Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

February 22, 2019, 04:22:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 90g do i have enough lighting??  (Read 2382 times)
Clint
loachaholic

Tanks: 20G planted, 90g planted up and running 4/09

« on: April 16, 2009, 03:09:19 PM »

I know this is always a hard question as lights, lumen output differ. I have a 4' coralife which runs 2 65watt compacts for 130watts total. This being a 90G i know the WPG rule changes a bit. Tank measure 48" long X 18" wide X 24" deep. Is this enough light to grow low/medium light plants? I think yes, but what do i know, its a guess. whats the consensus on this.

I have Javas a couple Nanas growing on the wood i know they will thrive as they're up higher in the water  column What about those at the bottom. Its certainly brighter then whati was running on my 20g, crypts grew, val no problem.

Other then the depth of the tank its  got the same footprint as a 70 further more, since the wood is in there, i have the light over the plants. Covering the front half of tank rather then trying to light up the whole thing.

What do you plant people say?

20g 3 praecox rainbows, 1 Skunk botias,

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
maura
Bionic Woman
Senior Staff

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »

Clint,

My analysis is the same as yours.  With approx. 1.4 wpg on a tank that's that deep, I think you're looking at mostly low light plants, medium light plants if you can get them higher in the water.

"Middle age...a time of life when everything was predictable and yet somehow you failed to see any of it coming."  Richard Russo, That Old Cape Magic
RTR...Grumpy Ole Fogie

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:43:14 AM »

I like a bit more light, but for the plants you list that is enough.  The val is actually the hungriest of the lot.  The Anubias can take a lot more, but does not require it; the Java Fern is similar.

"Where's the fish?" - Neptune
Clint
loachaholic

Tanks: 20G planted, 90g planted up and running 4/09

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 09:43:14 AM »

I got that 4' light new for $67, and a 24" for $31, wanted more lumens, but i had to cut back, settle on some items for this tank. I do have 2 cans running, i knew where to settle and where not to, i think.

A undercabinet light 4' may not be out of the question, i'll see as the plants grow or don't as the case may be. In my cycling thread i have a plant in the left rear corner sold as wisteria its not, but it is growing nicely new leaves already, the stem roots are growing well. I have a crypt in the front left corner growing new leaves after transplanting already,no melt. the big val i cut back and am waiting to see if it will comeback. Alot of old decayed growth. I wanted to start from scratch on that plant. I pulled it out of a lake here last summer, i can get lots of that for free.

20g 3 praecox rainbows, 1 Skunk botias,

90g 7 boesemani, 2 irian rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows,   7 yoyo loach, 12 Pangio kuhli, 8 oblonga kuhli, 5 zebra loach, 4 clown loaches, 1 rainbow shark, 3 denison barbs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation