and this particular catfish?

thanks guys  happy
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »

I have 2 they are about 6" or so.hmmm kind of big and beefy to be around angels and tetras.but mine arent too violent so its possible it could work.

Waiting will fill
Hoots
Ologist of the Flog
Senior Staff

Tanks: 30g platy tank; 29g gourami tank

PBITAWA

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 09:11:45 PM »

Mine succumed to HILE but while I had it, I loved it.  He was still young but was around 7 inches and a big fat butterball.  I had 2 angels in there and it kept them from successfully spawning by eating their eggs.   At night, the tetras might become dinner.

I might say cut the # of angels if you're going to add a school of something just to ease up on the bulky-ness of the fish mass.

Diamond tetras a gorgeous, I don't like the bleeding hearts but it's a personal choice. 

The syno will love tall places it can hang upside down and feel like it's hiding, at first you'll never see it out front but it will come around. 
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 10:36:07 PM »

I had one that I kept with a group of Labidochromis caeruleus. Even though the male Lc had established a territory in a pile of rocks and there were plenty of piles to go around, that cat always wanted in on his pile. Very beautiful, but also very stubborn. I would not recommend placing this critter in with other rift lake cats.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Hollyfish2000

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:23:25 AM »

My eupterus was in an African peacock/hap tank. He hid most of the time. He also would have eventually outgrown my tank (and when they get older they get ugly IMHO). He got a new home.

I personally wouldn't put one in a South American or community tank. I use cories for the "cat" personality in such tanks. I've always been tempted to try some upsidedown cats, though, which I find very interesting looking and which I'm told do fine in a community tank. Sort of look similar to the young eupterus.
stategirl28
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »

ok so maybe not the perfect fist for this set up? hmm.. well considering this tank is just in my head right now i have plenty of time to think about it. kewl i do think i prefer the diamond tetras, i think they are under rated. upside down cats are cool i never really thought of them as bottom dwellers tho, how big do they get? and they school right?
Sweet Pea

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »

Mine holds his own with my African Cichlids.  I named him mean ugly bast..d. LOL. 
Hollyfish2000

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »

The upside down cats don't get big, but they do need schools. They're not what I'd consider "bottom dwellers," though. I didn't realize that was what you were looking for. Then it's cories, my friend, IMHO!
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »

I have found that when Diamond Tetras are housed in a manner that meets all their main requisites, they are really a beautiful fish (I agree also.....under rated). They will take on a nice pinkish glow behind all those shimmering scales. They may get a little larger that the Bleeding Hearts (which are perfectly nice looking in their own right), but not that great of size difference.

In your 75 gal, either would make a nice choice school. happy

[attachment deleted by admin]

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
stategirl28
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »

well cories it is then! i have 5 pandas right now in my 20 gallon and they are my faves. my mom calles them little piggies...not sure why but ok. haha. it kinda funny, ive come up w/ three different ways i could stock this tank and 2/3 have cories in them.
Sweet Pea

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »

I love my panda cory cats, I call then little wiggle butts.  Don't get me wrong, I like my catfish, but it has no fear.  (I on the other hand am do and I avoid him/her).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation