Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 26, 2014, 02:12:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloudy eye or popeye  (Read 3612 times)
dls10
« on: March 20, 2009, 06:18:33 AM »

I bought 2 Iridescent sharks & 2 Picus Cats the day before last and I took one of the sharks back to the store because of what looks like cloudy eye or popeye and now late last night I seen the other fish has got both eyes with the same white  spot in both eyes, so I treated the tank with Maracyn and Melafix as I don't want the rest of the fish to get it and I don't have another tank for a sick tank at the moment. Well I woke up this morning to 2 dead Picus cats but the other shark looks a little better.  I plan on taking the 2 dead and the 1 shark back to the fish store for a store credit as I don't want them replaced being they all came out of the same tank at the store.  So what are the recommendations on making sure that I don't have a sick tank now? should I continue with just the Melfix for 7 days or with both? or does anyone have any other suggestions.
I have a 46 gallon tank
bio wheel filter system
Heavily planted but don't know the name of the plants
The tank has been established for over a year now
nitrates are 0
nitrites are 0
hardness 75
alkalinity 120
ph 7.8
Ammonia 0
Water temp 78
Feed Prime Reef Flakes
These readings are off the test strips but I also have the liquid drops kit (don't remember the name brand ) and the readings are very close to the same .
I do water changes every 2 weeks anywhere from 25% to 50% depending on how much stuff is coming out of the gravel.
Fish
1 iridescent shark
3 flame gouramis
2 boesemans Rainbows
4 danios
1 rainbow shark
1 Rafael cat
SORRY NAMES ARE NOT SPELLED CORRECTLY
I hope I have enough info listed.
Thank you for any suggestions
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:25:06 AM by dls10 » Logged
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »

Since you do not describe an eye bulging out of the head, or otherwise significantly enlarged I am not thinking that pop eye is the issue.  A white spot or hazy film/look to the eye would be something that indicates "cloudy eye".  Cloudy eye is often the result of poor water conditions and clears up as the conditions in the water column is remedied.

It is odd that your tank shows no nitrates.  The biological functioning of the tank would result in some accumulating level of that element of water chemistry.  I wonder if the nitrate test is too old to accurately measure levels.  The ppm's of ammonia and nitrite are also important.  It looks like you do not have tests to measure them.

Given the size of the tank and the population of fish my first suggestion would be to get to a weekly water change frequency of at least a 50% volume.  I would start by beginning with serial (daily) pwc's of 15%-20% for several days and then get to a 50%-60% water change.  Then repeat that large pwc weekly.  Concurrent with he water changes should be thorough gravel vacs.  You want to be meticulous about them.  The idea in your situation is to get to pristine water conditions.

Then you need to look at tank stocking.

The  Pangasius hypophthalmus (iridescent shark) needs to be rehomed.  Like other freshwater species with the "shark" tag it really isn't one.  This guy is a fish that really should not be sold at the local fish stores.  It is a huge catfish.  It grows to 4' in length and is totally inappropriate for home aquaria.  It is a species that makes one shudder when thinking of retailers practices and mutter "there should be a law".  That fish--in home tanks--is a perfect example of animal cruelty.

The flame gouramis are slow moving peaceful fish.  They will not react well to the high level of activity of the Rainbows.  The Rainbows need to be stocked in larger numbers.  The rainbows will not mind the gouramis--the other way around.

The tank should be heavily planted to accommodate the rainbows or gouramis. 

The pictus cats do not go well with the idea of a rainbow and a Rafael. Too much contention for territory at the bottom.

The handling of fish from their original source to home aquaria is often very rugged.  Things like cloudy eye are not uncommon do the handling issues.  The immune system of the fish is compromised during all the moving and they become susceptible to disease issues that are usually not a problem with healthy fish.  Coupling that with water that is of a questionable nature in your tank, and the stresses created by incompatibility in species stocking and the problems blossom.

dls10
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

Thank you Sully for all the info.
I will not be replacing the Picas cats or the Irredesent Shark.  I did got to the fish store and take them in for a fish credit and I had them check my water and they said the water was good no problems, so I then went back to there tanks and I seen 2 of their sharks that had the cloudy eyes also so I am assuming that the fish came that way to me as I had them for only 1 1/2 days when this started to show.
I am very good about doing my water changes vacuuming with a python but I am glad to hear you say weekly  as I keep getting told that I shouldnt do it that often but I have had best results with doing it weekly to every other week depending on how busy I am at work, water changes are usually at least every 10 days.   
As far as the fish population, Thank you again for the info on the sharks, I wish I would have found this site sooner it has so much info, I just love it.   As far as the rainbows are you talking the rainbow shark or the boesemans rainbows????  I do have the tank very heavily planted and havent seen any contention with any of the fish that I have in the tank so far. Of course all the problems started when I bought the 2 picas cats and the Irredesent shark which like I said I will not be replacing with the same fish.  I just dont know now what to replace them with as I only got store fish credit on the ones I took back, any suggestions?  I have gotten to really like the gouramis but dont know if I can put more in the tank and can they be different gouramis?  flame, powder blues, ect....  Do you have any suggestions?
Again thank you so much for all your help and input.
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »

I was thinking of the bows.  Not the sharks.  I am a believer in species tanks for the beautiful bows.  I have had them in the past--they seem to do much better in that kind of environment....and the tanks look spectacular.

I don't think I am too far off the path of what most bowheads would tell you in that regard either--lol.  They are a crazy bunch.  You have to be careful around them.  lmao.
dls10
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »

So I hope I am understanding you, that you would replace the cats and shark with the Boesemans Rainbows.  I really like them to I would just hate to loose my Gouramies if they dont get along well with a school of Boesemans.  Do you think I should wait awhile before putting new fish now into the tank?  I have 30 days to use the credit, and just worried that I could have brought something home from that fish store.  Oh I just thought of something else,,,,, the store I have the credit with does not have any Boesemans, they would have to order them and am I taking a chance with that also?????  Sorry for all the questions I just dont want to make things worse so I will be checking everything here before doing anything from now on.
dls10
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 06:59:05 PM »

WEll now when I got home my rainbow shark has a white spot in his right eye, but it really dont look like it is sticking out, so I took him out of the big tank and pulled the old 10 gallon out of the attic and set up a sick tank, I put him in after getting the water temp correct and the water conditioned with prime and a little aquarium salt, then I added melafix to the tank, he is swimming around like nothing is wrong but i figured I would be best to get him out of the big tank.  If anyone has any other suggestions PLEASE let me know, I hope I am do the right thing to get this under control.
suebe333
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:13:11 PM »

Well , If you have any charcoal carbon in the tank , get it out , the meds wont work with it in there !!!??
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:21:17 PM by russ » Logged
suebe333
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »

wwwwoah ,,  ninja'd Smiley LOL
dls10
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:01:38 PM »

The sick tank at the moment dont even have a filter just 2 air tubes putting air into the tank.
mduros

Tanks: 1 55 gallon freshwater tank, down to 2 opalines, 2 bn plecos, 1 betta, 1 bolivian ram, 3 sidthmunkis, 6 adolfoi cories; 1 20 gallon long amphibian tank (taricha granulosa)

So close no matter how far

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 01:28:46 AM »

Too tired to go into the illness stuff.  Now, the boesemani do need a school of 5 or more.  Do not go more than 5 or 6 in your 45 gallon tank.  They do tend to get to be 4 inches in length.  You will see such a delightful difference in their behaviour when you have more.  Now what Sully says about the compatibility is true, however, I do have a pair of opaline gouramis in with my rainbowfish.  Mama and papa gourami happen to be the "gentle giants" in the tank unless they are breeding of course and then they have been known to kill half of the tank occupants.  I try my best to make the tank as unappealing as possible for their spawning desires.  But because these slow moving, general timid fish are in with a school of such active, largish schooling rainbowfish, they spend 95% of their time hidden away in the plants.  I rarely see them and often forget they are there.  There was a time that I considered rehoming them but I did not because this particular pair seem to be unusually "bonded" to each other and showed such fierce behavioral changes when I separated them that they both would have died had I not reunited them.  And most people do not want a pair of fish that can cause such chaos in their community tanks.  And one other thing, unless you know you have one male and two female flames, expect to lose at least one of your gouramis due to illness brought on by the stress as they get older.  I would not keep multiple male gouramis in that size tank, or even in a 55 gallon like I have.  They can, and will be, very territorial and aggressive with each other whether you witness it or not, and in time the weaker male will perish.  Hope this helps.
Take care,
Mary.
dls10
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 07:00:16 AM »

Mary,
Thank you for the info,,,,, I know i have 1 female for sure but not sure on one of the others as I was told that the females dorsal fin in rounded and the males is pointed, well the one female is a for sure the other male is a for sure but then I have one other I am not sure on but I think it is a male, so should I go get another female?  Oh and I have another question can you put blues in with the flames????  the fish store said you can put blues, flames, pink kissing gouramis all together with no problems, but I thought I was told a long time ago that you can only have flames with flames and blues with blues and so on.
dls10
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 05:14:45 PM »

Ok I had taken the Irredesent sharks back to the fs and have been concentrating on making sure that my tank is clear of any bacteria or what ever, we the other day I seen my rainbow shark had a cloudy area in his one eye so I took him out of the 46 and put him in a 10 gallon to treat him with Melafix and as of today he looks great no white in the eye any longer, but I know you are suppose to treat the fish for 7 days and today would only be day 5, Oh and I have also been putting Melafix in the 46 gal in case there was something in there.  So today when I got home and started my water change I noticed 1 of my Gouramis with a small red spot on its face by its lips so I took him out and put him in a big hurricane bowl as I have run out of tanks, so now my question is, can I put the gourami in with the rainbow shark (in the sick tank that is being treated) or should I put the rainbow shark back in the 46 which is still getting treated with just Melafix?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation