Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 13, 2019, 08:52:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf freshwater puffers  (Read 2165 times)
gloria77503

Tanks: 1 125-gallon; 1 5-gallon, 1 30 gallon hex; 3 1-1/2 gallons, 1 14-gallon, 1 40-gallon, 1 29-gallon, 1 20 gallon

So many fish; so little time and space and money.

« on: March 29, 2009, 10:50:33 PM »

Hello all.  I was surfing the net and found some info on freshwater puffers here.  I know I haven't been here in a LONG WHILE, sorry about that.  Anyway, I wanted to tell about my experience with the freshwater puffers and see if mine are some heretofore unknown species.

Okay, I've had my puffers for 18 months or so now, in community tanks, and they totally ignore the other fish in those tanks. It's like the other fish don't even exist.  At first, I had all five of them in a 30 gallon hex tank, with endlers and some cories and otos.  Then came Hurricane Ike, and we were without power for 9 days afterwards.   I caught as many puffers as I could and put them in my 40 gallon tank - there was still one left in the 30 hex.  I wanted to do this because I had a small compressor that I could run on that tank and the 125 gallon to run the filters a couple times a day for a few minutes each.   I also did water changes 4-5 times a day on the two biggest tanks.

When the electricity FINALLY came back on, there were four puffers still alive, including the one in the 30 gallon who hadn't had nearly the amount of water changes the others had.  I did have a few fish casualties besides that - all my big clown loaches died (I had three small ones that lived), all the big Australian rainbows died, a couple angelicus and yoyo loaches died.  However, the snails survived and thrived and went crazy, so I decided to split the dwarf puffers up to help take care of it. 

I have two puffers in my 40 gallon, one in a twenty gallon and the one still in the 30 hex.  These are all community tanks, and in all cases, the puffers have never bothered another fish or shrimp in those tanks, but they do keep down the snail population. I also give them thawed out frozen bloodworms, etc., twice a week. 

Now, every website I've been to says that these puffers are ferocious little beasts and need to be in a species only tank.  So what I want to know is, do I have some unusual kind of peaceful dwarf puffers?   I figure after 18 months, they have to be full grown, right?   Has anyone else had success keeping these little guys in a community tank?

I got them from Petsmart in the fall of 2007. 

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - Douglas Adams
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:48:09 AM »

My DPs eat shrimp.

The problem with puffers is that they will kill other fish if they decide that they want to. I do not believe that your other fish are safe being in the tank with them but I do believe that they are, for now, living peacefully with other fish.

Yes, my DPs lived peacefully with another fish in their tank for a couple of years BUT I would never recommend keeping DPs in a community tank because I couldn't guarantee another person that the DPs would not kill the other fish eventually.

Good Luck and I hope that helps.

Welcome Back! Smiley

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Sully
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »

Dwarf Puffers--any puffers--are best kept in species tanks.  You are lucky for now.  Good Luck!
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »

Your DPs are unusually sociable.  I have had DPs that never bothered shrimp, and others who would kill shrimp of mass almost equal to their own.  At least one trio of DPs, that ignored Red Cherry shrimp, severely damaged the dorsal and caudal fins of a school of Cory cats with which they were( temporarily) co-housed.   I have not attempted co-housing them with any other fish and would not, nor would I, or suggest that anyone else do so.   

You don't mention any spawning attempts by the fish.  All of my mixed-sex tanks of DPs have at least tried to breed if not always successfully.  That can affect the aggression levels of the fish, and perhaps the protein requirement of the puffs.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
gloria77503

Tanks: 1 125-gallon; 1 5-gallon, 1 30 gallon hex; 3 1-1/2 gallons, 1 14-gallon, 1 40-gallon, 1 29-gallon, 1 20 gallon

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »

Thanks Debra, Sully and RTR.  I do have a 5 gallon tank I could put them in, if they ever become aggressive.   That's not a problem (ha, and it wouldn't be a problem either if I had to buy a ten gallon tank for them...). 

No, I haven't noticed any breeding attempts - and you're right; that could affect the aggression level I suppose.  I hope I continue to have good luck with them too, because they are fantastic at getting rid of the snails.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. - Douglas Adams
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:27:34 AM »

That is one of their preferred diet staples.  They also love live blackworms from a cone feeder, and it is a hoot to watch them eating. 

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
gloria77503

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:11:19 PM »

People keep telling me to get live blackworms.  I will have to give that a try.  Sigh.  Do you have any recommendations for buying them, or for setting up a colony of them or whatever? 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation